Did you mean: 

bank of america card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: bank of america card

@FinStar wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I’m the same boat as you Have 1 Cap1 card at $4500 4.5 years and 1 AU Discover $10300 12 years.  I made an appt with a Bank of America Credit Rep. She thought I would be fine, but I started applying on Lending Tree and got 1 pre-approval but a lot of denials based on not having enough credit history/payments. I did get pre-approved on the Bank of America website, but I have some charge offs with B of A from 2008. The Rep stated they would look at everything and she would advocate for me to the underwriter if I get denied. So I told her yesterday to run my credit apps for business and personal, since they will only count as 1 inquiry.  I’m learning that scores mean nothing these days, everything changed since 2008.

Just for clarification, the BoA site for CCs is not a pre-qualifier portal.  It is simply a recommendation tool for CCs based on simple input criteria.  Individuals have input pet names and whatnot which can yield with a recommendation for a card.   As such, not reliable.   Internal pre-approved offers do exist, but they are more unicorns than anything. 

If it was simple than why ask for personal credit information? Inputting Social Security to me , is they are checking credit 

1.jpg

Message 11 of 15
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

It's an input form which only performs limited pre-screening on the back-end to match the information that will be used for the next step when the application is submitted and processed.

These are simply customized (non-pre-approved) marketing offers based on the overall profile match. The output yields "recommendations", not pre-approved or pre-qualified results. Countless individuals have used that portal only to yield declined results.

Granted, if an individual has a decent or pretty strong profile and uses the portal it would yield the same result as if they had cold applied.
Message 12 of 15
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@FinStar wrote:
It's an input form which only performs limited pre-screening on the back-end to match the information that will be used for the next step when the application is submitted and processed.

These are simply customized (non-pre-approved) marketing offers based on the overall profile match. The output yields "recommendations", not pre-approved or pre-qualified results. Countless individuals have used that portal only to yield declined results.

Granted, if an individual has a decent or pretty strong profile and uses the portal it would yield the same result as if they had cold applied.

Finstar knows of what he speaks. 

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 13 of 15
usaallegiancestore
Established Member

is it better to go in to a branch and apply....

I don't have a bank of america account I am just going off of what the guy who helped me clean up my credit account told me.

Message 14 of 15
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@usaallegiancestore wrote:

is it better to go in to a branch and apply....

I don't have a bank of america account I am just going off of what the guy who helped me clean up my credit account told me.

IME other than the CSR doing most of the typing to fill out the application the process is essentially the same as you doing it online yourself.  However, they can call in immediately and get priority to smooth over bumps if there is an issue.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.