Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

chase 5/24 rule and ? about intro apr

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

chase 5/24 rule and ? about intro apr

hey guys so i have a question, a couple years ago i had the 2 chase freedom cards (freedom and freedom unlimited). chase ended up cancelling cause (im assuming) i maxed out one card and had about 70-80% credit utilization on the other one, i continued to pay fine and finally paid them off. my score is also much higher than the past year becuse i've paid some other cards off.

i also have opened 5 cards in the last 2 years, but i have one card that's about to be 2 years old and i just cancelled about a 3 month old gas credit card with a low limit. my question is, is this safely inside the 2/24 rule by chase? and if i am able to get approved do you guys think i'll qualify for the intro promotions again like the $150 cashback and the 0% interest for xx months?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Five6Two
Frequent Contributor

Re: chase 5/24 rule and ? about intro apr

It would be helpful if you were to list the card and date in which you opened it for us to best assist you. For example:
Card # 1 - 12/10/2018
Card # 2 - 01/15/2019
Etc.
Siggy under construction Smiley Happy
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

A cancelled card counts as one of the five.

once one card enters the 25th month you should be ok to app. Chase is running the promo you described on specific cards. Nobody can tell you wether or not you will qualify for that card.

Message 3 of 12
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

hey guys so i have a question, a couple years ago i had the 2 chase freedom cards (freedom and freedom unlimited). chase ended up cancelling cause (im assuming) i maxed out one card and had about 70-80% credit utilization on the other one, i continued to pay fine and finally paid them off. my score is also much higher than the past year becuse i've paid some other cards off.

i also have opened 5 cards in the last 2 years, but i have one card that's about to be 2 years old and i just cancelled about a 3 month old gas credit card with a low limit. my question is, is this safely inside the 2/24 rule by chase? and if i am able to get approved do you guys think i'll qualify for the intro promotions again like the $150 cashback and the 0% interest for xx months?

Closing your gas credit card has no effect on the computation.

If you opened 24 new revolving accounts within the prior 2 years, then the rule will likely bar you from getting a new card.

Since Chase cancelled a card of yours in the past, you might be barred in any event, so if I were you I wouldn't apply for anything without a prequalification.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 4 of 12
Physh1
Frequent Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Closing your gas credit card has no effect on the computation.

If you opened 24 new revolving accounts within the prior 2 years, then the rule will likely bar you from getting a new card.

Since Chase cancelled a card of yours in the past, you might be barred in any event, so if I were you I wouldn't apply for anything without a prequalification.

I think you mean 5...not 24...

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

The cards were the freedom unlimited and freedom they were opened around January 2017 and closed a few months later, but I never missed a payment and have never been late and paid them off. The other card that should be 2 yrs old is the cap one card which I got August 19, 2017. Now if I do qualify on a new chase freedom card do u think I will receive the intro promotions like the $150 Cashback? Cause if not it’d probably be better to just get an easier card that.
Message 6 of 12
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

IMHO, I don't think Chase will give you another CC especially if you just "recently" paid off the high balances and also due to prior banking relationship. But I could be wrong.

Also, since Chase's rule is 5/24 and you have opened 5 cards in the last 2 years, this disqualifies you from getting their product at this time. So, if you want to get back in with Chase, I suggest waiting until the gas card you closed turns 24 months and then try applying again.

GL2U

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditInspired wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

IMHO, I don't think Chase will give you another CC especially if you just "recently" paid off the high balances and also due to prior banking relationship. But I could be wrong.

Also, since Chase's rule is 5/24 and you have opened 5 cards in the last 2 years, this disqualifies you from getting their product at this time. So, if you want to get back in with Chase, I suggest waiting until the gas card you closed turns 24 months and then try applying again.

GL2U

thanks for the info, i do have one card that is 2 years old as of today so that brings me to 4/24. and yeah i figured because of the recent payoff i might not even be able to get one, but i was still thinking of trying just cause my open accounts will probably go up by a card or 2 and i wanted to just try and get the chase freedom now

Message 8 of 12
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditInspired wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

GL2U

thanks for the info, i do have one card that is 2 years old as of today so that brings me to 4/24. and yeah i figured because of the recent payoff i might not even be able to get one, but i was still thinking of trying just cause my open accounts will probably go up by a card or 2 and i wanted to just try and get the chase freedom now

Then if you're set on applying, give them a call first and see what your chances are--whether you'll be automatically denied or not. At least this way you won't get a HP unecessarily

GL2U. Keep us posted.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 9 of 12
sjt
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
The cards were the freedom unlimited and freedom they were opened around January 2017 and closed a few months later, but I never missed a payment and have never been late and paid them off. The other card that should be 2 yrs old is the cap one card which I got August 19, 2017. Now if I do qualify on a new chase freedom card do u think I will receive the intro promotions like the $150 Cashback? Cause if not it’d probably be better to just get an easier card that.

Since you paid those two cards off with on-time payments, it should be ok. I would wait until 9.1.19 to apply, but I would first check to see if you have any pre-qual offers.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.