Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

chase credit cards, auto loans, and bankruptcy

tag
JcT21
Frequent Contributor

chase credit cards, auto loans, and bankruptcy

i filed ch13 in 2009, since ive been able to have a 100% on time payment history and decent credit scores.   i have credit with other banks and generous credit lines.  i noticed on the chase freedom application they ask if my history is clear of bankruptcy.  since its not, is that an automatic denial?     i wonder if that is true because in august of this year 2014 i was approved with an auto loan through chase with 4.5 rate.   does that mean chase is bk friendly with their credit cards?   ive never had credit with chase before, until this recent auto loan. 

fico scores - March 2024:
TU - 727 | EX - 732 | EQ - 736 |
TCL - 168K - UTIL - less than 1%
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: chase credit cards, auto loans, and bankruptcy

Auto-financing is different in that your loan is secured with the vehicle (or other applicable assets).  For the majority of credit cards, which are unsecured, the landscape is different.  Some lenders may not be as stringent with BK on file but not all, and it would depend on the age of the BK, your entire credit profile as well as other factors such as income, etc. 

For Chase, BK is an "iffy" thing and folks' experiences/outcomes will vary (and more so if you IIB).  You can check the pre-qualification tool to see if any offers display for you or you can apply directly.  Worse case scenario, if you don't get approved, you can cast your fate to the wind and see if Chase is willing to entertain a reconsideration.

Message 2 of 5
stengiz
Regular Contributor

+1. I tried twice last year it was a no go . But I read instances Where people got approved with bk 7 still showing.
last app July 13 2016
Message 3 of 5
Callandra
Valued Contributor

Chase is not BK friendly; you're probably better off waiting for the BK to age more (seems that those who did get approved, BK was just about to fall off anyway) and if they were IIB, you may be SOL. But YMMV.

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 4 of 5
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

Auto loans have a whole different underwriting criteria. I have seen people fresh out of discharge get loans for car.  Secured vs.Unsecured

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.