Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

citi double cash vs chase slate

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

citi double cash vs chase slate

Hi, So I burned both Citibank and Chase back in 2007 and finally in November 2014 the collections are no longer on my credit report. I have recovered by opening a cap one secured  in 2013 to now having a cap one qs visa and  mcc along with discover student and barclays rewards mc. I am really curious to see outcome if I apply for chase slate which according  to ck odds they are good and at same time i have a pre selected cit double cash pre selcted invitation in my hands. Would they both be hps if I get denied because of past history with them? Which one is considered an easier card to get?. Very curious since I burned Citi for $40000 and Chase for $20000.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
SecretAzure
Valued Contributor

Re: citi double cash vs chase slate

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi, So I burned both Citibank and Chase back in 2007 and finally in November 2014 the collections are no longer on my credit report. I have recovered by opening a cap one secured  in 2013 to now having a cap one qs visa and  mcc along with discover student and barclays rewards mc. I am really curious to see outcome if I apply for chase slate which according  to ck odds they are good and at same time i have a pre selected cit double cash pre selcted invitation in my hands. Would they both be hps if I get denied because of past history with them? Which one is considered an easier card to get?. Very curious since I burned Citi for $40000 and Chase for $20000.

I'm interested in these responses. Holy cow those are quite the burns. I think the Slate, for people who have not burned them is usually considered easier to get. Lets wait for the professors to respond.

"Show your thanks with action! Hit the "Kudos" button (the stripe with the star) for every post you find helpful to show your appreciation to the community of great individuals who help you on these forums" -Me

Active Cards: Chevron Texaco, Amex BCE, Barclays Ring, Chase Freedom, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Best Buy Visa, Marvel MCMust garden until 2/1/2022 to hit my goal AAOA. Smiley Indifferent
Message 2 of 12
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

My guess is your black listed. So even though the collections may have fallen off. The memories of those lenders is quite long. So unless you paid them back I think your possibly still banned. From what I understand is Chase has a really long memory and citi has a decently long memory too.

If you were to apply for one or the other. I would suggest citi only because it's rewards card and can be used after. Although I feel like Chase gives out better limits. And slate is mainly for balance transfers so if you don't need a transfer I suggest not applying for it.
BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 3 of 12
SecretAzure
Valued Contributor

@Skye12329 wrote:
My guess is your black listed. So even though the collections may have fallen off. The memories of those lenders is quite long. So unless you paid them back I think your possibly still banned. From what I understand is Chase has a really long memory and citi has a decently long memory too.

If you were to apply for one or the other. I would suggest citi only because it's rewards card and can be used after. Although I feel like Chase gives out better limits. And slate is mainly for balance transfers so if you don't need a transfer I suggest not applying for it.

What if he attempted a secure card with either lender for 6 mos. and then trying for a rewards card after? 

P.S. I have no idea if these 2 even have secure cards, just throwing out an idea

"Show your thanks with action! Hit the "Kudos" button (the stripe with the star) for every post you find helpful to show your appreciation to the community of great individuals who help you on these forums" -Me

Active Cards: Chevron Texaco, Amex BCE, Barclays Ring, Chase Freedom, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Best Buy Visa, Marvel MCMust garden until 2/1/2022 to hit my goal AAOA. Smiley Indifferent
Message 4 of 12
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

Neither offer secured cards from what I have seen.
BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous,

These 2 particular companies have loooooong memories.  So you may have to call in and answer questions as I doubt you will be getting approved online.  Also, never based a decision on CK recommendations.  Those recommendations are for marketing purposes as they get paid when they recomend and you apply through the CK site.

Also, you can have a pre-approval and still get decline.  They are all mostly marketing..

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

so just so I am prepared for online denial what is the recon number to call for citibank?

Message 7 of 12
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

so just so I am prepared for online denial what is the recon number to call for citibank?

Depending on the application's outcome, your best bet is the EO.  Just because it's fallen off your CRs doesn't mean these particular lenders will be so forgiving, let alone forget.  Losses aside, both are well known for very long memories.  Some individuals have reported being able to get back in after a while, but others not so much (10+, 20+ years).

Message 8 of 12
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Citi does have a loooooong memory, I am still BL with them for IIB 18K in 1996. I wont ever try for another one of their cards.

Message 9 of 12
JSS3
Valued Contributor

What is IIB?
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.