cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

do a 6month or 1 year wait on card app spree right after one?

tag
4yearsin

do a 6month or 1 year wait on card app spree right after one?

I just had 4 new accounts about 5 months ago

but i need to get 4 more cards for reward structure to beneift fully for business.

my scores are around 715-730 with Aaoa-4yr10mo one 30 day late from 3 yrs ago

These are all prime cards from Sams Club, Citi,discover,nfcu

How much of diffrence do i have for approval waiting 7 months after approval of new account

verus waiting till there all 1 year. My Credit file is somewhat thin but with alot of 4-15yr+ AU accounts on there.

Is it worth the lose of finical benefit of waitng extra 6 months or is this a auto denial from major banks?

Than you for the help

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: do a 6month or 1 year wait on card app spree right after one?

@4yearsin wrote:

but i need to get 4 more cards for reward structure to beneift fully for business.

How much of diffrence do i have for approval waiting 7 months after approval of new account

verus waiting till there all 1 year. My Credit file is somewhat thin but with alot of 4-15yr+ AU accounts on there.

Is it worth the lose of finical benefit of waitng extra 6 months or is this a auto denial from major banks?

Than you for the help

You don't have to wait but with that many new accounts in such a short period of time, you're probably about to enter diminished returns and denials period. 

If you want approvals, garden at least six months for Citi, Synchrony would probably approve you right now but I wouldn't go near them after app spree, Discover is already very iffy due to app spree and more cards you have, less of desirable customer you become to them.

NFCU, no clue.  

I would suggest you do nothing for a year but that's probably sci fi, so try for six months. 

Message 2 of 9
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@4yearsin wrote:

Than you for the help

When you go 12 months without a new account you might get promoted to a higher scorecard. I would wait until then and see where my scores are before making any decisions.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 3 of 9
4yearsin

so im guessing 1 year will give me better results.

I  just thought anything over 6 months is the same as 12.

so when ppl mention 2/6 4/12= that means theres 2 new under 6 months and 4 new accnts under a year?

Thanks for the ppl on this board.... I've learnt so much last 2 years i doubt i would know withot myfico fourms

If all new accounts i opened were opened on July 2 2022 on CR

does that mean I would i could app spree on JULY 10 2023 and all my apps would be 0/12 and inq would be 0/12

or does one have to wait for all statement cuts so waiting till there about 13mo.

Basically do i wait till 12mo or 13mo after account opens?

This is total cards i need for rewards and home expenses.

So once i Get the rest of the 4. I plan to gardern atleast 2 years.

Also do you have to pay taxes on CB rewards.. So if i made 4k in annual CB , it would be taxed?

Message 4 of 9
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@4yearsin wrote:

so when ppl mention 2/6 4/12= that means theres 2 new under 6 months and 4 new accnts under a year?

Thanks for the ppl on this board.... I've learnt so much last 2 years i doubt i would know withot myfico fourms

does that mean I would i could app spree on JULY 10 2023 and all my apps would be 0/12 and inq would be 0/12

or does one have to wait for all statement cuts so waiting till there about 13mo.

Also do you have to pay taxes on CB rewards.. So if i made 4k in annual CB , it would be taxed?

In reverse order:  if a signup bonus or cashback reward is tied to actually spending money it's generally not taxable.     That's why for example sign up bonuses or cashback on credit cards aren't taxable whereas signup bonuses for opening up checking accounts are. 

Whether it's fine to only wait exactly 12 months or better t to wait until the 1st of the next month instead depends upon the issuer. 

Context matters but 2/6 and 4/12 often do refer to 2 new accounts in the last 6 months/4 new accounts in the last 12.    It can also mean the number of inquiries but when used in that context it's generally called out. 

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 5 of 9
Citylights18
Valued Contributor

When applying for a card within the same issuer e.g. AMEX or Chase they will look at how recent its been since you've opened an account.

With a new issuer they look at inquiries more so than amount of accounts typically. Chase has a 5/24 rule on personal cards that includes all issuers but that isn't the norm but many are super tight on inquires.

Inquiries drop off your report in two years but don't affect your score after 12 months. 6 months however is an important milestone as far as inquiries go with some issuers. Personally if I had 6 months without an INQ (which I do now barely) that would be a good time to go for another product.

Official travel point totals as of 12/26/23 (1,382,693 Total Points)
Chase Ultimate Rewards 661,525 | IHG One Rewards 144,443 | Hilton Honors 143,801 | AMEX Membership Rewards 102,729 | World of Hyatt 90,413 | Marriott Bonvoy 65,343 | Citi Thank You 62,712 | Wells Fargo Rewards 33,652 | Southwest Rapid Rewards 28,105 | United MileagePlus 13,316 | British Airways Avios 12,333 | Jet Blue TrueBlue 11,661 | NASA Platinum Rewards 1,883 | AA Advantage 1,744 | Navy Federal Rewards 792 | Delta Sky Miles 175 | Virgin Atlantic Virgin Points 100 | Lowes Business Rewards 6,992 ($69.92) | Amazon Rewards 475 ($4.75) | Discover CB 499 ($4.99)
Message 6 of 9
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@4yearsin wrote:

1. There are no hard and fast rules; the longer you wait, the better you look to them.

2. I believe it's best to space one's applications out rather than go on "sprees".

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 7 of 9
mgood
Valued Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

1. There are no hard and fast rules; the longer you wait, the better you look to them.

2. I believe it's best to space one's applications out rather than go on "sprees".

Agree. I've done a small spree, so I can't really tell someone else not to try it. But I think you could get one new card every 6-7 months from now on and not raise any alarms. Might double up once in a while and get two at once. It's probably better to wait a year, so you're on that better scorecard for no new accounts opened in 12 months, but that's just too much to ask of most of us, lol.

Starting Score: EQ8 680, TU8 713, EX8 701
Current Score: EQ8 771, TU8 766, EX8 775 as of March 28
Goal Score: EQ8 780, TU8 780, EX8 780

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
AZE5 - 2% Utl - New Accts: 2/6, 4/12, 6/24
Message 8 of 9
805orbust
Valued Contributor

Big fan of the 1-year wait here. Results are much better in my case with new accounts. Increase requests I usually judge by account, issuer, time since last request, and big picture for the product, however for new accounts I usually space them out a year... 2022 being the exception and of course, it resulted in a useless, waste of time approval. 🤣

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.