Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

don't app BofA

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

don't app BofA

this warning is for people with new credit, have thin or short files, or are rebuilders.

BofA used to be freindly to thin files and rebuilders, but not anymore. i apped for a BofA card today and was declined. recon told me that they are a very strict lender now. they don't care about your scores. they want to see accts open a long time and no bad marks. so if you want better chances you need to play all the tricks you can. open accts or loans with them, get on an au card, etc.

on the flipside of that, i had heard barclays was very tough to get in with, saw lots of data suggesting that. but i rolled the dice and got an instant approval. Cat Surprised

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Re: don't app BofA

@Anonymous wrote:

this warning is for people with new credit, have thin or short files, or are rebuilders.

BofA used to be freindly to thin files and rebuilders, but not anymore. i apped for a BofA card today and was declined. recon told me that they are a very strict lender now. they don't care about your scores. they want to see accts open a long time and no bad marks. so if you want better chances you need to play all the tricks you can. open accts or loans with them, get on an au card, etc.

on the flipside of that, i had heard barclays was very tough to get in with, saw lots of data suggesting that. but i rolled the dice and got an instant approval. Cat Surprised

If eligible, have you considered trying to recon for a partially secured credit card $99 deposit for $500 credit line? Their secured card are known to graduate early. At least you can try to salvage that hard pull if you don't mind a secured card. You'll get your foot in the door.

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

While BOA credit cards are hard to get I don’t think they are that strict that you won’t be able to get their products.
1. It really depends what kind of credit card you want. Alaska airlines cc is harder to get than cash rewards. There always a chance to get 99/500 partially secured credit card.
2. If you call 10 times most likely you will hear 10 different stories from UW
3. BOA is relationship type of bank. You have better chance if you have checking, savings or business accounts with them.
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AllZero wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

If eligible, have you considered trying to recon for a partially secured credit card $99 deposit for $500 credit line? Their secured card are known to graduate early. At least you can try to salvage that hard pull if you don't mind a secured card. You'll get your foot in the door.

thats a great idea, i don't know if i want to do that but it's a great idea. so far the pull they did isn't showing on my report, i'm hoping they might have taken it back.

Message 4 of 14
AllZero
Mega Contributor

If you change you mind and haven't put them on your blacklist...

As mentioned up thread, open up a checking account if you don't have one. Go in branch for the Bank Of America Advantage Plus Banking checking account. $0 monthly fee if you meet the requirements.
Message 5 of 14
BallBounces
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Your AAoA is 6 months.  All lenders will approach with some caution, especially if there are several new service lines.

This is not new.

Just based on several of your other posts, and understanding that this is just one person's opinion, your credit health would be well served by a nice break from applications and new accounts, assuming you have appropriate credit today.  Based on 1% UTL it appears you do.  

050719:     
021924:     

FICO 08 scores listed and are stagnated until multiple derogatory items expire over the next two years.
Message 6 of 14
dragontears
Senior Contributor

Well you were warned that an app with BoA at this time would likely be a denial
https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/how-strict-are-BofA-s-new-rules/td-p/57733...
Hopefully you have learned something from this experience
Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@dragontears wrote:
https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/how-strict-are-BofA-s-new-rules/td-p/57733...

yeah i remember that other thread where i was told it would be the end of the world if i apped for another card or two instead of running straight to the garden. the multiple card closing boogieman would get me and all that ridiculous stuff. but the world didn't end and i have an uber card now. there's a lot to learn for everyone here. especially for the people who kudo'd your comment. Cat Happy

Message 8 of 14
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@dragontears wrote:
https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/how-strict-are-BofA-s-new-rules/td-p/5773392

yeah i remember that other thread where i was told it would be the end of the world if i apped for another card or two instead of running straight to the garden. the multiple card closing boogieman would get me and all that ridiculous stuff. but the world didn't end and i have an uber card now. there's a lot to learn for everyone here. especially for the people who kudo'd your comment. Cat Happy

The important thing to keep in mind may also be that while your experience didn't bear any BoA fruit, that doesn't necessarily translate the same for other individuals.   Overall profiles are like fingerprints, no two are alike.

Outside of the myFICO community sphere, plenty of other individuals with relatively new or rebuild-type profiles are getting approved with various BoA CCs, secured or otherwise.   So, while it may seem proactive to 'warn' others, outcomes will definitely vary.   It would be no different from someone creating a very similar 'warning' thread for the Uber card, yet you were able to find success with that. 

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@dragontears wrote:
https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/how-strict-are-BofA-s-new-rules/td-p/5773392

You don't know that you're out of the woods yet with Uber. Getting the card hasn't been as difficult as keeping the card intact has. Almost guaranteed that if you spree right now, you will lose that card. Barclays and Chase are both known to shut down their cards for spreeing after approval. 

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.