Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fico score drop for balance transfer concern

tag
fritscher
Regular Contributor

fico score drop for balance transfer concern

Hi I have recently in the past year got my score up in very good credit area..I feel good because jsut 2 years ago i was at 610 ..Well I recently have been paying down all of my accounts due to change in finances and also acquired some new better credit cards .rather than the ones withe higher interest and annual fees. About a month ago i got Chase Slate and Chase Freedom unlimited and moved my balances over to them from those other cards..i did use about 2500 of the 3000 available credit on both of those to put the other cards on..All was good for a while..last week i purchase my Fico 3B reports with monitoring and when i ran my scores i was in ranges of 739 down to 721 lowest..yesterday when I checked on the 739 dropped to 721 and the 721 to 709 for example..it said because my util on rev cards was like 85 percent but my overall util of all my accounts is 18 percent so just because I shifted money should it drop this much? it is the same balance I had before but just moved to zero interest card..do i now have to pay these two chase cards down asap to get my credit scores back up? I had high util on the other cards too before I moved the money..just confused..thank you for any feedback

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: fico score drop for balance transfer concern

Your individual card utilization matters too so say you have 9% overall utilization but you have 85% utilization on two cards that will drop your score a lot.
Message 2 of 9
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@fritscher wrote:

Hi I have recently in the past year got my score up in very good credit area..I feel good because jsut 2 years ago i was at 610 ..Well I recently have been paying down all of my accounts due to change in finances and also acquired some new better credit cards .rather than the ones withe higher interest and annual fees. About a month ago i got Chase Slate and Chase Freedom unlimited and moved my balances over to them from those other cards..i did use about 2500 of the 3000 available credit on both of those to put the other cards on..All was good for a while..last week i purchase my Fico 3B reports with monitoring and when i ran my scores i was in ranges of 739 down to 721 lowest..yesterday when I checked on the 739 dropped to 721 and the 721 to 709 for example..it said because my util on rev cards was like 85 percent but my overall util of all my accounts is 18 percent so just because I shifted money should it drop this much? it is the same balance I had before but just moved to zero interest card..do i now have to pay these two chase cards down asap to get my credit scores back up? I had high util on the other cards too before I moved the money..just confused..thank you for any feedback

Utilization on individual cards matters. In my case I lose significant points whenever I let a revolving account report as high as 30%.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 3 of 9
elim
Senior Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@fritscher wrote:

Utilization on individual cards matters. In my case I lose significant points whenever I let a revolving account report as high as 30%.

+1

I just reported 29.33% on a 10k card after paying a very large med bill and lost 9 and 10 (eq and ex). I paid it down from 5k before it reported but I guess I should have paid a little more. Regardless OP, utilization has no memory and our scores will rebound when we pay them down again.

ftgghujk.png

Message 4 of 9
newhis
Valued Contributor

@elim wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

+1

I just reported 29.33% on a 10k card after paying a very large med bill and lost 9 and 10 (eq and ex). I paid it down from 5k before it reported but I guess I should have paid a little more. Regardless OP, utilization has no memory and our scores will rebound when we pay them down again.

ftgghujk.png

I read that FICO roundup, so a 29.33% = 30%. As you said, scores will rebound after pay down the debt.

Message 5 of 9
heavyjay
Regular Contributor

Paying credit card interest is money down the toilet. You're scores will rebound and your wallet will be heavier because of the BT's. You did the right thing.

FICO 08:Jan 18, 2017: EX 800 EQ 725 TU 799
FICO 08:Feb 10, 2017: EX 788 EQ 772 TU 791 (post New Year's app spree)
In the garden as of 1/4/2017. Will remain for all of 2017.
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

+1

As others said it is your individual card Utilization.
That being said-its better to take a 20 point drop in FICO to not pay interest. Your scores will rebound when the Utilization goes below 30 and then again below 10.

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
+1

As others said it is your individual card Utilization.
That being said-its better to take a 20 point drop in FICO to not pay interest. Your scores will rebound when the Utilization goes below 30 and then again below 10.

+1 I just charged my new roof on Home Depot with zero interest for 24 months. I know my scores will take a hit, but will come back up when I pay down the account. Zero intrest is good business practice, just my two cents.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Both creditors might be reporting same larger balance for Jan/Feb. I hate that. Barclays if trigger happy when they see that. It will go away by next month, and as you're paying it down your score will increase from less UTIL and more age.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.