Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

help me help my sister...

tag
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

Re: help me help my sister...

I am new on building/rebuilding credit, so this should be taken as second opinion, not as expert advice. I would go ahead and do the Amex, and then sit tight for a year other than perhaps requesting CLIs. The reason I say that is, that would be three cards, and getting in with Amex at an early age is a good thing IMO. I wouldn't worry about utilization much at this point as long as she doesn't start carrying balances and paying a lot of interest. She's off to a great start (better than my current situation), good luck!

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 11 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Another Capital One card? Maybe Co-Branded Cap 1 card. Barclay should be easy to get. Or just go for the Amex.
1. She needs an installment trade line for a stronger profile.
2. At this point she might not get anything over $1000 SL

Message 12 of 15
avp99
Frequent Contributor

Has she tried BB&T?  they have approval on soft pull.  I would try, i mean what is the worst that can happen since it is a soft pull anyway.

Message 13 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had those cards, and a couple small store cards. I got offers for odd banks, but went for a mainstream BT card. Then another. Even tho my first Citi Diamond Pref had no points I could BT, it got me a Discover BT, then I got a new Citi DC (which also can BT if need be, lol), and finally that Nordy VS you mentioned!
But Balances to be transferred always tend to go higher with nice 0% rates to start. Like Chase Slate, or Citi Simplicity, or a new Cap One. I just PC my old Cap1 Plat to a Venture and another to a QS.
But, yeah. If you can look for a BT, they usually give scores around 680 a chance to clear their other cards and then you have a bigger, better card.
And I would REALLY fix that SSN thing.
That might, ... help. Heh! 😋
Message 14 of 15
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

She might also want to check out Petal or Deserve cards.

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.