cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is there a way to check internal score with navy federal before applying for their cc??

tag
Janneman
Established Contributor

is there a way to check internal score with navy federal before applying for their cc??

recently my application for flagship card denied. i want to check my internal score with them. have checking, saving, money market, cashRewards (now converted to platinum), pledge loan and direct depositing with this cu. denial letter mentioned internal score-254...how come?

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Jordan23ww
Valued Contributor

Re: is there a way to check internal score with navy federal before applying for their cc??

Sorry to hear about your denial. The only way I've seen to get the internal score is after applying for one of their credit products (credit cards or loans).  To my knowledge they won't share this info with you otherwise.  

Message 2 of 19
SUPERSQUID
Valued Contributor

Re: is there a way to check internal score with navy federal before applying for their cc??

Approval or denial letters from NAVY will include the internal score. The only way to find out what it is you have to app for a credit product with them. the factors that determine the NAVY internal score are a mystery.

{ BK7 DC 12/2019 } target 1600/ kohls Visa 7000/ discover IT cb 6500 / 2nd discover IT cb 6000/mercury 4100 / firestone 2800 /legacy 3000 /first savings bank cc 3000/ cap1 QS 5000/ cap 1 savor one 3100 /Bread rewards Amex 4k, Penfed PCR signature visa 10k/ penfed gold 7.5k NFCU >signature visa cash rewards 21700/bread cashback amex 8000

>/ nfcu platinum 15k, BABY NEEDS NEW SHOES !!!!!
closed-- reflex, applied bank, first digital, mission lane, ikea, fingerhut, big lots, valero gasoline, ollo, more to come
Rebuilding since September 2020
who i burned - chase, cap 1, TD bank, Sync, were the biggies
Income 40k
Total utilization around 20 pct depending on my current usage/needs
Ficos in the 680 - 690 range, the 9's slightly higher than the 8's
My vantage scores 708 - 711
TCL - about 110k
Retired since 2017
Message 3 of 19
W261w261
Frequent Contributor

I just got a CLI from Navy after 95 days on a new MR card. Starting CL was 2100, I apped for +8,000, but was awarded a 3x to 6300. Definitely better than nothing.

The letter that arrived started off like a rejection, like "we're sorry but we couldn't approve" etc. Then listed a few reasons. Only then did they say "But, we did give you a 4200 increase..."

I actually liked this, because it was sort of framed as a rejection, and I thought it would also contain my internal score, but no! Nada. I carefully looked on both sides of the 2 pages. Darn. 

Message 4 of 19
W261w261
Frequent Contributor

Oh, BTW, on the original approval letter for the MR card, and a recent CLI on the Visa Sig, there was no internal score given. 

Message 5 of 19
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@Janneman wrote:

recently my application for flagship card denied. i want to check my internal score with them. have checking, saving, money market, cashRewards (now converted to platinum), pledge loan and direct depositing with this cu. denial letter mentioned internal score-254...how come?

Navy doesn't make their formula for "internal score" public, @Janneman.  While some of us have hypothesized that having a variety of banking products like you do helps, there's no real proof.  Maybe your score would be 188 without all those products?   I believe there are FICO-type variables that go into the internal score as well, so if you have any derogatories, late pays, collections, those could be affecting you.  They do seem to reward length of membership with them, so if you opened all of those accounts up in 30 days, it may not tip the scale as much in your favor as-if you did it over two years, for example.  The good news is that as your length of membership increases and if you continue to build a strong overall credit file, your internal score will likely also increase.  

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 6 of 19
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@W261w261 wrote:

Oh, BTW, on the approval letter for the MR card, and a recent CLI on the Visa Sig, there was no internal score. 

Yea I think they only give you your internal score when you're *rejected* only. Not with an approval. 

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 7 of 19
zerofire
Valued Contributor

The only way to get your internal score is by applying and getting rejected. There are no other known ways. It might be possible to ask a rep for it since as a member your their boss but I would not bet on it. If you get any kind of approval then they do not have to give you any score.

TU:837 09/19/23 Bank of America--EX: 841 09/20/23 Experian--EQ:832 09/21/23 myFICO--Gardening since N/A
Active:
Bank of America (Unlimited Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards VSC), Capital One Walmart WMC, Chase(Amazon Prime VSC, Freedom Flex WEMC [x2], Freedom Unlimited VC), Citi Dividend MC, Citizens GreenSense MC, Curve WEMC, Discover It C, FNBO Ducks Unlimited VSC, PenFed (Platinum Rewards VSC, Pathfinder Rewards VSC), Synchrony Bank PayPal Cashback MC, UMB Bank Simply Rewards VC[Milford Federal], US Bank (Altitude Go VSC, Cash+ VSC [x2], Pick n Save/Metro Market WEMC)
Wishlist: AAA Daily Advantage Visa, AOD Signature, Bellco Colorado Rewards, Citi Custom Cash, EBates, Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards, Ollo Optimum, Redstone Signature, Security Service Power Travel Rewards, Vantage West Connect Rewards
Message 8 of 19
Janneman
Established Contributor

@Aim_High wrote:

@Janneman wrote:

Navy doesn't make their formula for "internal score" public, @Janneman.  While some of us have hypothesized that having a variety of banking products like you do helps, there's no real proof.  Maybe your score would be 188 without all those products?   I believe there are FICO-type variables that go into the internal score as well, so if you have any derogatories, late pays, collections, those could be affecting you.  They do seem to reward length of membership with them, so if you opened all of those accounts up in 30 days, it may not tip the scale as much in your favor as-if you did it over two years, for example.  The good news is that as your length of membership increases and if you continue to build a strong overall credit file, your internal score will likely also increase.  

Im NF member for 11 yrs..all these years hv checking a/c (my daily drive a/c), saving a/c, money market a/c, direct depositing, (since 11 yrs), pledge account. Never have any collections, late pays, no any derogatories, dti is nothing and i hv CashRewards for many years with huge CL...yet still they denied me for flagship card by saying that my internal score is 268. I hv CashRewards for many years and all other accounts for 11 yrs. What I am missing?

Message 9 of 19
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@Janneman wrote:

@Aim_High wrote:

@Janneman wrote:

Im NF member for 11 yrs..all these years hv checking a/c (my daily drive a/c), saving a/c, money market a/c, direct depositing, (since 11 yrs), pledge account. Never have any collections, late pays, no any derogatories, dti is nothing and i hv CashRewards for many years with huge CL...yet still they denied me for flagship card by saying that my internal score is 268. I hv CashRewards for many years and all other accounts for 11 yrs. What I am missing?

Not much. This kinda shows the point that having everything with them won't necessarily make one get high limits or other products rom them. Some people believe parking alot of money will open their cofers but as you can see not true. Like any lender their algos are mysterious all you can do is keep tryingSmiley Happy

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.