Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pre-approval and Chase Blacklist

tag
bRICrEAW
New Contributor

pre-approval and Chase Blacklist

Chase told me I was blacklisted last year when I tried to recon after being denied for Amazon Visa for the second time. However, the analyst did state at the time that I might be eligible for a Chase card at some point in the future, and I am welcome to try whenever if I would like as I may not be banned forever. She did not have a clue how long I would be blacklisted is what she stated. She was unwilling to approve my Amazon Visa application. Chase was included in my bk7 almost 11 years ago. I just got an offer in the mail for the Sapphire Reserve. My ficos are now around 800. I have no negatives and only a couple of inquiries within the past 12 months. I tried the preapproval website to see if the website says I am preapproved too, and I still get the same no offers message. Do you think I could be approved since I was told I was blacklisted, or maybe I could try another Chase card?  Or maybe I should just ignore the offer from the mail and wait a few more years? I still want a Chase card, but I am skeptical and don't want to waste an inquiry

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: pre-approval and Chase Blacklist

I think  you should just go with another bank. There is no need to be upset over this. The final approval stops when they check their "black list". Pre approval does not take that into consideration. It only checks your current scores etc. Just move on to anothr bank. Synchrony closed all of my accounts a year ago , I did nothing wrong yet I am probably black listed there. So I will never apply for another card from Synchrony and you should avoid Chase.

Thanks

Mark

Message 2 of 20
bRICrEAW
New Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I think  you should just go with another bank. There is no need to be upset over this. The final approval stops when they check their "black list". Pre approval does not take that into consideration. It only checks your current scores etc. Just move on to anothr bank. Synchrony closed all of my accounts a year ago , I did nothing wrong yet I am probably black listed there. So I will never apply for another card from Synchrony and you should avoid Chase.

Thanks

Mark

Thanks for the advice. I think you are probably right. I did not know that about the approval process. I have also been thinking about the Citi Custom Cash, but they were in my same BK7. I think they are supposed to be more lenient and forgiving than Chase, but I don't know if I might be blacklisted for that. I also got a preapproval for this card in the mail. Do you think Citi will be more lenient and approve this card if I applied?

Message 3 of 20
jaxstraw
Valued Contributor

@bRICrEAW wrote:

Chase told me I was blacklisted last year when I tried to recon after being denied for Amazon Visa for the second time. However, the analyst did state at the time that I might be eligible for a Chase card at some point in the future, and I am welcome to try whenever if I would like as I may not be banned forever. She did not have a clue how long I would be blacklisted is what she stated. She was unwilling to approve my Amazon Visa application. Chase was included in my bk7 almost 11 years ago. I just got an offer in the mail for the Sapphire Reserve. My ficos are now around 800. I have no negatives and only a couple of inquiries within the past 12 months. I tried the preapproval website to see if the website says I am preapproved too, and I still get the same no offers message. Do you think I could be approved since I was told I was blacklisted, or maybe I could try another Chase card?  Or maybe I should just ignore the offer from the mail and wait a few more years? I still want a Chase card, but I am skeptical and don't want to waste an inquiry

Was the offer in the mail a pre-approval with a fixed APR ?

Or was it just an offer to apply ?

Huge difference.

Jax

*************************************************************************************
Then you are a fool. Be thankful that when God gave you a face, he gave you a fool's face
Message 4 of 20
bRICrEAW
New Contributor

Would this fixed APR rule apply if I was actually blacklisted though? From what I have heard, applying is the only way to know if I am blacklisted by Citi. I just didn't know if I could have a chance, but I have heard that they don't blacklist as long as issuers like Chase after BK.

Message 5 of 20
Caardvark
Frequent Contributor

If you are under 5/24 and have very few inquiries, there is little risk in applying. It's the only way to find out if you are off or not. I just posted my wife's experience and I think it's relevant to you. She burned Chase in 2012 for over $20K (No BK). She's never app'd for a Chase card since b/c we assumed she was on the blacklist but with minimal inquiries and two accounts in the last two years we figured, "nothing ventured, nothing gained" and app'd for the Sapphire Preferred and was instantly approved. 

Her scores are around 825

2/24 prior to app

4 inquiries in last 24 months but 2 were for mortgage refinance

HH income $275K

Message 6 of 20
jcooks
Established Contributor

I was on Chase blacklist after a paid for less CO about 10 years ago.  Had to call recon twice, but finally approved for toy limit on a Freedom Flex.  This was done in March/April of this year.  Just a few weeks ago, I had an Auto CLI to $1200.  Just waiting to see preapprovals come up before I try to get another CLI.  IMO, a HP is well worth it.  At the end of the day, it's only a HP, not the end of the world especially with low INQ.

Message 7 of 20
JLRDC909
Frequent Contributor

I wish I could tell you what these issuers think.  

I know for a fact that If you ever burn Barclays, it's pretty much it. They have a policy that if they took a loss in the past they don't want to currently do business with you. But these are one of those areas that YMMV. I'm sure some people slip through the cracks and get the impossible approval. 

I have read instances where people burned Chase and got back in. I've also read where people were over 5-24 and got approved with a cobranded card, such as the United Visa. But just as these are odd exceptions, some people who have never burned Chase and have perfect scores can't get back into the fold. If you have a pre-approval for the CSP, with a solid APR, this might be the closest thing to an approval. I have read where lately this card seems to be one of the easier Chase cards to get. 

We all hate denials, but this is a good chance to see if you are still on "the list " 

JR
Message 8 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd open a checking and savings account and park a few bucks in it. Some people disagree with this approach but it worked for me.

Good luck

Message 9 of 20
YoungMoney06
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'd open a checking and savings account and park a few bucks in it. Some people disagree with this approach but it worked for me.

Good luck

I'm curious about this method my own self. I just opened a Chase Checking account within the last year in hopes that the transactions and my direct deposit would help get me back in with Chase after defaulting on a card for $1k in 2015. Of course, the defaulted account is still on my CR... but would like to get back in with Chase eventually... even opened a Business Checking account with them for a new venture I'm working on.

My Wallet (Updated Sept 2023):
Store Cards:

Major Cards:

In Timeout:

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.