Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what credit score do you need for home depot credit card

tag
CreditUnionFan
Valued Contributor

Re: what credit score do you need for home depot credit card

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you I appreciate the reply. I will give just one more month. I have a pre-approval Citi Bank Double cash back with 0% Apr for 6 months than 24.1% APR after. It said apply by 4/1/15 so given that citi bank issues the home depot card I might catch my odds on that day. I will first apply for Home Depot post my results here on the forum. If I am denied I will recon and post those results here. also if I wait till 4/1/15 my scores can increase after my payment cycles

Ask yourself, what is it about the Home Depot that makes it desirable? Are you planning a large purchase where the promotional financing would be advantageous?

If you have an existing preapproval for the Double Cash card, I'd take that offer first. My reasoning is that if you're preapproved as is, the Citi Double Cash is a great card to have for overall spending. I think you have some reason to try to recon the Home Depot decision if you're declined, or if the initial CL isn't enough for your planned purchase.

As you pointed out, both cards are issued by Citibank divisions, but they still don't function exactly the same. 

Also, if you're buying supplies for a home contracting business, check out Home Depot's "commercial" cards.

I was going to garden... Honest!
Message 11 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

After your comment I am planning more to only apply for the Citi double cash back. if aapproved I can build some relationship with citi bank and go for there store cards in a later time. The only reason I am benting on the home depot credit card is because I have a multi family owned propetry I am fed up with purchasing material without having the option to carry a balance with zero apr. I would consider the commercial credit card but idk what the procedure and qualifications are and don't have the family business in my name and the business credit score is horrible Idk if that even matters.
Message 12 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
After your comment I am planning more to only apply for the Citi double cash back. if aapproved I can build some relationship with citi bank and go for there store cards in a later time. The only reason I am benting on the home depot credit card is because I have a multi family owned propetry I am fed up with purchasing material without having the option to carry a balance with zero apr. I would consider the commercial credit card but idk what the procedure and qualifications are and don't have the family business in my name and the business credit score is horrible Idk if that even matters.

Have you considered Lowe's? It's backed by Sync bank and they seem to be a little easier to get than Home Depot and easier to get CLIs with. DH was approved for 3K and before the card even came, he was able to get bumped up to 25K as have many other members of the forum. We considered Home Depot  but have read that they are hard to get CLIs with and the card is not very useful if it has a low limit. I have a Citi DC with a low limit and didn't want to risk another low limit with Home Depot. YMMV Good luck. 

Message 13 of 39
CreditUnionFan
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Well, the way I am, I'd apply for both credit cards, and for me it's just a matter of which one to apply for first. 

The Citi DC is great for the 2% rewards. 

If interest-free financing of six months is the goal, there are consumer versions available from both Lowes (Synch) and Home Depot (Citi).

If you're running a business and potentially paying interest attributable to the business income, then those purchases should be separated anyway. Home Depot and Lowes both offer 'commercial' credit cards that don't seem to offer the promotional financing offers, but do offer 5% discounts up front, with the option to carry a balance, although not for a promotional zero rate.

Message 14 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the info option for Lowe's card. i went ahead and called the home depot credit card customer service regarding both commercial & regular card. I found out The regular home depot card is pulled from one of the 3 bureau usually EQ and they want atleast a minimum Fico score of 650. As you saw In my title of my fico from all 3 bureau ranges from 646-660. So yes I am in the bubble.
Message 15 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey good news everyone I promised to give you all an update. so I ended up applying for the home depot card. . Was told to call to verify information. I was instantly approved for $500 I requested a credit line increase for $2000 and they instantly approved it all in one hard pull. I really wanted $3000 but didn't want to push my luck I'll request a cli in 6 months thank You all for the advice my Card arrives in 7-10 bussiness days.
Message 16 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nice! Congrats on the approval, and good for you for instantly requesting a CLI. No harm in trying at that point, since you're already approved!

Message 17 of 39
CreditUnionFan
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Hey good news everyone I promised to give you all an update. so I ended up applying for the home depot card. . Was told to call to verify information. I was instantly approved for $500 I requested a credit line increase for $2000 and they instantly approved it all in one hard pull. I really wanted $3000 but didn't want to push my luck I'll request a cli in 6 months thank You all for the advice my Card arrives in 7-10 bussiness days.

Congrats! Which one did you apply for?  Consumer, Commercial, or Commercial Revolving?

Although not tied to the credit card specifically, be sure to check out the Pro Xtras program.

Message 18 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

I applied for the consumer. I get a 6 month financing 0% intrest preety good I will get the commercial later down the road 

Message 19 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

i was approved for home depot last night for $2000.00 temp. limit, they always have turned me down, i have had high scores and plenty of established credit, but last night they pulled my experian report and i was a 660 with over 50 new accounts and 35 inq's, so explain that one, i did it in the store on my birthday!

Message 20 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.