Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: what credit score do you need for home depot credit card

I was approved for $7,000. My TU score was a 646
Message 21 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nice I love the update. So as I told you all I was approved for the consumer credit card with a $500 limit and asked for $2000 approved all in one hard pull. Last month I requested $8000 I was sent over to the citi bank underwriter I was on the phone with him for almost 45min I only got approved for $6000 oh well my fico at the time was 684 and increased to 694 I'll request 10K next year since I am planning to remodel my bathroom. For now 6K is perfect. To be honest I didn't even think I would get it up to 6K
Message 22 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all. So I'm totally new to this site and forgive me if I sound a bit nerdy or silly, but I appreciate all the positive comments and support as well as all the great information everyone provides.

I'm purchasing a house (already signed everything with the lender, etc), and have credit scores of about: EX 660, EQ 680, TU 690. I'm paying off about 3k in debt in the next month or so in preparation to apply for a Home Depot card (to add some things to the house). I already have a Lowe's card which I obtained almost 2 years ago and based on the information I've read, I'm going to ask them for a CLI soon. They only gave me $300 to start (but my credit was much worse at that time), so I'm optimistic I can get a decent amount more ($10k perhaps?). But I'll ask for a higher amount and they hopefully will meet me in the middle.
I do have many cards with many creditors, but I'm paying more than half of them off in the next 8-10 months, reducing my debt by around 10k, which will be nice.

I didn't mean this to be such a long post, but I just wanted to thank everyone on here for such great support. Like I said, I'm new, but I do have some experience with applying for a bunch of types of credit, so please feel free to ask away.

Thanks!
Message 23 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

first off, congrats on the house! what exactly do you mean by signed everything? I would wait to apply for anything until you have those house keys in your hands. With the scores you provided,call the back of your lowes card and ask them for 25k, if it counters you'll be surprised how much you'll still be getting.This would also be considered a (SP) soft pull. Just tell them you purchased a home and unfortunately the current limit wont necessarily cut the expenses i would like to purchase at your store .As far as home depot , i cant really help you there, as i don't have much information on that card.I do know its based on citi bank which doesn't start off with a high Starting lines (SL)IMO, as synchrony bank would(lowes). good luck with everything!
Message 24 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

Racer: thanks for the kind words! I meant that I signed the loan docs, contract, etc, so it's all set.  I actually did call Lowe's and they flat out denied me anything. Didn't even offer me a penny more over the $300 I have had for the past 2 years. Weird. Not sure what else to do. It seemed like, from the other posts, it would have been easy, but I guess not. I informed them that I did purchase a home and was planning on remodeling and asked for $20k. They put me on hold for a few minutes and just said I'm not qualified for any increase at this time. Darn.

Message 25 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditUnionFan wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you I appreciate the reply. I will give just one more month. I have a pre-approval Citi Bank Double cash back with 0% Apr for 6 months than 24.1% APR after. It said apply by 4/1/15 so given that citi bank issues the home depot card I might catch my odds on that day. I will first apply for Home Depot post my results here on the forum. If I am denied I will recon and post those results here. also if I wait till 4/1/15 my scores can increase after my payment cycles

Ask yourself, what is it about the Home Depot that makes it desirable? Are you planning a large purchase where the promotional financing would be advantageous?

If you have an existing preapproval for the Double Cash card, I'd take that offer first. My reasoning is that if you're preapproved as is, the Citi Double Cash is a great card to have for overall spending. I think you have some reason to try to recon the Home Depot decision if you're declined, or if the initial CL isn't enough for your planned purchase.

As you pointed out, both cards are issued by Citibank divisions, but they still don't function exactly the same. 

Also, if you're buying supplies for a home contracting business, check out Home Depot's "commercial" cards.

+1 I got a Home Depot card about 10 years ago and my initial limit was $3000 and they bumped me rather quickly to $6000. If you are planning a big purchse, the 0% interest for 6 months feature is very good. But, honestly, other than that, if you're making tons of purchases, I would put those balances on rewards cards. If you can score a rewards card with 0% intro apr then you're getting best of both worlds. Also, I hate citibank lol. For personal reasons.

Message 26 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Racer: thanks for the kind words! I meant that I signed the loan docs, contract, etc, so it's all set.  I actually did call Lowe's and they flat out denied me anything. Didn't even offer me a penny more over the $300 I have had for the past 2 years. Weird. Not sure what else to do. It seemed like, from the other posts, it would have been easy, but I guess not. I informed them that I did purchase a home and was planning on remodeling and asked for $20k. They put me on hold for a few minutes and just said I'm not qualified for any increase at this time. Darn.

Did you call the backdoor number listed in the sticky for backdoor numbers.  I started at 300 also and I tried the number on the card several times with no luck, as soon as I called the backdoor number I got it incresed to 12000 and I think my tu score was 679 at the time.  So I would think you'd get that or more.  

Message 27 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry for my ignorance, but what is the "sticky" you are referring to? I don't know where to find that backdoor number (I'm brand new to this site so I apologize if I don't know too much yet as far as acronyms or other terms). Thank so much!

Message 28 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

Be aware, I've asked for CLI twice and they hard pulled me twice! Had I known that I wouldn't have wasted the hard pull.

Message 29 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lol, no problem, we've all been new here at one time and had to ask for help, That's what is great about this forum.   Plenty of people that have been there and done that.  The sticky is a thread at the beginning of the Credit Card pages titled Helpful threads and once opened you'll see several links, one of which is backdoor numbers.  There is a way to post a direct link, but I'm not smart enough to figure that one out.   lol

@Anonymous wrote:

Sorry for my ignorance, but what is the "sticky" you are referring to? I don't know where to find that backdoor number (I'm brand new to this site so I apologize if I don't know too much yet as far as acronyms or other terms). Thank so much!

The numbers for Synchrony (lowes) are 1-866-519-6441, and 1-877-379-8173.

They will ask you several questions like income, how much of a credit line increase you need (ask for 25000, they will counter with lower if you don't qualfy), put you on hold for a minute to review your report and hopefully come back with good news

Let us know how it goes.  

Message 30 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.