Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

18 year old approved for $5k AMEX BCE

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

18 year old approved for $5k AMEX BCE

So, I’m 18 years old and started building credit the day I turned 18. I started with the Discover It secured card with a $400 limit. In August, I got Apple Card with a small $250 limit. I also got added as an authorized user on a card with a $10,200 limit.

My Discover Card is still secured with the $400 limit as my 6th statement is about to come. My Apple Card still has a $250 limit and my recent request for a CLI was denied due to me not having a FICO score yet.

Today, Experian notified me that my FICO score had finally generated after six months of waiting, and they said it was 754! I filled out a pre-qualification form from Amex just hoping to see that I would be pre-approved for *something* instead of getting the usual “no offers for you!” message.

To my surprise, I was pre-qualified for the Amex Blue Cash Everyday, a card I’ve wanted to get as a first Amex card. After some contemplation, I bit the bullet and decided to risk a hard inquiry and apply, just hoping for a $1,000 limit after 6 months of diligent work with two frustratingly low credit limits.

Amex approved me for a $5,000 limit. I’m speechless! This is proof that you can go from no credit score to well on your way to a mortgage and greater things with some diligent work.
Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Re: 18 year old approved for $5k AMEX BCE

Congratulations on your approval!
Message 2 of 25
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Congratulations!

Message 3 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

The authorized user held the most weight... Because it generated the score. The secured cards weren't seasoned enough to hold weight. Without that AU I highly doubt you would have been approved for 5k right along a AMEX. Congrats buddy... Sky's the limit from here.
Message 4 of 25
Medic981
Valued Contributor

Congratulations! Treat your credit with respect and it will treat you well in return.

Your FICO credit scores are not just numbers, it’s a skill.
Message 5 of 25
GApeachy
Super Contributor

Congrats!  Set up autopay.

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 6 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your approval.

Message 7 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

First off congrats! The fact you are so credit focused at 18 is really great. Keep those scores up!

Second, people continue to underestimate the value of authorized users. It is still the best thing you can do for a young person to give them a huge boost in the credit game. Bravo to you. 

@Anonymous , do you mind sharing what income (ballpark) you told Amex? Since we know your other DPs (thin file, new file, no derogs)

Message 8 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I figure the authorized user card was the primary reason for me getting this high credit limit. However, wouldn’t a FICO score generate with six months of history from any credit card? The AU card was a brand new card opened in August, so there was no prior account age to help me. I figured I’d get a credit score no matter what in January, but it would probably be around 680 or 700 without the Chase Sapphire Preferred.
Message 9 of 25
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Rock on! Please credit responsibleSmiley Wink Average Joes Dos X'sSmiley Wink
Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.