cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 AMEX Approvals?!?

tag
NinaBean216

2 AMEX Approvals?!?

I am an official member of the AMEX club!! I was approved for a Delta SkyMiles Gold card at $1k earlier today. I was pre-qualified on the site and have been for a while but was scared to apply. (So glad I did). An itch in my palm persuaded me to apply for another so I chose the Hilton Honors Card. Instantly approved for $1k. Starting limits not high but I can work with it. My scores were just in the mid 500's in December of 2017. Current FICO 8 Scores are EQ 631 TU 637 and EX 654. Current util is 12% and will be lower once CR updates. So now I have my Navy Fed Cash rewards $10k, BofAmericard $1300, 2 Cap1's at $1250/$1200, Discover secured $200 (all I could afford at the time). I have store cards with Military Star, VS, Ulta, Wayfair, Express and Amazon Prime, all with balances under $1k.

I'm hoping to get those to grow,  I definitely need to lay low and garden for a while. I'm so happy and grateful for all of the advice I received on these forums. Everything helped. Just wanted to share the news :-)

And if anyone has any advice on how to make the best use of these cards to maximize my scores please share, I'm looking into maybe purchasing my first home in 6 - 9mths.

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 2 AMEX Approvals?!?

Congrats on double wammy Approval .. time to garden those cards

Message 2 of 10
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Big gratsSmiley Happy Use , pay in full, rinse and repeat. Let Amex know you mean businessSmiley Wink
Message 3 of 10
drboxing
Established Contributor

Congrats and welcome to the Amex Family

Message 4 of 10
seattlecredit08
Frequent Contributor

Big, Big 2X Congrats!!

A related question-- with AMEX specifically, what would be a better strategy for someone whose EX score is right on the edge of the approval (e.g. 670 or so) but is projected to go to 720 in 3-4 months based on some negatives falling off.

In other words, what would be a better strategy likely to lead to a higher eventual limit (e.g. in 1 year):

Get the foot in the door so to speak with a minimum limit and try for a CLI at every opportunity?

OR

Wait 3-4 months and try to start with a higher limit and then still try for a CLI?

Thanks!!

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on the Delta Gold and Hilton Honors. Hoping to have both myself soon. Nina, do you mind if I ask what your AAOA was before the Delta and Hilton cards? Thanks.
Message 6 of 10
SomewhereIn505
Valued Contributor

@seattlecredit08 wrote:

Big, Big 2X Congrats!!

A related question-- with AMEX specifically, what would be a better strategy for someone whose EX score is right on the edge of the approval (e.g. 670 or so) but is projected to go to 720 in 3-4 months based on some negatives falling off.

In other words, what would be a better strategy likely to lead to a higher eventual limit (e.g. in 1 year):

Get the foot in the door so to speak with a minimum limit and try for a CLI at every opportunity?

OR

Wait 3-4 months and try to start with a higher limit and then still try for a CLI?

Thanks!!

I would wait for the higher scores. Please post in the application section of the forum to get more help and to not hijack OPs approval. 

Congrats OP!

edited for spelling while posting at a weird hour

3/16/18 FICO9 TU-700 EQ-669 EX-716
6/26/18 FICO9 TU-750, EQ-672, EX-789

Message 7 of 10
NinaBean216

@Blulinr8 Thanks!! My AAOA is 3.2 years.
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations on your two Amex approvals!!
Message 9 of 10
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Congrats and wait. Though being on the cusp at 670 no longer holds true with people getting Amex at sub 645Smiley Wink
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.