Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 Apps/Approvals: Citi Executive & Amex BCP

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

2 Apps/Approvals: Citi Executive & Amex BCP

Howdy!

New member -- first post and am learning a lot from following the site. Until recently I never much thought about what I carried in my wallet, kinda just picked up cards here and there. I got my first card when I was 19, a Capital One (I don't remember which one, but they did away with it and my account was changed to Quicksilver a few years ago.) That was my everyday carry for many years, but I mostly stuck to using check/debit cards for my purchases. I married into USAA, and picked up a Visa Cash Rewards [was actually a Master Card before they fired them] as part of my intial account opening. I was made an AU on my spouse's card [Amex Cashback Rewards] and begain utilizing my credit a little more. I didnt much care about card benefits, and didn't want to mess around with any kind of annual fee. But then I started traveling more, got into better paying positions, and have come to the point where I want to be rewarded more for using certain cards. I applied for the Citi Advantage Platinum Select a couple years ago, and that's been my everyday. Finally, a couple weeks ago, I decided that I wanted to start maximizing my benefits, so am dabbling in two new cards:

I travel quite a lot, and after tasting some luxury in Admirals Clubs with friends, decided that I could justify the annual fee on the Citi Executive. I'm also big on cooking at home, and happen to live about an hour away from where I work. I began looking for a card that would offer good returns on fuel, groceries, and other transportation costs.  Found the Blue Cash Preferred Amex, and I think I can get a good bit of cash back. I should be able to ofest the fee within the first 2 months. I live in a small town, and do most of my grocery shopping at a real grocery store. I was bummed {but not shocked} to see the 6% cash back wasn't good at big stores.

So, on the same day (no clue if it was 'smart' or not) applied for BOTH the Citi Executive and Amex BCP. I was immediately approved for the Amex and given a 15k$ SCL, but my Citi went to Pending with a ref number. I figured it was because it was a fraud prevention measure, and so I called the next day to see what the deal was. The lady on their recon line was really nice and just said that for some reason it didn't capture my SSN on the app. I gave it over and she put me on hold for about 3 seconds and came back and said I was approved for 16.5K!

So my question is this: I don't want to pay extra fees for nothing extra by having two Citi Advantage cards, but I also don't want to cause any major detriment to my score. Temporary dips don't really concern me, I am in the high 700's and don't plan on buying a house or a car tomorrow, but how long should I wait before closing my Platinum Select? Will Citi look ultra unfavorably on me for doing this? It's very rare when I don't pay my cards down to 0 each cycle.

I'll see how this goes. It's kind of fun. If things go well maybe I will try churning a couple to get more miles. I'm not sure I can justify a Platinum Amex yet, despite being prequalled for that and the Prestige. Sorry for the ramble, thanks for reading!

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: 2 Apps/Approvals: Citi Executive & Amex BCP

Cant help you with Citi dont do business with them but I will congratulate you on the two new cards and welcome to my fico Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 11
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Congrats on yer nice approvalsSmiley Happy

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

"The only thing to be aware of is if it's the same program there are some rules about chnages made that will exclude you from earning a bonus on the new account.  "

Okay that's what my thinking is as well. I might be stuck with the other card for 24 months it seems, but no big deal. The 50k mile bonus will kind of offset that, and it's not like the card is /hurting/ my situation. If aynthing it's bonus total available revolving credit. Thanks!

Message 4 of 11
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Congratulations on your approvals!
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats! I don't know much about the Citi card but you got a great limit. I love my BCP though Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 11
krmurrayjr10
Regular Contributor

Congratulations on the new cards!

I was in the very same boat earlier this year when I was approved for the Executive AA card. I already had the Platinum Select AA card, so I called Citi after the Executive card arrived, and they let me product change the Platinum Select to a no-annual fee Rewards+ card. The Rewards+ card kept the same account/card number, which with Citi is key to not interfering with collecting the signup bonus on the new card.

So, just call Citi and ask for product change options on the old card, and listen for the rep to say that the card number won't change during the conversion, and you should be good to go.

Message 7 of 11
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

Congrats !

and

Congrats !

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

"So, just call Citi and ask for product change options on the old card, and listen for the rep to say that the card number won't change during the conversion, and you should be good to go."

That's another good idea, thanks!

Message 9 of 11
Gotham-
Frequent Contributor

Congratulations on the approvals!!!

Yes the amenities of the Admiral’s club
Just like the swanky parties of Gotham!
Will give the brain a jolt to get cards...

It’s a great time to consider product changes if you find that some cards are redundant or not working for you anymore no harm in asking also ask for rate reductions sometimes they can do that too A good time to do it is when you’re in that Admiral’s Club 😆🤩 Chilaxing!!!

Congrats again!🎉🥳🎊
2018 Dec Starting Score: 700
Current Score: 778
Achieved Goal Score 2020: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.