Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 BOA Approvals and AMEX Blacklist question

tag
combatmedic2107
New Contributor

2 BOA Approvals and AMEX Blacklist question

I applied and received a 3k SL for a BOA travel card.  The next day I applied a received a 3k SL on BOA cash rewards card.  APR is 17 %.  Experian score was 683 at time I applied.  Still rebuilding from a job change back in 2013 that resulted in me defaulting on serveral cards.  

I had a Amex card that I still owe 1k on.  I am not interested in the Oasis.  If I pay the amount in full, will they let me apply again.  I cannot even be added currently to my wife's Cash magnet or Delta Sky Miles.

BOA Cash Rewards    3K

BOA Travel Rewards  3K

Sportsman Guide       4.2 K

First Tech CU              10k

Total Rewards             2.5k

Williams Sonoma       2k

Overstock                    14k

BP Gas Card                300

Care Credit                   4.5k

Car Credit                     1.5k

Amazon card                800

Walmart Card               2.5k

Express                         300

Regards

Experian Fico 8  683

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: 2 BOA Approvals and AMEX Blacklist question

congrats.

You certainly have alot better chance by paying amex off otherwise you will be on their blacklist for whom knows how long.  Nothing is the CC world is guranteed i woudnt expect paying them off then them to approve you right away, it might take some time before they will lend to you again no one can say how long maybe a few months or maybe a year.  If you don't pay them back and you didn't do a bk they still certainly can go after you due to not being past the SOL so for a trivial 1k i would just pay them back if I were you and who knows they might embrace you sooner than later

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@combatmedic2107 wrote:

I applied and received a 3k SL for a BOA travel card.  The next day I applied a received a 3k SL on BOA cash rewards card.  APR is 17 %.  Experian score was 683 at time I applied.  Still rebuilding from a job change back in 2013 that resulted in me defaulting on serveral cards.  

I had a Amex card that I still owe 1k on.  I am not interested in the Oasis.  If I pay the amount in full, will they let me apply again.  I cannot even be added currently to my wife's Cash magnet or Delta Sky Miles.

BOA Cash Rewards    3K

BOA Travel Rewards  3K

Sportsman Guide       4.2 K

First Tech CU              10k

Total Rewards             2.5k

Williams Sonoma       2k

Overstock                    14k

BP Gas Card                300

Care Credit                   4.5k

Car Credit                     1.5k

Amazon card                800

Walmart Card               2.5k

Express                         300

Regards

Experian Fico 8  683

My score was a 664 on my Experian.  It think it certainly worth a shot for you. Just pay it off and then apply. From all that I have read from others, and from my own experience, the absolute first step with AMEX is paying them back. They never seem to forget.  I've defaulted on accounts with Cap One, and Bank of America before, but they eventually let me back in even without payment. If your unpaid default on AMEX was from 6 years ago, that may seem like a long time, but there are many people who've been blacklisted much longer.  I had like 4 -5 cards with AMEX like 20 years ago, and I messed up on them/Charge Offs..etc, but paid them off back then. I figured I was pretty much blacklisted for life though, but just two weeks ago I got approved for an GOLD card, and a CASH MAGNET card, with a "WELCOME BACK" on the approval screen.  As long as you make good on the debt with them, there is always at least hope. They could take your payment and still make you wait more years though, so I guess you have to decide how important that $1000 is to you right now, and how important it is for you to have an Amex card.

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your approvals !!!!

Message 4 of 10
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

Why wouldnt you be interested in the Oasis card. It would mean you would be off their BL, something you wish would happen

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 5 of 10
combatmedic2107
New Contributor

If that is the only way to get back in , I will go with oasis.  I spoke to Amex earlier today and the gentlemen stated after I paid he saw no issue's with me becoming a member again as long as my credit score was eligible for another card.  I will pay them this week and wait a few weeks and then I will see if I can become a AU on my wifes card.  If I can then I will try to move forward.  Is there any suggestions on what card?  My wife has the Cash magnet and Delta Skymiles.

Message 6 of 10
19eighty5
Senior Contributor

Congratulations on your approvals!

FICO 8 (Feb 2018):EX- 519, TU- 530, EQ- 545
FICO 8 (Sept 2022):EX- 706, TU- 685, EQ- 684
What's in my wallet:

Message 7 of 10
sjt
Senior Contributor

If you pay them off, you will be off their blacklist. 

With the credit you have established and your score, you would be be approved. It might be a low limit but its better then an Oasis and you get back in with them.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on the approvals!

Message 9 of 10
BlueMystic
New Contributor

There are several AmEx blacklist threads, including this recent one with a lot of data points.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.