Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 Penfed Cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

2 Penfed Cards

I was a victim of identity theft back in 2011 when my wallet was stolen out of my car.   It's taken 5 years for this mess to be taken care of.  Perseverence prevailed yesterday as I applied for 2 Penfed cards and was instantly approved. PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature (16K-WOW) and PenFed Promise (5.5K another WOW).  Until yesterday, I had only been able to be approved for Capital One Quick Silver One (1.5K) and Barclays Arrival ($500 GAG ME - SOCK DRAWER).  I apped online, it went to review, Underwriting called to verify information, and was apprved. Highest limits I've ever had!  I'm In Texas, and thet pulled EQ with a score of 647.  Has anyone had experience with them?

***UPDATE***

I received my cards this week.  So far, they have been AMAZING!  Their customer service has been nothing short of impecable.  

On my Promise card, I took advantage of the balance transfer promotion they are offering which is 0 transfer fees and 4.99% for 12 months.  I transferred the 2K I have in balances (1500 on Cap1 QS and 500 on Barclays) that are both at 24% APR.  I set auto payments up on a bi-weekly schedule and will have those balances gone in 3 months.  

I decided to use the Platinum Rewards Signature Visa for my everyday spending and set up several of my monthly recurring bills for autopay with this card and will pay off monthly.  The rewards are great on this card for what my partner and I spend the most on: fuel (5x points, groceries 3x, and everything else 1x).  I see this relationship with PenFed being a long and prosperous one.  

I've looked through this board for the past 3 years while dealing with identity theft and along the way, I have learned so much about credit maintenance as well as the importance of a healthy financial profile.  Thank You, everyone who has replied, offered advice and answered my questions.  You are all Rock Stars. 

21 REPLIES 21
baller4life
Super Contributor

Re: 2 Penfed Cards

Absolutely. Lots of us have had great experiences with Penfed. They are one of the most popular CUs discussed in this forum. 3rd largest CU in the country. You made an excellent choice. Congratulations! And welcome to Myfico! Smiley Happy
Message 2 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I was a victim of identity theft back in 2011 when my wallet was stolen out of my car.   It's taken 5 years for this mess to be taken care of.  Perseverence prevailed yesterday as I applied for 2 Penfed cards and was instantly approved. PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature (16K-WOW) and PenFed Promise (5.5K another WOW).  Until yesterday, I had only been able to be approved for Capital One Quick Silver One (1.5K) and Barclays Arrival ($500 GAG ME - SOCK DRAWER).  I apped online, it went to review, Underwriting called to verify information, and was apprved. Highest limits I've ever had!  I'm In Texas, and thet pulled EQ with a score of 647.  Has anyone had experience with them?

Congratulations! Penfed is an outstanding credit union. I also have those two cards and have been very pleased with them.Welcome to the Penfed family!

Message 3 of 22
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Has anyone had experience with them?

Of ocurse.  Don't overlook existing discussions as a resource.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=penfed%20site%3Aficoforums.myfico.com

Message 4 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on those nice two approvals! Nice limits!

Message 5 of 22
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Amazing limits! Sorry for id problems, it really stinks when that happens but hey hopefully thats behind you and with penfed leading the way the future looks brightSmiley Happy
Message 6 of 22
Siopao
Regular Contributor

Congrats!  I hear nothing but great things about PenFed.  I hope to become a member before the end of the year.

Message 7 of 22
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

Congrats that's an amazing approvals ! So just for my own info, do you have any negative left on your reports at all ? Did they give you the Next Gen score yet ?
Message 8 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't think I received the NextGen score yet.  They pulled Equifax. Still had the range of credit scores from 150-950. I'm thinking that they still use the old model off of that.  As far as baddies, those are clear.  However, I have a ton of inquiries.  Like over 20. I also applied to have my car refinnaced with them, but they declined it. All is well though, my scores should jump significantly once these report.

Message 9 of 22
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Congrats on the approvals! Penfed is a good CU

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.