cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 new cards, lowered my util, and have 0%!!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

2 new cards, lowered my util, and have 0%!!!

Been looking at opening a Barclays w Apple rewards for a few years now (I buy a ton of apple stuff, aware of the deferred interest, not worried about that). Decided to finally apply the other night to take advantage of the financing on 2 iPads and eventually an iMac. After surfing the apple site for a few hours and making a plan of what I'm buying and how it's going to get paid off, I applied and got instant approval for $3500. 

Didnt stop there, I've been carrying about 3000 balance (total) on the rest of my cards, so I decided to apply for a balance transfer card from Citi. Originally I got declined for Citi Diamond Preferred, but after calling recon line, it turned out that I put my monthly rent as 4200 instead of 400. Got approved after they fixed it for 1800. Asked for a cli, but they told me to call once I got the card. 

Overall, I took a hit on inq, and AAoA, but util is doing to be well below 30% and I have 21 months to pay off that balance that I've been carrying and 18 months on my apple purchases. I also will be getting 1% for paying Citi DC with the balance transfer.  Also got cli on simplicity card, I'll post new limits below (a few others had cli)

pretty excited about this, hoping I did it right. 

New limits

Barclay Apple Rewards: $3500

Citi Diamond Pref: $1800

Citi DC: $1950

Citi Simplicity: $3700

Citi TYP: 3200

BestBuy: $1500

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: 2 new cards, lowered my util, and have 0%!!!

Very nicely done, looks like you enjoy the Citi lifeSmiley Wink
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

+1. Indeed. Smiley Happy Congratulations!

Message 3 of 8
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Been looking at opening a Barclays w Apple rewards for a few years now (I buy a ton of apple stuff, aware of the deferred interest, not worried about that). Decided to finally apply the other night to take advantage of the financing on 2 iPads and eventually an iMac. After surfing the apple site for a few hours and making a plan of what I'm buying and how it's going to get paid off, I applied and got instant approval for $3500. 

Didnt stop there, I've been carrying about 3000 balance (total) on the rest of my cards, so I decided to apply for a balance transfer card from Citi. Originally I got declined for Citi Diamond Preferred, but after calling recon line, it turned out that I put my monthly rent as 4200 instead of 400. Got approved after they fixed it for 1800. Asked for a cli, but they told me to call once I got the card. 

Overall, I took a hit on inq, and AAoA, but util is doing to be well below 30% and I have 21 months to pay off that balance that I've been carrying and 18 months on my apple purchases. I also will be getting 1% for paying Citi DC with the balance transfer.  Also got cli on simplicity card, I'll post new limits below (a few others had cli)

New limits

You can recon that starting limit on the Barclay's card. Back when I had it, I was approved for $1,900. Was able to immediately recon to $3,600. 

You our should call them and ask for $10,000. Tell them you want to buy a Mac Pro and don't want to kill your utilization. They're a very nervous lender, so don't max out the card with a deferred interest promotion. I got CLD'd by them twice for paying off balances too quickly.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

Yep ,oat of my family works for Citi, been a customer of theirs since my first acct, and the fact that they are global has come in handy a few times. Had a chase car loan and boa car loan, but everything else is Citi for the most part. 

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DeeBee78 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

New limits

You can recon that starting limit on the Barclay's card. Back when I had it, I was approved for $1,900. Was able to immediately recon to $3,600. 

You our should call them and ask for $10,000. Tell them you want to buy a Mac Pro and don't want to kill your utilization. They're a very nervous lender, so don't max out the card with a deferred interest promotion. I got CLD'd by them twice for paying off balances too quickly.

Sweet. Will do, hoping to get the card tomorrow (most likely won't happen) for a promo I got. I'll make sure to take advantage of the exact time they give me. For cards like this one and bestbuy where I have a set time, I just put the money into a separate account and setup auto pay so it's paid on time and I take advantage of the time I have. 

Message 6 of 8
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@DeeBee78 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

New limits

Sweet. Will do, hoping to get the card tomorrow (most likely won't happen) for a promo I got. I'll make sure to take advantage of the exact time they give me. For cards like this one and bestbuy where I have a set time, I just put the money into a separate account and setup auto pay so it's paid on time and I take advantage of the time I have. 

And another FYI, they will give you the promo rate pretty much any time you call and ask for it. You then have 30 days to shop after they reactivate the promo. 

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DeeBee78 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@DeeBee78 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

New limits

And another FYI, they will give you the promo rate pretty much any time you call and ask for it. You then have 30 days to shop after they reactivate the promo. 

nice, thanks for the heads up!

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.