Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2nd NFCU Flagship credit card approved

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

2nd NFCU Flagship credit card approved

Wanted to give a little back ground on this one first.  I started my rebuild process 5 years ago with NFCU by opening one of their secure credit cards with them.  I had been a member for probably 5 years prior but had never used them before but I knew I had to do something to try and start rebuilding my credit, I am not sure what my scores where but if I had to guess I would say maybe high 500's.  After opening the secure card with them I slowly started moving most of my banking to them as well to try and build a relationship with them.  I started the account with $500 for the secure card but increased it several times until it was up to $2500.  It made it much easier to use the card often and then pay it off every week or so.

After two years of using the secure card it graudated to a unsucred card and I was able to do a PC over to the Flagship card 3 years ago.  My starting limit with them was $5K which was the bottom of what Flagship offered.  Every 6 months I would request a CLI and most times they would give me a $1500 bump in my limit, although the last time I believe it was about $4500.  I was able to grow the card up to $16500, which when I think about where I started 5 years ago I never thought I would have a card with that high of a limit.  However, finding this forum about a year ago has really helped me understand and learn a lot.  It has helped me understand how to build my credit score higher and also get higher limits on my cards.  I really felt that every time that I asked for a CLI on the card they would look at where my scores were when I opened the account and not where I was today.

I have also had 3 secure loans through NFCU during this time, which two of them are paid off and the 3rd one is still open but I am 24 payments ahead on it right now.  

I had seen where the Flagship card was offering a 50,000 point bonus for spending 4K in the first 90 days, I happen to have a purchase that is coming up next month that is right at $4K so I thought I would call NFCU and ask if I could open up a second Flagship account.  I have read where a lot of people get higher limits on their second cards then they do their first with NFCU so I was hoping this would be the case.  When I called I was told that I could have 3 accounts with them and all could be the Flagship card if I wanted.  After talking with them I went ahead and let her take the application over the phone.  When we had completed the application instead of getting the instant approval it went to review, which I didn't expect but it is what it is.  She told me because of the holiday it might be Wednesday before a decission was made but that I could check back with them.

10 minutes after hanging up I recieved a text message saying that my application was being review.  15 minutes later I recieved another text message saying I had been approved but it didn't give me any other information.  So I called back in and just told them that I had recieved the text saying I was approved and wanted to know what the CL would be on the new account.  She told me let me check and within a few seconds told me that the new card had a limit of $25K.  I will say that I am very happy with the limit on the second card and the love that NFCU has shown me!

Current Scores are

EQ FICO 8 769 2 Inquiry last 12 months

TU FICO 8 758 1 Inquiry last 12 months

EX FICO 8 777  3 Inquiry last 12 months

They did do a hard pull on TU.  My total utilization is at 3% with a total credit limit of $128K prior to this card.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
xaximus
Valued Contributor

Re: 2nd NFCU Flagship credit card approved

Congrats on the approval and that's an awesome SL to begin with! Thanks for sharing your journey!

Scores - All bureaus 770 +
TCL - Est. $410K
Message 2 of 4
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

beautiful.gif

Message 3 of 4
19eighty5
Senior Contributor

Awesome story and congratulations on your new card!

FICO 8 (Feb 2018):EX- 519, TU- 530, EQ- 545
FICO 8 (Sept 2022):EX- 706, TU- 685, EQ- 684
What's in my wallet:

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.