Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2nd app's a charm! Citi secured MC approved! 💳

tag
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

2nd app's a charm! Citi secured MC approved! 💳

Ok, some of you may remember my post in CC a month ago about trying for a Citi secured cc, and after 3 weeks of back and forth phone calls and emails, and corrected reports etccc....they declined me because my disputes updated incorrectly on my reports, and a few of my old Citi accts that were IIB said 5/2016, instead of 2013. So the UW declined it instead of looking at my PR and putting 2&2 together. If you want to read my thread it's in CCs. 

Anyway... I decided that after that whole fiasco I was just gonna throw out a brand new app with the correct updated reports, and a new set of eyes, and this time.... Approved! Here's the data for anyone interested. 

Pulled EX-681, several new accts and tons on INQ this year alone.

currently have on Citi retail side- HD $12k, Brooks Brothers MC $4k, Sears MC $4k

6/20- applied

6/22- funds were pulled

6/27- status finally changed to approved online

Now, I'd like to go ahead and tackle the question that some of you want to ask, "why would apply for a secured card with all your unsecured credit you have and your great rebuild"??? "That seems like a step backwards to me".....

Here's my answer to that and hopefully you'll have a better understanding. Have you had credit problems? Have you ever had to rebuild your credit? Ever had a lender keep denying you a cc that you really wanted, or ever wanted in with a lender but couldn't ever get in???  

If you've never experienced that then you won't understand, and you can just shake your head and move on. But For some of us, we have burned lenders in the past in some way and some of us in our BK, me being one of those! Citi is tough, and they are good with Bk folks on the retail side but NOT the legacy side. They have a pretty strict 7yr post bk rule, for their legacy cards( of course a select few have been an exception to that), and if you burned them in a BK7 then it's a total crap shoot if you get in or not!

the Citi secured MC is one of their legacy cards, and on their main website. It unsecures after 18months, and automatically upgrades to their Diamond Preferred card( a legacy card). 

When this card graduates, I'll be in with Citi on their legacy side at 4 1/2 yrs post BK7 vs. 7yrs +!! Too me, that's worth it! So, yea, I don't need the secured card with $278k in unsecured credit, but sometimes we have to go about things a little differently. After this card graduates, my chances of another legacy card, at that point are pretty good. So, I hope some of you can see why I did this and my logic behind it. Not everyone is approved for even the secured card with them so I'm excited. 

If if you want something bad enough, you have to be willing to accept defeat sometimes, but then go back after it a different way! Don't give up if it's something you really want! I wanted in on legacy side bad since I burned them, and they declined me several times for some of their cards (they still decline me for Best Buy on their retail side to this day!) but I didn't give up. I just went about it differently. 

image.jpgI

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
ddemari
Super Contributor

Re: 2nd app's a charm! Citi secured MC approved! 💳

im glad you finally got it! you definitely put in some work to show citi you want back in their graces on that legacy side. im happy it finally all went through! i had to do the same with discover, even though I never burned them. Secured card was my only way in with them. Again, congrats and glad all your efforts paid off! 

Message 2 of 24
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

LOL 🤑
Message 3 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats Pizza! We ALL have our OWN different goals and you achieved one of them! Smiley Happy
Message 4 of 24
ddemari
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Congrats Pizza! We ALL have our OWN different goals and you achieved one of them! Smiley Happy

Exactly! all that is important is you are happy with your acheivement! and citi is a hard nut to crack for a lot of us. 

Message 5 of 24
Pway
Valued Contributor

Congrats Pizza, I'm thinking of doing the same with Discover. 

Thank you for the wealth of knowledge I have learned from these forums. I am logging off as of November 9, 2022. I wish everyone great success.
Message 6 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats Pizza!!

Message 7 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats! FYI, when it unsecured to the DP you can call the EO and ask for a CLI to at least 500 and have them convert it to the Double Cash (500 is DC minimum). That's what I did
Message 8 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations, pizza Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well done! I completely get it!

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.