Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$5k Pre Approved at Sam's Club in store checkout

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

$5k Pre Approved at Sam's Club in store checkout

I was checking out at Sam's club about 3 months ago and the cashier said "You've been approved for a Sam's Club Mastercard, do you want to accept it and apply the promo $45 on today's purchase?"...  By instinct I started to say "No, thank you", but I just curiously asked "are there any details, like the credit limit?".... and she says "$5,000".  It seemed unusual, so I asked to look at the piece of paper she was looking at (printed by the receipt printer) and after looking at it for  a bit, I accepted.  Here's the really interesting part, 3 months later I can now confirm for sure that Synchrony only did a Soft Pull, never ever a HP.  I wasn't specifically seeking that card, but it's a very good gas card.

Here's some data points in case anyone else is interested.  Scores are all around 710-720. utilization at that time was 7% and I had only 1 Hard inquiry in the past 2 years.  They had the $5,000 SL on the offer before getting my SS# and I'm not sure they ever even asked my income ($145,000 household), but here's some factors that I believe influenced this, maybe I'm wrong... I have had a Sam's membership for 15+ years and for the past few years I spend an average of about $1,000 per month there on groceries, business supplies, gigantic containers of cheese balls, etc.  Maybe most importantly (maybe purely coincidence), a Costco just opened up 15 minutes away 7 months before this happened.  

Sorry, long post I know, but this is MY FIRST POST on myFico and I wanted to say hello and Thank You to the community.  I browse on here a LOT and it has always been super helpful, but I never joined until a few days ago.  This community is the most influencial forum on the internet for credit, personal finance, etc. and I think maybe you don't even realize how much and how many people you help.  At the time of me posting this, the bottom of the "community" page shows the following....

Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 1,722 guests

That means that for every 1 person who's on here posting as a "registered member", there are 400+ on here finding answers to their questions.  Thanks again.
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Re: $5k Pre Approved at Sam's Club in store checkout

Congratulations on your SP approval! I think it was the gigantic containers of cheese balls that got you the pre-approval. Smiley Wink

Message 2 of 21
thornback
Senior Contributor

@AllZero wrote:

Congratulations on your SP approval! I think it was the gigantic containers of cheese balls that got you the pre-approval. Smiley Wink

Oh.. It was most definitely the Cheese Balls... 

Congratulations @Anonymous !  Thanks for sharing and welcome to the forums!  Hope to see more of you... 

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 3 of 21
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Congratulations on your approval! ...

Message 4 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

... this is MY FIRST POST on myFico ...

Very cool story and nice approval -- Congrats! Smiley Wink & thanks for the DPs. Smiley Happy Welcome. 

Message 5 of 21
CreditAggie
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Congratulations on your Sam's Club Mastercard approval!

Current Cards (in order of approval):

Current FICO 8 | 9 (February 2024):  
Credit Age:  
Inquiries (6/12/24):  
Banks & CUs:

Message 6 of 21
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Pretty good approval, congrats on getting it.
Message 7 of 21
Cred4All
Valued Contributor

Congrats on the approval, even more so with a SP.  I will say, if I was standing behind you in line and heard a credit card offer being discussed, I'd be thinking "Oh great I'll be here all day."  Then, when my turn would come, I'd say "So where is my pre-approval?" Smiley LOL

Message 8 of 21
Gotham-
Frequent Contributor

That’s amazing congratulations 🎈🎊🎉 on the approval 🦇🦇🦇🥊💥🥊💥🥊💥✅✅✅
2018 Dec Starting Score: 700
Current Score: 778
Achieved Goal Score 2020: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 9 of 21
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

5k🤑👍

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.