Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A couple of "spur of the moment" approvals

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

A couple of "spur of the moment" approvals

It'd been over 4 months since I last applied for a card, and I started feeling a bit antsy tonight, so I decided to apply for two cards I've had my eyes on recently. I'd also just become 1/6 recently, so figured that might help with some apps.

First applied for the U.S. Bank Cash Plus Visa Signature Card and got instantly approved for $5k with an 18.99% APR! This was extremely unexpected as I know how sensitive they are to recent account openings. I've also seen some really low SL approvals (as low as $500) from people with much stronger files than myself, so this was especially surprising! I did open a checking account with them about 3 weeks ago, and just had my first paycheck deposit to the account yesterday. I'm assuming that's what tipped them this way Smiley Happy

I then applied for the Capital One Walmart Rewards Mastercard as I've really been liking their grocery pick-up service, and spend quite a bit on it every month, so figured it'd be a good idea to get a 5% card for it. Once again, instantly approved for $2K with a 26.99% APR (which is the max, but I don't really care too much about that since I always PIF anyway)! Unfortunately, it was a triple pull, but what can you do about that...

Really stoked that I actually ended up getting approved for both instantly with quite a thin/young file. Some DPs for those interested:
FICO8 TU/EQ/EX - 748/?/741
INQ TU/EQ/EX - 1/4/5
AoOA/AAoA/AoYA - 1y2m/9m/4m
5/24, 3/12, 1/6
Income: 90K
No baddies
Cards accurate in my signature

I did have a few questions I was wondering if anyone could help me with:
1. When I was approved for the U.S. Bank Cash Plus card, it said "Note that your application may be subject to further review." Does this mean there's a chance they can change their decision? I'm a bit concerned by that because I ended up applying for the Walmart Card right after that, and I'm afraid they might get spooked by that if they find out.

2. The U.S. Bank card hasn't shown up on my U.S. Bank account yet. Does that normally show up instantly? If not, how long does it usually take to appear? And does it show up on the same account you use for your Checking account?

3. Does the Capital One rule for 1 card per 6 months apply to the Walmart Card? I wanted to apply for a Savor card later this year.

4. Does the Capital One rule for 2 cards per person count the Walmart Card? I had my eyes on the Venture and Savor cards for the future, and was wondering if it was possible to get all 3 of those eventually.

Thank you for reading and helping me with priceless information on this forum! Hope you're all staying safe Smiley Happy

16 REPLIES 16
Mv350
Valued Contributor

Re: A couple of "spur of the moment" approvals

Congrats on your approval!

I am not sure about about the US Bank question because I don't have any US Bank cards.

The Capital one questions,

I am pretty sure that the Walmart card counts. I was approved for the WM MC about 6 months ago, and have not been allowed to fully apply for a new card until it has been 180 days. It just cancels that application if it hasn't been long enough. You are allowed more than 2 Cap1 cards. I am pretty sure it's no more than 2 subprime cards, and 5 cards total. But I could be wrong. 

Message 2 of 17
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Congratulations on your approvals!

Message 3 of 17
newfossil
Valued Contributor

Congratulations 

Starting score - May 2018

April 2021

AAoA - 1 year 6 months
Message 4 of 17
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Congrats!

Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great job, SS -- Congrats! on your two approvals. Smiley Happy

Btw, I have 3 Cap1 CCs plus the Walmart card -- I'll keep the Walmart for the 5% but gladly trade the others for one solid card, with growth potential, elsewhere. But, WALDT. Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations!

Message 7 of 17
19eighty5
Senior Contributor

Congratulations!

FICO 8 (Feb 2018):EX- 519, TU- 530, EQ- 545
FICO 8 (Sept 2022):EX- 706, TU- 685, EQ- 684
What's in my wallet:

Message 8 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations on your approvals! 👍

Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I did have a few questions I was wondering if anyone could help me with:
1. When I was approved for the U.S. Bank Cash Plus card, it said "Note that your application may be subject to further review." Does this mean there's a chance they can change their decision? I'm a bit concerned by that because I ended up applying for the Walmart Card right after that, and I'm afraid they might get spooked by that if they find out.

2. The U.S. Bank card hasn't shown up on my U.S. Bank account yet. Does that normally show up instantly? If not, how long does it usually take to appear? And does it show up on the same account you use for your Checking account?

3. Does the Capital One rule for 1 card per 6 months apply to the Walmart Card? I wanted to apply for a Savor card later this year.

4. Does the Capital One rule for 2 cards per person count the Walmart Card? I had my eyes on the Venture and Savor cards for the future, and was wondering if it was possible to get all 3 of those eventually.

Thank you for reading and helping me with priceless information on this forum! Hope you're all staying safe Smiley Happy

IIRC, it took a couple of days for any new account to show up when I log in.  You will see all of your accounts listed under the same screen with the ability to click on each to get more details.  It shouldn't be much longer to wait.

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.