Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A little love from Discover

tag
koalablue
Frequent Contributor

A little love from Discover

I was recently sent a new Discover card to replace the one I got in Nov. 2011.  I thought it was strange for them to send a new card a year and a half later.  The paper that came with the new card said that I would have 0% interest on any new purchases until March 2014. 

When I called to activate the card, the rep I spoke with said they sent it to me because I hadn't used my card in a while, and she asked if there was anything they could do to win back my business.  I said - increase my credit limit.  [It had been stuck at 1700 the whole time, and I have other cards with much higher limits, the highest being 23,500.]  I had tried for a credit increase on-line, and always got the "We can't process this" message.

At any rate, she said she'd be happy to help me with that, and I said I not to do it if its a hard pull.  She said their CLI checks were always a soft pull, and she asked me what credit limit I wanted.  I was worried about getting shot down, so I just said 4,000.  She asked a few income and rent questions, then approved me for the 4,000.  I was happy for the CLI but peeved at myself for not asking for more. I didn't need more, it just would have been nice. Oh well, 4,000 isn't bad.  I still am not planning on using the card at least for a while, as I have some minimum spends to meet on a couple other cards to get bonus miles/points on them.  But its nice to have a higher limit on the Discover card.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: A little love from Discover

Grats! To bad you didn't ask them for more.

Message 2 of 6
Cadillac-XTS
Established Contributor

How long  did you go without using the card? Oh and by the way Congrats on your cli.

Message 3 of 6
koalablue
Frequent Contributor

Thanks!  It had been a few months - 3 or 4 months or so.

Message 4 of 6
Cadillac-XTS
Established Contributor

Oh ok. Thanks

Message 5 of 6
Epcot
Valued Contributor

Impressive, Congrats on the increase!

Starting Score: EQ 717 EX 724 TU 736
Current Score: EQ 849 EX 835 TU 841
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.