cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX 3X Credit Limit Increase (CLI) <30 days - Approval!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX 3X Credit Limit Increase (CLI) <30 days - Approval!!

The Application:

American Express

Simple process - completed online on the AMEX site. (details below)

The Pull:

No pull. It never showed on any of the 3 bureaus. This confirms everyone's suspicion that AMEX conducts SPs for CLIs. No harm, no foul! 

The Score:

FICO Score 8

EQ, TU, EX: 710-745

Utilization is under 35%

Total accounts is 15+

Hard Inquires is 5-9 across all bureaus

The Approval:

This CLI was for my Starwood Preferred Guest card. In my previous post I described how I applied and was approved for that card in addition to my AMEX EDP card on the same day. For my SPG I was given an SL of 8k. The statement for that card closed 19 days after approval. After the first statement closed, I noticed the link to "Request for a Credit Line Increase" appear on my account summary page. A simple click took me to their straight foward application. It basically confirmed my identity and annual income information. (note: on every financial profile update I have done over the phone whenever I spoke to a representative for various reasons, I made sure to keep my income consistent. Not that my income has changed, but I made sure to keep it consistent. I kept that same consistency through my initial application for the SPG as well as this 3X CLI request.)

I then filled out my request for increase. Since my SL for the SPG wsa 8K, I entered a request to increase to 24K (3X my SL). I was instantly approved and it showed up on my account summary page in 15 mins! 

Timeline: From approval to 3X CLI approval - a total of 27 days!

Hope this helps! Off to the next sign up bonus! 

- PointsYoda

30 REPLIES 30
shoegal
Valued Contributor

Re: AMEX 3X Credit Limit Increase (CLI) <30 days - Approval!!

Thanks for posting this! Did you have a balance on the Amex account that got the CLI?

Message 2 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@shoegal wrote:

Thanks for posting this! Did you have a balance on the Amex account that got the CLI?

I do. At the time of the CLI, my SPG had about 2,500 as a balance. The minimum spend for the sign up bonus is 3k. So I'm still working to hit that to get the points.

-PointsYoda

Message 3 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats! You're tempting me to try for a CLI on my BCE which is only 32 days old today.

Message 4 of 31
shoegal
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Congrats! You're tempting me to try for a CLI on my BCE which is only 32 days old today.

Same here. mine is 36 days old.

Message 5 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

There's always that feeling of not wanting to be denied. I've been an AMEX customer since 2006, so that may have helped. Also, from my experience, they only did an SP (soft pull). That was one of the main reasons why I took the risk. Good luck either way!

-PointsYoda

Message 6 of 31
Total80sKid
Senior Contributor

Congrats on the 3x increase, OP!

Yea, I tried for an CLI about 3 weeks after I got my BCE and was instantly denied.

Called CS and they told me I had to wait at least 60 days, but also assured me I wasn't 'denied', that it was just too early per their requirements for new members.
Message 7 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Total80sKid wrote:
Congrats on the 3x increase, OP!

Yea, I tried for an CLI about 3 weeks after I got my BCE and was instantly denied.

Called CS and they told me I had to wait at least 60 days, but also assured me I wasn't 'denied', that it was just too early per their requirements for new members.

Thanks! Yeah, I'm feeling a bit cautious since I've gone on a spree the past 45 days. It may be a good time for me to cool off for a month or two. 

-PointsYoda 

Message 8 of 31
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

I'm jealous!  I only got a 1.28x last month with 10x the spend.  Next time...

Congrats and enjoy the added spending power!

Message 9 of 31
sdsoccerdad
Established Contributor

Congrats!  This is the one of the cards I will target next.

Personal Cards:

Business Cards:

Started my journey in the high 500's 10/1/2016
Current Fico: EQ:740 | TU:757 | EX:775
Message 10 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.