Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX BCE Approval

tag
Total80sKid
Senior Contributor

AMEX BCE Approval

Well, I was bad.

I was barely in the garden, but really wanted to find a good daily driver I could use in place of my debit card and PIF each month as I pay down my other card balances.

I recently had a big jump on my EX CR from 637-677 and my last baddie came off.

I saw that EX is usually pulled for AMEX and with a guy instinct not to apply as I feared a denial, I hit submit on the application and I was approved!

I know that with other card debt I shouldn't have applied for another card, but I decided with my current score that if approved, I'd use it in place of my debit card for food and bills and PIF monthly. If denied I was going to wait to get my balances all under 29%.

Are there any tips as to maximizing my card? Should I PIF once a month as planned since I get paid once a month or pay every two weeks?

I'm assuming with balances on all my other cards I should make sure this card reports a $0 balance?

Sorry, just excited and want to do this right.

Here are my data points:

EX: 677
AAoA: 5.5yrs
Inquiries: 3
UTI: 40%

Approved for: $1000 (shocked it wasn't $500 with Credit Steps).
12 Month 0% APR
APR: 24.99% (Yikes but will not carry a balance so no worries).

If I missed anything, please let me know.

*Does happy dance*
Smiley Very Happy
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX BCE Approval

Amex doesn't like for you to carry a balance. I've seen posts where people were denied for CLI just for that reason. 

Message 2 of 22
Davis9508
Contributor

Yay!!  Congrats to you! I'm no help because I got the credit steps so my rules aren't the same as yours Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 22
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

My sister's been carrying a balance on her card the last couple of months and received her 3x CLI about a week ago. She's making very large payments every month though.

Congrats on your approval!!

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 4 of 22
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Super grats buddySmiley Happy Regardless if this was too early to get, this is a great pickup/ accomplishmentSmiley Happy. Make this your daily driver. Try to pay as go if possible but if not just pay your bill before its due. Keep paying down your other cards. Ive been getting in the habit to make payments as soon as i can to maintain a good credit habit but do what is best for you.

Enjoy it, mark your calendar for 62 days to try a 3x cli. If you dont get it at first just keep working at it , itll happenSmiley Happy.
Message 5 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@medicgrrl wrote:
My sister's been carrying a balance on her card the last couple of months and received her 3x CLI about a week ago. She's making very large payments every month though.

Congrats on your approval!!

I'll elaborate. Amex will deny CLI based on "balances relative to payments" or something like that. So if you're carrying balances but not paying much off, it can cost you the CLI. Since we don't know the exact number its best to pay as much of the balance as possible off every month. Especially if you have a high limit already and want that HUGE 3x CLI.

Message 6 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your Amex approval!!
Message 7 of 22
Gidgetmom
Frequent Contributor

Congratulations on your Amex approval! Now...back to the garden. Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats!
Message 9 of 22
Subexistence
Established Contributor

@Total80sKid wrote:
Well, I was bad.

I was barely in the garden, but really wanted to find a good daily driver I could use in place of my debit card and PIF each month as I pay down my other card balances.

I recently had a big jump on my EX CR from 637-677 and my last baddie came off.

I saw that EX is usually pulled for AMEX and with a guy instinct not to apply as I feared a denial, I hit submit on the application and I was approved!

I know that with other card debt I shouldn't have applied for another card, but I decided with my current score that if approved, I'd use it in place of my debit card for food and bills and PIF monthly. If denied I was going to wait to get my balances all under 29%.

Are there any tips as to maximizing my card? Should I PIF once a month as planned since I get paid once a month or pay every two weeks?

I'm assuming with balances on all my other cards I should make sure this card reports a $0 balance?

Sorry, just excited and want to do this right.

Here are my data points:

EX: 677
AAoA: 5.5yrs
Inquiries: 3
UTI: 40%

Approved for: $1000 (shocked it wasn't $500 with Credit Steps).
12 Month 0% APR
APR: 24.99% (Yikes but will not carry a balance so no worries).

If I missed anything, please let me know.

*Does happy dance*
Smiley Very Happy

Congratz keep up the good work and Move on to Discover. Once you make your account you can see all the benefits you are entitled to.

Starting Score: Ex08-732,Eq08-713,Tu08-717
Current Score:Ex08-795,Eq08-807,Tu08-787,EX98-761,Eq04-742
Goal Score: Ex98-760,Eq04-760

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

History of my credit
Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.