Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX CLI Request...Should I?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX CLI Request...Should I?

Hi All, 

I'm looking for advice on whether or not I should request a CLI on my AMEX card.  I applied for the Gold Delta SkyMiles card last December while booking a flight and was instantly approved with an initial CL of $12,500.  I was a bit surprised as this was more than double the CL of the next highest card in my wallet at that time ($6,000 on my Amazon Prime Visa from Chase).  Anyway, I was considering asking for an increase and wondered what my chances are.  My bill has been paid in full every month since signing up, my total utilization is about 3% across the board, and my Experian FICO score is currently 769.  I also applied for and was approved for the Gold Card back in May (with just a soft pull, too, as I was pre-approved).  Let me know what you all think.   Thanks!!

G

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: AMEX CLI Request...Should I?

Welcome to the forums, @Anonymous!

Assuming your income is good, it sounds like you'll get an increase if you request one. The question is how much are you looking to get. The maximum is 3X the current CL and there is always a possibility of income verifcation being asked if you ask for too much. If you haven't read it yet the AMEX 3X CLI could help answer any questions you have.

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/The-Definitive-Amex-3X-CLI-Guide/td-p/1811071

I would shoot for as high as you're comfortable with. Let them counter you if possible.

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

3x the 12.5K I already have seems a bit absurd as my total credit limit has started to exceed my annual income, and I didn't want to trigger a financial review, so I went conservative and only asked for a 5K increase.  It came back approved instantly (literally).  Maybe next time I'll ask for a bit more.  Thanks!

G

Message 3 of 10
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Congrats on the increase!

Message 4 of 10
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

so I went conservative and only asked for a 5K increase.  It came back approved instantly (literally).  Maybe next time I'll ask for a bit more.  Thanks!

Welcome To myFICO Forums and

Message 5 of 10
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Congrats, requesting a 3x does not trigger a FR, fyi Smiley Wink
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I seem to recall reading somewhere that hitting $25K on a single card or $34.5K overall in available credit with AMEX would trigger a financial review, or that they would at least require some sort of income verification.  

Message 7 of 10
Cred4All
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I seem to recall reading somewhere that hitting $25K on a single card or $34.5K overall in available credit with AMEX would trigger a financial review, or that they would at least require some sort of income verification.  

Op congrats on the increase!  Many data points suggest that on average, that is a good baseline for where income verification would trigger yes.  There are those (likely based on profile and spend history) that exceed that, so it's also a YMMV situation.

Message 8 of 10
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

FR , Financial Review and Income Verification are completely different.
Message 9 of 10
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

3x the 12.5K I already have seems a bit absurd as my total credit limit has started to exceed my annual income, and I didn't want to trigger a financial review, so I went conservative and only asked for a 5K increase.  It came back approved instantly (literally).  Maybe next time I'll ask for a bit more.  Thanks!

G

First off, congrats on your CLI

Im a little bit of a coward myself so I know what you might have been feeling

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.