Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Cash Magnet - Special Offer For You (?) -- Approved

tag
LooksAreDeceiving
Contributor

AMEX Cash Magnet - Special Offer For You (?) -- Approved

Ok, so I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on another CC app, and have decided on the Cash Magnet (please, no heckles...I have my reasons).  Anyway, when I go to the card, I get the "Special Offer For You" verbiage, stating that I'll get $175 if I meet the SUB ($1,000 spend in 3 months).  Typically, that's normally $150, right?  So, yeah, great!

Then I open up an incognito window, and go to the same page (I only did this because I read about it here...and not even sure why it matters).  Then, I read another "Special Offer" meant for my incognito self, and, lo and behold...the anonymous me is getting offered a $200 SUB!

So now, I have a few questions:

Why did AMEX give a better offer when they knew nothing about me (no cookies, etc.)?

Does this mean that they consider my profile weak? 

(I did a preapproval a few days ago, but not sure they're getting the info yet off my reports, since my opt out status just recently fell off.)

Should I feel bad about this?

And, most importantly:

Should I apply incognito for the higher SUB?

(I think I know the answer here, but I'm still a newbie and would love confirmation.)

Any insight is appreciated, thanks!

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: AMEX - Special Offer For You (?)

The incognito SUBs are really a roll of the dice as far as which one you are able to populate. It's why people try multiple times to load the offer screen in hopes of nabbing the best signup bonus since SUBs with AMEX are once-in-a-lifetime (excluding non-lifetime language offers)

It has nothing to do with your profile, don't feel bad about it, and definitely go for the best one

Message 2 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX is all about user acquisition. They don’t have fancy bank accounts like Chase and Citi to make money. They need as many people as possible to swipe their cards. So, they try to target new customers with larger sign up bonuses. IE, a new person stumbling onto their website with no cookies from AMEX.

And nothing wrong with applying in incognito. Even if you go through the incognito application as a current member, you will still be entitled to the increase SUB. I did that when I added my Delta after my Gold card.

And don’t feel bad about it. It’s well documented and well reported about the AMEX website for this.

EDIT: I will add, some browsers are better than others for the incognito offers. Chrome and Firefox tend to still show the default values time to time. Whereas Safari will give me the max values every time.
Message 3 of 26
LooksAreDeceiving
Contributor

Thanks for the quick and informative responses.

As advised, I went ahead and applied "incognito," and was approved!

Message 4 of 26
LooksAreDeceiving
Contributor

AMEX Cash Magnet - Approved!

Hello all!

I'm still new to rebuilding process, and thought I'd share my recent results.

I got my WF Propel in March, then got approved for Disco 6 months later.  I had been planning for the Cash Magnet to be my 3rd card for awhile now, but didn't want to appear too "credit seeking," so I waited until tonight.

Anyway, I got approved for 10k!

Very pleased with the results, since it's quite out-of-line with my other limits (and I was hoping for only half that amount).

Current scores: EX 713, EQ 772, TU 725

Next goal is the Freedom, but I'll be gardening for a few months before that.

Message 5 of 26
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Re: AMEX Cash Magnet - Approved!

Congratulations on your approval!
Message 6 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your approval!!

Message 7 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats! Very good SL from AMEX. Should be able to grow it from there as well.
Message 8 of 26
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@LooksAreDeceiving,

Your 2 threads have been merged based on the topic's relevance and the approval outome.  Feel free to edit the title if you wish.

Message 9 of 26
LooksAreDeceiving
Contributor

@AllZero wrote:
Congratulations on your approval!

Thank you!

Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.