cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Delta Skymiles PC to AMEX BCE: Success!!! -EDIT- Also got approved for Amazon Store Card

tag
Mannymal
New Contributor

AMEX Delta Skymiles PC to AMEX BCE: Success!!! -EDIT- Also got approved for Amazon Store Card

I'm very happy. I have been fixing my credit meticulously for a little over a month. Did some disputes, CLIs, and paid off a lot of balance. 

Well, before these positive results of these actions have had a chance to reflect on my credit report, I managed to work myself into a Blue Cash Everyday by getting approved for a Delta Skymiles, which is a very easy card to get (got mine with an EX FAKO of 603) and then calling the same day I received and activated the card and asking nicely if it could be converted to the BCE. The lady on the phone was extremely nice and just a minute or two later she had it converted without any problems. 

My credit limit is $1,000 which is low but perfectly fine as I only intend to use it for everyday purchases, and I'll apply for the 61 day CLI when its due. APR is 19% after the first year, I'll also work on getting that down even though I plan to PIF. 

These forums have been invaluable in my quest for 750+ credit, and even though the BCE was my main goal, I will continue coming here and doing what I can to improve my credit.

Any tips on what other cards I should go for? Discover It, Chase Chase Freedom, and then the garden?

AMEX BCE: $3000, CHASE Freedom: $4000, Discover IT: $2,500, Barclay Apple: $1700, Barclay Arrival: $3,000, GE Amazon Store: $6000, Amazon CHASE Visa: $500, American Airlines Federal Credit Union: $6000, Macy's: $600. GARDENING 01/15/15

Starting Score: TU FICO: 630
Current Score: TU FICO: 734 EX FICO: 704
Goal Score: 760+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
grinlikechelsea
Established Contributor

Re: AMEX Delta Skymiles PC to AMEX BCE: Sucess!!!

Congrats on the PC; the BCE is a great card. I love mine. Smiley Happy

In regards to other cards to apply for, we would need a little for information about your history and what you want. Inquiries, baddies, current FICO scores would be helpful as would what you want in terms of rewards (cash back, travel, points, etc).

Assuming you want cash back, Discover has been a great card to have. Wonderful customer service, 5% cash back on rotating categories and a good BT option if you want to pay off some debt. Chase Freedom is another one I would recommend. 

Message 2 of 16
Mannymal
New Contributor

Its hard to answer for now. When I started all of this my utilization was about 70% with a total credit limit of $3,300. By increasing my credit limits to a total of $9,000 and making big payments I was able to bring utilization down to under 25%. There were some late payments older than two years ago, and I disputed them. The results on EX are that three of the five disputed accounts removed their late payments but the accounts are not showing their full credit history (missing years of payments) so I gotta call EX. TU dispute results are not in.

Anways, my TU credit score was at aroun 630 and its now at 670 but the increase in credit limit and utilization have not been reported yet, so I am hoping that will put me past 700. I think I will wait for that to happen before I apply for the Disover It and Chase Freedom, and then hit the garden. 

I am not interested in travel cards as I am an airline pilot and thus fly for free, what I want is either cash back or nice rewards.

AMEX BCE: $3000, CHASE Freedom: $4000, Discover IT: $2,500, Barclay Apple: $1700, Barclay Arrival: $3,000, GE Amazon Store: $6000, Amazon CHASE Visa: $500, American Airlines Federal Credit Union: $6000, Macy's: $600. GARDENING 01/15/15

Starting Score: TU FICO: 630
Current Score: TU FICO: 734 EX FICO: 704
Goal Score: 760+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 16
CreditJunkie917
Frequent Contributor

Congrats!! Keep up the good work!

Amex PRG(NPSL), Amex BCE($5K), Amex Hilton($1K), NavCheck ($15K), NFCU CR Siggy($20K), USAA Amex($7K), USAA World MC($7K), CSP($2.3K), Chase Marriott($1.8K), Care Credit($2.5K), Cap1 QS($3.5K), VS($500), Cap1 Secure($200) Starting Scores(Jan 2013): FICO EQ: 643, TU: 552, EX: 567 Current Scores(Sept. 2016): FICO EQ: 672, TU: 703(?), EX: 682 In the Garden FOR-EV-ER!!!!! Cards and goals achieved! Let's grow and mature these babies!!!
Message 4 of 16
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Congrats! Thanks for sharing.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 5 of 16
longtime_lurker
Valued Contributor

Chase Freedom is my favorite of my cashback cards, but it also is my highest (effective 1.1-5.5% CB) because I opened a bank account with them.

Amex and Citi see plenty of usage - I just wish Citi's categories would be useful to me! Smiley Tongue

Current cards: MSUFCU Platinum, Amex PRG, Amex Surpass, Amex BCE, Citi Prestige, Citi Double Cash, Citi Premier, US Bank Cash +, Huntington Voice, AAviator, Sallie Mae, Discover IT, Chase Freedom TU:753 EQ Enhanced: 758
Message 6 of 16
peaceonearth
Established Contributor

@Mannymal wrote:

I'm very happy. I have been fixing my credit meticulously for a little over a month. Did some disputes, CLIs, and paid off a lot of balance. 

Well, before these positive results of these actions have had a chance to reflect on my credit report, I managed to work myself into a Blue Cash Everyday by getting approved for a Delta Skymiles, which is a very easy card to get (got mine with an EX FAKO of 603) and then calling the same day I received and activated the card and asking nicely if it could be converted to the BCE. The lady on the phone was extremely nice and just a minute or two later she had it converted without any problems. 

My credit limit is $1,000 which is low but perfectly fine as I only intend to use it for everyday purchases, and I'll apply for the 61 day CLI when its due. APR is 19% after the first year, I'll also work on getting that down even though I plan to PIF. 

These forums have been invaluable in my quest for 750+ credit, and even though the BCE was my main goal, I will continue coming here and doing what I can to improve my credit.

Any tips on what other cards I should go for? Discover It, Chase Chase Freedom, and then the garden?

I am just curious, what was your FICO score when you were approved for AMEX Delta?

Message 7 of 16
alvon123
Super Contributor

congrats

Message 8 of 16
krial
Regular Contributor

I second the Discover recommendation. They've been great, and the Discover shopping portal is so much better than that of Barclaycard or Chase (which are all I have to compare with). This quarter that is now ending I've gotten 10-15% cash back on just about everything I ordered online, and that's beastly around Christmas when I'm ordering a lot.

Goal: 800, Current Scores: EX 735, EQ 746, TU 745
Message 9 of 16
FastForward
Frequent Contributor

Congrats OP! Your story is very similar to mine, except that I had to wait a bit longer before being able to PC to BCE. I tried a couple days after activating the Delta Gold Skymiles but the CSR I spoke with at the time said my card wasn't eligible yet since it was still so new.  Then just yesterday, I contacted AmEx on another matter.  Before ending our conversation, I inquired again about a PC and that CSR said my card now qualified (with the account now open for a couple of weeks).  As you can see in my signature, the CL isn't very high, but I'm hoping for the 3xCLI some time in Feb.  Just wondering now if this recent PC will affect that (?).

@Peaceonearth, my EX score (per AmEx) was in the low 660's when I was initially approved for the Delta Gold Skymiles.  I'd read somewhere that applying through the Delta website for this card vs. through the actual AmEx website may optimize my chances, so that's what I did.  Ironically, I tried for an AmEx charge card (the PRG) almost immediately after the Delta Gold Skymiles approval, got the 7-10 day message and within a couple of days, got the decline.  Smiley Sad

So, in my situation, I guess it was easier for me to get an AmEx revolver (albeit, one of the "easier" revolvers to qualify for).......

By the way, how long does it typically take to get the new card and for the BCE (vs. the Delta Gold) to show up online under my account after the PC change?  Sorry, just a little excited.....

AmEx PRG (NPSL) | AmEx BCP (10k) | AmEx Blue Cash (1k) | AmEx SPG (3.5k) | Barclay Arrival WMC (7.5k) | Barclay Sallie Mae (1.5k) | Cap1 QS (2k) | Chase Freedom (1k) | Discover IT (4.5k) | InTouch (Local) CU MC (5k) | InTouch (Local) CU LOC (25k)

Citi/Best Buy (AU) (1.5k) | Citi/Best Buy (7.5k) | Comenity/Crate & Barrel (4k) | Comenity/Restoration Hardware (9k) | GE/Ethan Allen (2.5k) | Synchrony Bank/Banana Republic (3.3k) | Synchrony Bank/Gap (3.3k) | Synchrony Bank/Walmart (3.3k)

myFICO scores ~ 691 (EQ) 670 (EX) 712 (TU) || Goal scores: 750+ (all 3)
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.