Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX GOLD CARD Approved - I'm Back !

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX GOLD CARD Approved - I'm Back !

Just got  INSTANT APPROVED for a GOLD CARD with a 664 Experian.

Income reported just under 150K

Back in the late 90's I had 4 or 5 of different Amex cards, including a Gold Card, but I hit bad spot finanically and end up out of the Amex family. Now, almost 20 years later, I am finally out of the dog house.

I wanted the Platium Card, but I figured I'd better not cut down the odds of approval by going for the top card yet.  I can be more than happy with the Gold Card for now. Maybe in 6 months or so I'll try and upgrade to Platinum.  I honestly wasn't too confident that I'd get approved for GOLD, but reading this forum for the past month and seeing some people with similar scores to mine helped push me to apply.  Glad that I did.  Makes me wonder now if they would have approved the Platinum Card... LOL

Anyway, I am just waiting for my AMEX GOLD CARD to arrive in the mail, but they gave me the card number and I have set up an online account already. Cool that I can charge on the card immediately if I want even though I don't have it yet. I want an AMEX revolver card too though, so I thinking about appying for the AMEX CASH MAGNET, or the AMEX EVERYDAY Card...  The Hard Pull for the GOLD CARD only lowered my Experian score by 1 point, and since I am now in the AMEX family again it will only be a Soft Pull.

Just kind of scared to try because just having gotten approved for one card, I don't want to do anything to trigger one of those extra reviews they do. Scared of looking like I am getting too greedy too fast by appying for another card so soon, and then I end up with no cards at all .. lol
I didn't even touch the "Spending Power" button on the my account page on the website yet, because some people say if you play with that tool too much, testing high spend limts on it too much, it could trigger a finanical review because Amex might get nervous you intend be a wild spender....etc

I also decided to push my luck a little further on the same day by applying for the BANK OF AMERICA CASH REWARDS Card..

INSTANT APPROVAL for a 5500 CL   !!!!
They had sent me an offer for this card, but frankly I wasn't sure it would get approved since I had defaulted on a Bank of America account years ago and was told years ago they wouldn't open any further accounts for me since there was still a balance owed. But yet during all these years I still kept a checking account with them, and so I just kept repairing my relationship with them by trying to maintain a clean checking account over the years. So, out of their dog house now too.

I then, same day, decided to push my run of luck one step further by next appying for a CAPITAL ONE VENTURE Card. However, I got one of those messages stating they needed more time to consider the application and would let me know in 7-10 days... ( Grrrr !!! )...  Funny thing is that is the one I thought would be a slam dunk approval. I have two different CAP ONE PLATINUM card accounts with them already, and haven't missed a payment ever on those two cards - 24 months old.   One has a 3500K  CL, and other has a 500 CL.  1% Utilization overall..    Keeping my fingers crossed they will email or sent a letter saying they apporved it, but I doubt it.

40 REPLIES 40
Nova5041
Frequent Contributor

Re: AMEX GOLD CARD Approved - I'm Back !

Congrats on the Approvals, Nice BOA SL! Btw, the gold card and platinum card have the same underwriting, so it wouldnt matter which one you choose, just the annual fee and perks would have been the difference.

BK 7 Discharged: 5/30/2018
Fico Scores after Discharge: Experian-552 TransUnion- 490 Equifax- 571
Message 2 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Nova5041 wrote:

Congrats on the Approvals, Nice BOA SL! Btw, the gold card and platinum card have the same underwriting, so it wouldnt matter which one you choose, just the annual fee and perks would have been the difference.

Oh, wow.  So do you mean if I applied for Platinum now, I'd have a chance of getting approval ? Or should I just wait a few months and show good habits with the GOLD first ?

Message 3 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

COngrats on your both approvals !!!

Message 4 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

COngrats on your both approvals !!!

Thanks a lot !   Reading all the good advice and shared experiencs on this forum really has been a great help. Both in term of information and giving us all a bit more confidence to apply.  Not too get to giddy over a credit card, but it is just nice to feel like to you've climbed back up a hill after you have fallen down from it... etc.

Message 5 of 41
Nova5041
Frequent Contributor

Well you can call and cancel the gold card if you want, and get the platinum card. I orginally had got the gold card and i really wanted the Premier Rewards Gold Card and when i found they shared the same underwriting, i called and canceled the card. If you really want the platinum and it benefits you considering the annual fee, i say go for it. The gold, green and platinum cards shares the same underwriting so no worries.

BK 7 Discharged: 5/30/2018
Fico Scores after Discharge: Experian-552 TransUnion- 490 Equifax- 571
Message 6 of 41
MrDFinance
Established Contributor

Congrats on the approval Smiley Happy Great card to have

Message 7 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on getting back with Amex! Nice pickups! Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 41
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

Cap One is not a denial yet.

Many have been approved with 7-10 day.

I got it and ended up with 30k SL at 13.9%.

I think they just slow down now due to fraud.

GL and Congrats!

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 9 of 41
xaximus
Valued Contributor

Congrats on the approvals! I would definitely garden after the Cap1 card!

Scores - All bureaus 770 +
TCL - Est. $410K
Message 10 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.