Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Gold APPROVED!

tag
citymunky
Established Contributor

AMEX Gold APPROVED!

Being that my credit was in dumper early last year (long story), I never thought I would be approved for AMEX card until my baddies fell off my report. I would always check if I qualify for an offer on the AMEX website, but I never did, I was afraid of the hard pull with the very real possibility of being deined. After learning that AMEX is now approved apps with soft pull data, I decided to try my luck with the AMEX Gold Card, which, to my surprise 😮 I was approved! To accept the card, I had to agree to the official EX hard pull which did dropped my score by a point. I know I said I was going to do some gardening after my SavorOne approval, but building a relationship AMEX was too temping after knowing I was going to be approved. 

Data Point: AMEX made a Hard Inquiry on EX for me to accept the card, but I also got a notice from Credit Karma that AMEX also tried to pull my TU, which was locked.

Rebuilding since 2021

Closed CCs
USAA (Jul 2019| Settled CO), Jasper $1 CL (Jul21-Jul22), Sable $250CL{Secured} (Jan22-Jun23), CreditOne Platinum $750CL (Jul21-Aug23), Prosper $1.9K CL (Jan22-Apr24)

Starting FICO 8 Scores:
Current FICO 8 Scores:

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
FishingGuy
Frequent Contributor

Re: AMEX Gold APPROVED!

Congratulations on getting in with Amex on your rebuild.   Now take it slow..... use the card and pay in full.  A few years ago I was excited to be approved for the Amex Gold also......  I often pay my card in full before the bill cuts... now I have several other cards with them and an additional $47,500 in credit.  ( and I don't really ask for increases ).  If you're good with them, they're good with you.  

Message 2 of 23
firefox100
Valued Contributor

Congratulations enjoy happy thanksgiving.

Message 3 of 23
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Congrats on your Gold Approval.

Message 4 of 23
coreyb80
Super Contributor

Congrats on the approval!

Message 5 of 23
nytokyobred79
Valued Contributor

Congratulations on getting in with Amex. Echoing what @FishingGuy said. Take it slow, use the card responsibly and Amex will eventually offer you more credit options down the line. Good luck with building a strong relationship with them. 

Avoided credit cards after ruining my financial health but got back into the game in 2019 after a 20 year hiatus
Total Revolving CL- $204,500 | Order of Opened Cards
Delta SkyMiles Blue- SL-$1K | CL- $22.6K
(pc'd from SkyMiles Platinum back to Blue)
Delta SkyMiles Reserve- SL- $10K | CL- $20K
Chase Sapphire Reserve- SL $20K | CL- $39K
Cap 1 Venture Rewards- SL $10K | CL $ 19.5K
Amex Everyday Preferred- SL $13.1K | CL $10K ( moved some limits around )
Chase Freedom Unlimited: SL $23.4K| CL $36.8K
BOA Unlimited Cash SL: $20.8K| CL $10.8K(moved some limits around)
BOA Travel Rewards SL: $20.8K | CL $5.8K(moved some limits around)
Amex Blue Cash Everyday SL: $10K
Amex Green Card: NPSL / POT: 17K
BOA BankAmericard: SL: $5K | CL: $30K
Message 6 of 23
FLLGuy
Frequent Contributor

Congrats and Welcome to Amex - they've been waiting on you!   woooohoooo!  Love Amex CSR is better than most other institutions.

Message 7 of 23
IamWesty12
Frequent Contributor

@citymunky wrote:

Being that my credit was in dumper early last year (long story), I never thought I would be approved for AMEX card until my baddies fell off my report. I would always check if I qualify for an offer on the AMEX website, but I never did, I was afraid of the hard pull with the very real possibility of being deined. After learning that AMEX is now approved apps with soft pull data, I decided to try my luck with the AMEX Gold Card, which, to my surprise 😮 I was approved! To accept the card, I had to agree to the official EX hard pull which did dropped my score by a point. I know I said I was going to do some gardening after my SavorOne approval, but building a relationship AMEX was too temping after knowing I was going to be approved. 

Edit: Just notice, I posted this on the wrong section.

@citymunky Congrats!  I remember years ago I had an Amex card that eventually went to S**T.  Flash forward about 1.5 years ago and I got an Amex card, granted it was $1K SL but it stated at the top of my welcome letter "Member since 1988" lol!  You are back in now, baby.....CELEBRATE!!!!

Starting Score: 461
Current Score: 689
Goal Score: 775

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 23
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@FishingGuy wrote:

Congratulations on getting in with Amex on your rebuild.   Now take it slow..... use the card and pay in full.  A few years ago I was excited to be approved for the Amex Gold also......  I often pay my card in full before the bill cuts... now I have several other cards with them and an additional $47,500 in credit.  ( and I don't really ask for increases ).  If you're good with them, they're good with you.  

Being that the Gold card is a charge card, it MUST be paid in full every month. Unless you use Pay Over Time, but that has it's risks and can lead to a hard limit being placed on the Gold card.

Anyway, @citymunky congrats!

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 9 of 23
gingerflower
Valued Contributor

@citymunky 

Congratulations on your American Gold Express!

Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.