Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Gold Card Approved!

tag
Ph0XeLua
Established Member

AMEX Gold Card Approved!

Hi all!

Great news! I just got approved for the AMEX Gold card.

After convinving my wife to upgrade her AMEX Everyday card to the preferred cash card and adding me as an authorized user, I finally started using the AMEX App to track my spending and use their free credit report tool. Coming off an BK in 2014 and rebuilding since, I surprisingly had prequalified offers for most of their cards. I've been in the garden for over 4 months, so I spent the last 48 hours reading through the forums regarding the amex app. I applied for 3 new cards in 2020, so was hesitant to app, but i'm glad I did. 

Not sure if I should be greedy, but I read in a couple of posts that I can technically app for 2 AMEX in the same day and only get 1 HP, since im new again to AMEX. I read that one card has to be a charge card and the other a revolver. Unfortunately, I'm not 100% sure what is what. 

Can someone confirm and advise what other card I can get same day as the gold card?

(My preference would be to get the Preferred Cash cash with $95 annual fee.)

Also, the approval said the card has "No Pre-Set Spending Limit". What does this mean in terms of credit limit? and would I even need to worry about the 3x CLI rule?

Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES 31
thornback
Senior Contributor

Re: AMEX Gold Card Approved!

Congrats on your approval! 

There is a big difference between the Amex Gold charge-card and a revolver. 

With a revolver you are given an established limit and are required to pay at least the minimum due each month which allows the flexibility of carrying a balance from month to month while only paying a portion of the total each month. 

A charge card, on the the other hand, would not give you a set limit like the revolver (hence, the 'no preset spending limit' language), instead you are able to charge within an internal limit they establish for you.  This internal limit is not known to you, so a purchase could be declined if it will cause you to exceed your internal limit.  Over time, the internal limit will increase.  You are also required to pay the entire balance in full each month, by the due date - there is no 'minimum payment' amount and no carrying of balances from month to month.   *Amex does offer a 'Pay Over Time' feature (tho not sure if it's for everyone or select card holders) which will allow you to create a payment plan for a portion of your balance.    There are no CLI requests with charge cards, only revolvers.

The Amex Platinum, Gold, and Green are charge cards.   The Amex Blue,  Amex Blue Cash Everday,  Amex Everyday,  Amex Magnet, Amex Blue Cash Preferred,  Amex Hilton (all),  Amex Bonvoy, and Amex Delta (all) are revolvers.

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 2 of 32
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Grats on your Gold Amex approval!!

Message 3 of 32
barca
Regular Contributor

@thornback wrote:

Congrats on your approval! 

Over time, the internal limit will increase.  You are also required to pay the entire balance in full each month, by the due date - there is no 'minimum payment' amount and no carrying of balances from month to month.   *Amex does offer a 'Pay Over Time' feature (tho not sure if it's for everyone or select card holders) which will allow you to create a payment plan for a portion of your balance.    There are no CLI requests with charge cards, only revolvers.

out of curiousity -

if you don't pay the entire balance on the charge card and there is no "pay over time feature" what will happen?

Message 4 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Awesome! Congrats on getting in with Amex.

Message 5 of 32
thornback
Senior Contributor

@barca wrote:

out of curiousity -

if you don't pay the entire balance on the charge card and there is no "pay over time feature" what will happen?

Amex will suspend your charging privileges until the balance is paid.   Once you're 30 days late, you would be considered in default and, just like every other credit card, you will be reported late each month until the balance is paid in full.  The account will charge-off if it's not paid by the 180 day late mark (Amex will likely close the account completely- with the balance still due -  well before it enters charge-off status though).

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 6 of 32
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Congratulations on your approval!
Message 7 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats!!!

Message 8 of 32
barca
Regular Contributor

@thornback wrote:

@barca wrote:

out of curiousity -

Amex will suspend your charging privileges until the balance is paid.   Once you're 30 days late, you would be considered in default and, just like every other credit card, you will be reported late each month until the balance is paid in full.  The account will charge-off if it's not paid by the 180 day late mark (Amex will likely close the account completely- with the balance still due -  well before it enters charge-off status though).

Thanks for the info.

so for example:

statement close date = 1/1/2021

payment due date = 1/31/2021

balance = $1000

if I pay $500 on say 1/20/2021.

that means I still owe $500 and I allow due date to pass

I now pay the remaining $500 on 2/3/2021.

It is not yet 30 day past due.

but I did not pay the full amount on the due date.

will amex still take adverse action against me?

Message 9 of 32
Ph0XeLua
Established Member

@thornback  Appreciate the fast response! Thank you for laying out the explanation. I never knew charge cards existed or atleast have to pay off right away. Which is fine for me.

Any thoughts on me getting a regolver same day? Will it still count as 1 HP and can I get the signing bonus?

Message 10 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.