Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX - Magnet - 5K SL Approval!

tag
xaximus
Valued Contributor

Re: AMEX - Magnet - 5K SL Approval!

Congrats on the new Amex. Crazy increase in SL from one to another but if you have been using the card well and PIF then who knows, maybe Amex was in the giving mood (lol). Either way, welcome!

Scores - All bureaus 770 +
TCL - Est. $410K
Message 11 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Did a check online for preapproved offers and saw the Magnet card with 0% intro for 15 months on balance transfers... Totally shocked at 5k because AMEX (Everyday) only approved 500 a month or two ago... 

Last Fico8-Bankcard TU/EX was 691; Overall Util on CC debt 69% (still high I know....but dropping! since it was 88% in 1/2018)

Largest SL ever received on a new card and first AMEX Smiley Surprised

Nice SL. Congrats! Smiley Happy

Message 12 of 20
polaris2011
Contributor

Congrats OP!!

I got approved for a Cash Magnet today for $1k after getting $4K yesterday on the AMEX Everyday. It cost me two HPs and 4pts on EX (after the second HP) but it feels good to get one of my 2018 goals done. As for Util, mine is low but when I mentioned to the rep on the phone that I wanted a balance transfer for the Everyday card that would put the Util well over 70%, he scoffed and said it wouldn't matter.

I laughed!!! He immediately apologized though and said it wasn't his place to give credit advice. Anyway, it was generally a nice chat where I admitted that I didn't need the Magnet card but I thought it looked great, so what the hell I'll go ahead and risk the HP. Smiley Very Happy

FICO 08 Scores (Starting; BK Discharged 4/15): EQ 647, TU 655, EX 638
FICO 08 Scores (Mar-18): EQ 757, TU 736, EX 746
Score Goal: 741
Current Cards: Cap1 QS: $1500 | USAA Preferred: $16000 | PayPal MasterCard: $7500 | Discover Miles: $12000 | AMEX ED: $12000 | AMEX Cash Magnet: $1000 | Citi Diamond Preferred: $3700
Cancelled Cards: OpenSky: $200
Message 13 of 20
bodyboy1
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
That’s great! Congrats! I was curious about this new card with Amex myself. I wonder if anyone else has had luck with generous SL’s on this newly offered card with them.

May be something there worth looking into, especially if OP was only offered $500 a month or two ago on ED. That’s quite a jump for Amex. I was still offered measly 1K on my 2nd Amex and it was 4 months later.

Congrats again OP! Amex is great! I’m working more towards bus credit with them now. They seem to like me better on that aspect. I know my personal cards will grow though. Going for 3X CLI on ED next week. Hopefully it gets approved this time!

> YES..   I DID..  2 Weeks ago!  $15k. FIFTEEN THOUSAND DOLLARS! after being on AMEX BLACKLIST for over5 years.

Amazon 5K. AMEX PRG 35kPOT./AMEX MAG 15k. BARNEYS 28.7k. Banana. BAO. CITI Bestbuy/Bloomies 15k/Diamond/Thanku/Macy's 15k. Chase/Freedom. DiscoveriT 13.5K/Chrome. FRONTGATE 4K. Jetblue 5.7K. JCrew 7k. JCPenney 5k. Ring 10k. Sear's MC 11.3k. SAKS 5K SamsClub 10K. Target MC 8.4k. Walmart 6k. Wayfair 4.8k... be good to yourself!
Message 14 of 20
bodyboy1
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Did a check online for preapproved offers and saw the Magnet card with 0% intro for 15 months on balance transfers... Totally shocked at 5k because AMEX (Everyday) only approved 500 a month or two ago... 

Last Fico8-Bankcard TU/EX was 691; Overall Util on CC debt 69% (still high I know....but dropping! since it was 88% in 1/2018)

Largest SL ever received on a new card and first AMEX Smiley Surprised

> Much Congratulations to you!   It’s a great Card to have..   my Favorite rite now!

Amazon 5K. AMEX PRG 35kPOT./AMEX MAG 15k. BARNEYS 28.7k. Banana. BAO. CITI Bestbuy/Bloomies 15k/Diamond/Thanku/Macy's 15k. Chase/Freedom. DiscoveriT 13.5K/Chrome. FRONTGATE 4K. Jetblue 5.7K. JCrew 7k. JCPenney 5k. Ring 10k. Sear's MC 11.3k. SAKS 5K SamsClub 10K. Target MC 8.4k. Walmart 6k. Wayfair 4.8k... be good to yourself!
Message 15 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@bodyboy1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
That’s great! Congrats! I was curious about this new card with Amex myself. I wonder if anyone else has had luck with generous SL’s on this newly offered card with them.

May be something there worth looking into, especially if OP was only offered $500 a month or two ago on ED. That’s quite a jump for Amex. I was still offered measly 1K on my 2nd Amex and it was 4 months later.

Congrats again OP! Amex is great! I’m working more towards bus credit with them now. They seem to like me better on that aspect. I know my personal cards will grow though. Going for 3X CLI on ED next week. Hopefully it gets approved this time!

> YES..   I DID..  2 Weeks ago!  $15k. FIFTEEN THOUSAND DOLLARS! after being on AMEX BLACKLIST for over5 years.

Wow! You're giving me Amex fever now... not that I haven't already had it (loving those SP approvals!)

Anyhow, I think I'll hold off for a little while longer before I get anymore cards with them. Want to let the ones I have age so that next approval will be a nice big SL! Unless of course there is a really good SUB on any new bus cards I can take advantage of. Smiley Tongue

I've already got 3 credit lines with them and 5 is the max so...

Plus, don't want to just get new cards for SUBs if I won't continue to utilize the card once it's reached. That wouldn't be very smart OR show off all of the knowledge I've gained here from our wonderful family, now would it!?? Smiley Very Happy

Message 16 of 20
2IMPROVE1
Contributor

Did AMEX do a HP or did they use your recent SP with them.  My SP was 7/14 696 but score just decreased 32 points because I let my AMEX report with a zero balance not realizing I should always let a balance report because it is brutal on scores. I will definitely have a balance report next month so I know I will have an increase just hope it is the amount of points I lost!

August 2018- Equifax 658 TU 651 Exp 659
October 2018-Equifax 703 TU 701 Exp 706
January 2019 Equifax 708 TU 704 Exp 710

Message 17 of 20
polaris2011
Contributor

@2IMPROVE1 wrote:

Did AMEX do a HP or did they use your recent SP with them.  My SP was 7/14 696 but score just decreased 32 points because I let my AMEX report with a zero balance not realizing I should always let a balance report because it is brutal on scores. I will definitely have a balance report next month so I know I will have an increase just hope it is the amount of points I lost!

Hey, can you please explain what you mean by "I let my AMEX report with a zero balance not realizing I should always let a balance report because it is brutal on scores"? I just got 2 Amex cards and I don't know much about how best to use them without blowing a hole in my scores. Thanks.

FICO 08 Scores (Starting; BK Discharged 4/15): EQ 647, TU 655, EX 638
FICO 08 Scores (Mar-18): EQ 757, TU 736, EX 746
Score Goal: 741
Current Cards: Cap1 QS: $1500 | USAA Preferred: $16000 | PayPal MasterCard: $7500 | Discover Miles: $12000 | AMEX ED: $12000 | AMEX Cash Magnet: $1000 | Citi Diamond Preferred: $3700
Cancelled Cards: OpenSky: $200
Message 18 of 20
2IMPROVE1
Contributor

So I paid my AMEX balance in full $40 and when they reported this month Experian update it now shows I have a zero balance with them.  Based on the FICO model when credit cards report that you have a zero balance it hurts your score.  When AMEX completed the soft pull on July 14th my score was 696 but now that the report is updated with the zero balance my score decreased by 32 points.

August 2018- Equifax 658 TU 651 Exp 659
October 2018-Equifax 703 TU 701 Exp 706
January 2019 Equifax 708 TU 704 Exp 710

Message 19 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on an awesome and awesome SL! Smiley Happy (Also, good job paying everything down, keep it up!)

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.