Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX PLATINUM CARD APPROVAL WITH 3 MONTH CREDIT HISTORY

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX PLATINUM CARD APPROVAL WITH 3 MONTH CREDIT HISTORY

Hey everyone, so I’m 18, got my first credit card on July 23 of this year (student card) which had 750 credit line which got increased to 1000 recently. Tonight I was watching some videos and decided to apply for an Amex gold card just to see what would happen, and to my surprise, I got approved with barely 3 months of any credit history. My question is, was this a bad idea on my part, or will it help my credit? (If I pay it off every month of course)

Vantage score: 660

Edit: I applied for the platinum later that night and then canceled my golf because I get a free gold anyways.
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX GOLD CARD APPROVAL WITH 3 MONTH CREDIT HISTORY

As long as you PIF and are never late it will help. Well done my first card in 1997 was AMEX green!

Message 2 of 21
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

Welcome to the Fourm

While charge cards don’t calculate into your utilization scoring. They are still considered a positive trade line as long as the account is kept current. This will help your score.

Congrats on the approval

A mod will be moving this into the credit card approvals section shortly.

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 3 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

So I kinda played around some more and somehow got approved for a platinum... I’m confused
Message 4 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dont play with fire young one..my opinion you do not need a 550 AF platinum card...dont get trigger happy 😆
Message 5 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

LMAO HOW DO I CANCEL ONE OF THE CARDS?!
Message 6 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

To be honest, very hard to believe they approved you 2 amex card with thin file of credit
Message 7 of 21
jdbkiang
Established Contributor

Will you be able to meet the minimum spend on these cards? Do you travel or have a good income?

[2/2019]
Message 8 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

So I talked with Amex, and they can cancel the gold card with no extra fees and such and they also said I can add a gold card to the platinum with no extra fees, which is pretty cool. Still surprised how they approved me when I’ve barely had my credit card for 3 months. Weird
Message 9 of 21
Geordi
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
LMAO HOW DO I CANCEL ONE OF THE CARDS?!

Smiley Very Happy

I too am laughing.

It took less than 2 hours to learn that if you meet the requirements for one Amex charge card, typically you meet the requirements for them all. I would guess Amex is laugh happy too, $800 in fees.

Typically they will expedite the Platinum card to you.

I will let someone else advise you on how to call and explain your dilemma.

Both when I was in my late teens, I too applied and got an Amex Green card, is wasn’t long before I learned how NOT to use a charge card. But I didn’t have the benefit of Fico forums 40 years ago.

There are a lot of good people here with tons of experience. Read, ask questions and you’ll do fine.

Congrats on you approvals. 

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.