tag
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: AMEX Platinum 100k offer got me!

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

How frequent are these 100k offers for the platinum?

You can find them by checking for offers in incognito/private browser tabs, or using a VPN to connect via IP addresses in different areas. I got mine just with Chrome incognito.

So I just basically went in incognito mode, did a google search for 'Amex prequalification', and this led me to the Amex site where I saw 'Prequalify' on the top right of the toolbar. I but in my name, last four of my ssn, and then it brough me too a sign in page, which led me to the American Express site. Once logged in, only saw a listing of all of the available Amex cards. Does this sound familar? Or are there any other amex prequal sites?

This always happens to me every single time.  Incognito windows do no good once you give them your info and they recognize it.

+1

This has always been my experience as well.

Message 31 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You can find them by checking for offers in incognito/private browser tabs, or using a VPN to connect via IP addresses in different areas. I got mine just with Chrome incognito.

So I just basically went in incognito mode, did a google search for 'Amex prequalification', and this led me to the Amex site where I saw 'Prequalify' on the top right of the toolbar. I but in my name, last four of my ssn, and then it brough me too a sign in page, which led me to the American Express site. Once logged in, only saw a listing of all of the available Amex cards. Does this sound familar? Or are there any other amex prequal sites?

This always happens to me every single time.  Incognito windows do no good once you give them your info and they recognize it.

+1

Then you just need to try different browsers.  There are lots of them and Amex isn't going to recognize you in all of them.  Sometimes you just have to refresh over and over to get the offer to appear. Also timing is important.  There is no point in anyone looking for a 100K offer for the Platinum card right now because one doesn't exist currently.  Only way you'll get that offer right now is if amex sends you one.  If one happens to reappear people are going to have to be very careful in applying if the offer is just a leaked one that wasn't intended to be public.  when the last one showed up here and across the internet, people applied, received the 100K MR points only to have Amex suspend their ability to transfer those points.  For quite a few people they are going on months having their MR account locked.

Message 32 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

+1

Then you just need to try different browsers.  There are lots of them and Amex isn't going to recognize you in all of them.  Sometimes you just have to refresh over and over to get the offer to appear. Also timing is important.  There is no point in anyone looking for a 100K offer for the Platinum card right now because one doesn't exist currently.  Only way you'll get that offer right now is if amex sends you one.  If one happens to reappear people are going to have to be very careful in applying if the offer is just a leaked one that wasn't intended to be public.  when the last one showed up here and across the internet, people applied, received the 100K MR points only to have Amex suspend their ability to transfer those points.  For quite a few people they are going on months having their MR account locked.

Ouch!! Suspending the ability to transfer MR points  would hurt me alot...smh. I started researching the perks of the plat card a few days ago, and I could really benefit from them as I do travel frequently. The100k points would really put me in the drivers sit, but only if I could transfer them. 

According to your post, it looks like it is best if Amex gives you the offer directly...I guess I would have to wait.

Message 33 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

+1

Ouch!! Suspending the ability to transfer MR points  would hurt me alot...smh. I started researching the perks of the plat card a few days ago, and I could really benefit from them as I do travel frequently. The100k points would really put me in the drivers sit, but only if I could transfer them. 

According to your post, it looks like it is best if Amex gives you the offer directly...I guess I would have to wait.

Well it's hard to tell what they will do if another reappears.  In the last year or so there has been two times when the 100K offer that was supposed to be a targeted offer appeared across the internet.  The first resulted in the most applications and Amex did nothing other than remove the link after a few days.  When it happened again is when Amex decided to make a move and it wasnt solely based on the offer being public/private.  What a lot of people were doing was apply for the card, get the 100K MR points and transfer them to an airline, use the $200 airline credit and then cancel the card either before the AF hit or just after they paid it and then cancel which resulted in a prorated refund.  Amex was losing tons of money tis way and finally they said enough is enough.  Eventually all these accounts will have to be unlocked but Amex is making people while they go over their accounts with a fine toothed comb.  Additionally changed their policy to no longer allow pro rated refunds of annual fees if you cancel the card.

In short, you're right that a targeted offer is the best but unfortunately they are hard to come by, especially if you already have an Amex card.

Message 34 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

+1

Well it's hard to tell what they will do if another reappears.  In the last year or so there has been two times when the 100K offer that was supposed to be a targeted offer appeared across the internet.  The first resulted in the most applications and Amex did nothing other than remove the link after a few days.  When it happened again is when Amex decided to make a move and it wasnt solely based on the offer being public/private.  What a lot of people were doing was apply for the card, get the 100K MR points and transfer them to an airline, use the $200 airline credit and then cancel the card either before the AF hit or just after they paid it and then cancel which resulted in a prorated refund.  Amex was losing tons of money tis way and finally they said enough is enough.  Eventually all these accounts will have to be unlocked but Amex is making people while they go over their accounts with a fine toothed comb.  Additionally changed their policy to no longer allow pro rated refunds of annual fees if you cancel the card.

In short, you're right that a targeted offer is the best but unfortunately they are hard to come by, especially if you already have an Amex card.

Thanks for the insight....There are alot of savy point collectors out there I see lol. I actually would like to keep the card as I travel alot.

I was targeted with a 50,000 MR for a $5,000 spend back in May, which is nothing near the 100,000 MR...smh. I currently have the BCP. I'll just continue to wait, back in the garden I shall go.

Message 35 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

+1

Since when? I got mine a month ago - it was not in any way part of that public fiasco, nor was it sent to me. It just showed up when I did their pre-qualify checker, a week after getting the personal SPG. It can show up for anyone, as you mentioned by using other browsers, other IP addresses etc. 

If I connect through Germany, for example, pretty regularly clicking the "Personal Cards" link on the homepage will show me 100k plat, 75k plat, 65k PRG, and 50k PRG - without putting my info in at all.

Message 36 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

+1

Since when? I got mine a month ago - it was not in any way part of that public fiasco, nor was it sent to me. It just showed up when I did their pre-qualify checker, a week after getting the personal SPG. It can show up for anyone, as you mentioned by using other browsers, other IP addresses etc. 

If I connect through Germany, for example, pretty regularly clicking the "Personal Cards" link on the homepage will show me 100k plat, 75k plat, 65k PRG, and 50k PRG - without putting my info in at all.

As I said, it exists if they send you one.  An offer that shows up on their prequalification page is a targeted offer and the same thing.  If you apply via any other way, you run the risk of having the same thing happen to you but not nearly as much as the link that was passed around that led to the MR shutdowns.

Message 37 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

As I said, it exists if they send you one.  An offer that shows up on their prequalification page is a targeted offer and the same thing.  If you apply via any other way, you run the risk of having the same thing happen to you but not nearly as much as the link that was passed around that led to the MR shutdowns.

I totally understand you - but my point was that they didn't 'send' anything... and as I pointed out with that last bit, anyone can get those offers to pop up if they try enough browsers, IP addresses, etc  - so it's safe to say that what I quoted you saying earlier is indeed not true. There is absolutely a point in people looking for the 100k Platinum offer, and it absolutely does exist currently - without being sent to you.

Message 38 of 39
Vegas4Play
Valued Contributor

Congrats on your approval !!

Fico 8's TU 756/ EQ 754/ EX 743- 8/2020// AAoA 5.7 years // Lines August 2020 = 619k Personal - Business 61k // Inquiries 6 TU - 0 Exp - 0 Eq.
Message 39 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.