Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Platinum Card APPROVED! ... BUT!

tag
plasticcards
New Contributor

AMEX Platinum Card APPROVED! ... BUT!

So I am traveling a lot in the next 3 months. I know the Playtinum card has good benefits for travel. I opened a regular Blue card with Amex in late July of this year. I always paid in full and made payments like 7 times a month because my CL is only $1500 Smiley Sad I was planning to go for the 3X 61 day CLI. I always wanted the Platinum but I guess everyone thinks it's hard to get or just like the best Amex card. I decided what the heck let's do it. I applied and got instantly approved! I was sooo happy lol 

Now I have a couple questions. I had the Zync charge card couple years back. Within the first month I charged a bit over 1k and they frozed my account and got a FR yikes! I  sent the forms etc. But did not match because of bank things I had in different accounts etc. They ended up closing it. Now What can you do to not get a FR? Since I have the Blue card pay in full for the past 2 months help? Should I not charge big items? WHat's your guys advice? Also Now that I just got approved for the platinum card. Can I still do the 61 day CLI for my Blue car? or is that a no no? Thanks! =) 

Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
red259
Super Contributor

Re: AMEX Platinum Card APPROVED! ... BUT!

I would be very curious of the answer on this as well. I could see a situation where I pick up my first amex card and put well over 1k in a month on the card and I would hate to have to go through an FR for something like that. When you did this with your zync card how much income did you claim when you applied for it? Did you have any other credit cards at the time? Did you make an on time payment?

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 2 of 27
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Worrying about FR is a waste of time.  Despite the many threads about it here, no one really has any idea what causes it.  Really the only thing you should do is have another form of payment available to you and then use your card exactly as you would if you never even heard of an Amex FR.  

That said, the fact that they previously closed OP's account after going through an FR does seem to make OP more likely to be put through one again.  But there's really nothing you can do about that.  And if it hasn't happened on the revolver yet, hopefully it won't happen here either.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 27
jomama22

If its any consolation, I just got my first 3 ccs this month, the first being an amex. I have run $1400 on it in less then 3 weeks with no issues at all. My cl is $10k though so that may make a difference.
Message 4 of 27
SuperKirby
Established Contributor

That's good news to the OP that they closed his account after a FR, but still gave him other cards.

Message 5 of 27
azguy13
Senior Contributor

I was FR'd and AMEX closed my account in 2010. I ran way too much money through it while paying the minimum balance. I do not blame them at all. I really hope to get back in with them at some point next year. Your situation gives me hope. 

Message 6 of 27
SuperKirby
Established Contributor

I'm worried for me. I'm running a lot of business expenses through my personal card and going past my reported income. I think i'm bound to get FR'd.

Message 7 of 27
enharu
Super Contributor

@SuperKirby wrote:

I'm worried for me. I'm running a lot of business expenses through my personal card and going past my reported income. I think i'm bound to get FR'd.

If you do get FR'ed, it's not the end of the day.

All you have to do is to submit the documents (no real harm really. Your personal info is probably in safer hands with them as compared to this), and explain the charges.

Adverse action may not happen at all.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 8 of 27
SuperKirby
Established Contributor

@enharu wrote:

@SuperKirby wrote:

All you have to do is to submit the documents (no real harm really. Your personal info is probably in safer hands with them as compared to this), and explain the charges.

Hopefully. How about side jobs? For one example, I buy tons of furniture for properties and rent them out. But I don't own these properties, I help my friend out and she pays me (She has too many properties to handle). This is on top of regular business expenses for my salaried job. Probably will not look good...

Message 9 of 27
enharu
Super Contributor

@SuperKirby wrote:

@enharu wrote:

@SuperKirby wrote:

Hopefully. How about side jobs? For one example, I buy tons of furniture for properties and rent them out. But I don't own these properties, I help my friend out and she pays me (She has too many properties to handle). This is on top of regular business expenses for my salaried job. Probably will not look good...

Well, you are supposed to report all taxable income on your tax docs, so it shouldn't be a problem.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.