cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Platinum approval. Denied for gold.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX Platinum approval. Denied for gold.

Hey there! First time posting.  

I was denied earlier on in the week for the gold card but was approved yesterday for the platinum card. Seems kind of odd to me. But hey, I am grateful for the approval. They probably just want my $550 AF. 

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Total80sKid
Senior Contributor

Re: AMEX Platinum approval. Denied for gold.

Congrats! Smiley Happy
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you! I'm excited to start using all the benefits immediately. 

Message 3 of 11
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

I can just see little green men sitting in a backroom over in Amex headquarters laughing and playing tricks to see who can get the most AF signups . "Hey Blue," "Yeah Cash?" "This here fella wants a gold card!" "LOL, lets say no, see if we can squeeze out more if he goes fora Plat"" " Haha, ok ,NO!". Little fella, oh jeez, no go on the gold, ah well, let me try the Plat, higher status anyway. " Yes, he went for it. APPROVED, I WIN!!"

Nice job, now make sure you make them little green make earn their keepSmiley Wink
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hahah. That's what I was thinking too. I Just spoke to the platinum customer service and the representive was so confused as to why I was denied for the Gold but approved for the platinum. I was told to call the new  accounts number to see what the deal was. She did state that they may be able to accommodate me with downgrading AND getting the initial sign up bonus since that was the one I intended on getting but was approved for their "better" card. I'll call them but to be honest the, all the benefits of the Platinum really out weigh the annual fee. 

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex did you a favor!! Plat is their only charge card worth having!

Message 6 of 11
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Says FL9 lolSmiley Wink

If it is worth it to you, thats all that mattersSmiley Happy
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hahah. That's what I was thinking too. I Just spoke to the platinum customer service and the representive was so confused as to why I was denied for the Gold but approved for the platinum. I was told to call the new  accounts number to see what the deal was. She did state that they may be able to accommodate me with downgrading AND getting the initial sign up bonus since that was the one I intended on getting but was approved for their "better" card. I'll call them but to be honest the, all the benefits of the Platinum really out weigh the annual fee. 

I see the Gold as the better card.  50000 points  + 200 travel credit - 0 AF > 60000 points  + 400 travel credit- 550 annual fee.   To me  the  rest is completey useless stuff.  After the first year the Platinum is 200 travel credit - 550 annual fee.   -350 dollars.  

Message 8 of 11
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I see the Gold as the better card.  50000 points  + 200 travel credit - 0 AF > 60000 points  + 400 travel credit- 550 annual fee.   To me  the  rest is completey useless stuff.  After the first year the Platinum is 200 travel credit - 550 annual fee.   -350 dollars.  

"To me" is going to be the operative phrase there, and you're basing that on having the card for 12 months and closing it.  The completely useless stuff that I have already enjoyed with my Platinum card: fantastic customer service with the ability to connect directly to a helpful CSR with one push of a button in the Amex app, gold status with Marriott (free breakfasts and wifi alone have already paid for my entire 2017 annual fee), Ritz-Carlton, Starwood, Hilton, and a number of car rental companies, essentially free Global Entry for me and my authorized user, lounge access, purchase protection, 5x MR points (which is 1.66 Starpoints) on airfare purchases bought at the lowest fares directly from the airlines, and the larger travel credit.  Shared with the Gold are the ability to make massive purchases without it affecting my revolving utilization and scores, and the ability to transfer MR points directly to my preferred travel rewards program.  For me, the Platinum makes great sense, while the Gold card I used for much of my adult life for 95+% of purchases is likely going to be canceled this year.

Congrats OP on the approval for the Platinum.  Certainly odd about the Gold denial, but if it fits your spend and goals the Platinum is a great card!

Message 9 of 11
drboxing
Established Contributor

How long did you wait to apply for the Platinum after u were denied the Gold card?

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.