Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Platinum

tag
DangerNoodle
New Contributor

AMEX Platinum

Hello Everyone!
I just got approved for the AMEX Platinum card.
It honeslty took me by surprise. I'm only 18 with a very thin credit history and only a $15,000 income.
I've been an authorized user on my parent's card with $13.5k in CL, and this past year I've opened 4 other accounts, maybe that had something to do with it?
But nonetheless, I'm very excited and I can't wait to get it in the mail. Not sure if I'm going to be able to pay the $550 annual fee, but since I got an offer for a $0 intro fee I thought I'd apply for the heck of it.

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX Platinum

Congrats.....hopefully you will be able to recoup the rewards to offset the $550 AF. 

Message 2 of 16
DangerNoodle
New Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:

Congrats.....hopefully you will be able to recoup the rewards to offset the $550 AF. 

Yes haha. I highly doubt I'm going to be able to afford that, I'll probably close the account next year depending on how it goes.

Biggest reason I applied is because it's a metal card, and I honestly thought there would be no way in hell I'd get approved.

Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Enjoy the card. It's a great if you can utilize most of the benefits, would be more than worth the annual fee. With the annual credits for Uber and airline fees, you are seeing $150 equivalent. Then comes the hotel elite memberships and some others.

Charge cards also have lower approval requirements than Amex credit cards.

Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats but wow that say's alot. Amex willing to approve an 18 year old with 15K income?
Message 5 of 16
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:
Congrats but wow that say's alot. Amex willing to approve an 18 year old with 15K income?

Yes. My college kid got the invite in the mail. 

Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex is pushing very very hard to recoup the millennial crowd after they flocked to the CSR.

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats. 👋 Hey Amex, send me a $0 intro fee invite, I’m a millennial too. Lol.
Message 8 of 16
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Congrats. Just becareful apping for cards for the heck of it or without knowing if it works for you or if you can afford the AF.That could lead to bad credit decisions down the road.
Message 9 of 16
DangerNoodle
New Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:
Congrats. 👋 Hey Amex, send me a $0 intro fee invite, I’m a millennial too. Lol.

Haha if you're actually interested here is the link:

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/credit-cards/card-application/apply/partner/personal-card/apf/platinum-card-from-american-express/ep-apf-002#/

Edit (4/29/18): You're technically supposed to be a client with Ameriprise Financial to be allowed to have the card, but I've read from several sources that this policy isn't enforced. Take that with a grain of salt, as Amex is known to spontaneously change their policies and may terminate your account at any time. If you really want the free first year and plan to keep the card after, I suggest you do what I did and apply for an Ameriprise credit card.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.