Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Pre-qual. Should I app?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX Pre-qual. Should I app?

Howdy all,

Got a mailer today and checked the AMEX pre-qual link.  I've checked this before and had no offers, but today I saw this.

https://i.imgsafe.org/625ca54.png

The offer says "We have found the following pre-qualified Card offers for you." not recommended, so I believe I will have a good chance of getting them should I app.

Platinum 

100,000 points after $3k spend in 3 months

$450 annual

Platinum Rewards Gold

50,000 points after $1k spend in 3 months

$195 annual, waived first year

EveryDay Credit Card (not interested)

25,000 points after $2k spend in 3 months

I was planning on apping for an AMEX charge card (PRG or Platinum) in June, but was suprised by this offer.  Now I'm wondering, should I just app now?  I got approved for a CSP in January, $16k CLI.  Hard pull in Dec 2015 for that card.  $6k Freedom which I've held for 17mo now, and $2.7k CLI Citi DoubleCash which I've held for about 10mo.  

My FICO history (as reported by my DoubleCash) is Nov: 781, Dec: 727, Jan: 738, Feb: 770.  Balance on the DoubleCash < 1%, balance on the Freedom $0, balance on the CSP < 1% (just paid down at 3%).  

The December and January hit is from the HP, see a thread about that here.  A few questions...

1. If I don't take this offer now, will it disappear?  IE if I re-check in June, should my FICO remain the same, will I recieve the same 100,000 and 50,000 offers?  Or are they great offers which I should jump on now.  
  2. Platinum vs PRG?  I know this is an oft-mentioned battle.  Both spends are achievable ($3k/3mo and $1k/3mo).  I'm inclinded to take the Platinum for the 100,000 miles, but don't like the $450 annual and prefer the benefits of the PRG.  
  3. Should I choose the Platinum and get the 100,000 points, can I downgrade to PRG and keep the points + get the 1yr waived fee?  Any credit hit for doing something like this?
  4. Should I wait for my DoubleCash statement to post (April 3), pay it, then app when only my CSP has a balance (will be less than 1% util still on the CSP).

Lots of questions and I appreciate any and all of your input here.  June will be 6mo from the hard pull so that sounds beneficial for an app.  But I'm not sure the offers will be there at this point.  I'm assuming my FICO will rise from now to then, but I'm not sure what difference it will make.  Thanks!!

EDIT: Not that it exactly matters but 793 TU and 793 EQ as of Mar. 21 accroding to CreditKarma.com

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX Pre-qual. Should I app?

These are solid offers.  Go for it and let us know the results.

Message 2 of 20
redpat
Senior Contributor

Take PRG and Plat.

Apply later for EDP and then close one of the Charges before the next AF, or both and move MR to EDP.

150K for 4k spend is a great deal and net cost after airline credit is $345, I think.

If you use the Plat right you can get more benefit than the cost of $345.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 3 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply both of you.  Can't work out how to "quote" you so apologies for not doing so.

Yes-Its-Me, thanks for the confidence boost.

Redpat, If I app for both does that result in two HP's or do they share one?  Do I litterally click "Apply Now" on that form for one of them, then go back and click "Apply Now" for the other?  Apply for Plat, presumed approval, then apply for PRG?  Will the offers remain?  Any order I should do the two in?  Will my future credit hurt from having 2 extra accounts open?  Sorry for so many questions...you've opened a whole new can of worms!

Message 4 of 20
redpat
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the reply both of you.  Can't work out how to "quote" you so apologies for not doing so.

Redpat, If I app for both does that result in two HP's or do they share one?  Do I litterally click "Apply Now" on that form for one of them, then go back and click "Apply Now" for the other?  Apply for Plat, presumed approval, then apply for PRG?  Will the offers remain?  Any order I should do the two in?  Will my future credit hurt from having 2 extra accounts open?  Sorry for so many questions...you've opened a whole new can of worms!

Same HP.

Apply for Plat first then PRG it should still be there, IMO.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 5 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@redpat wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Same HP.

Worked out the quote button...

Plat then PRG - okay.  Thoughts on this: wait for DoubleCash statement to post (April 03) then app.  I have three open cards, two have a < 1% balance.  On April 03 only the CSP will have a balance (still < 1%).  Will this be beneficial in any way?  Is a reported 770 FICO from Feb, 793 TU & 793 EQ good enough for Plat?  Mind you my oldest card is my Freedom at 17mo and my CSP was opened just 3mo ago.

Message 6 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@redpat wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Same HP.

Getting 2 cards with the same hardpull with Amex is a YMMV thing.  Some people have gotten 2 inquiries for 2 cards done apart.

Message 7 of 20
redpat
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@redpat wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Same HP.

Getting 2 cards with the same hardpull with Amex is a YMMV thing.  Some people have gotten 2 inquiries for 2 cards done apart.

Good point.  I could be two.  Can't assume it won't be.

Message 8 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@redpat wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@redpat wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Same HP.

Good point.  I could be two.  Can't assume it won't be.

Yikes - would rather not chance two HP's...right?

Message 9 of 20
redpat
Senior Contributor

For 50K I would.  That's not a bad payday for a HP, if another is required, it may not be.

But take the 100k first, that's a no brainer.

I only have 50k offer on business gold rewards gold right now, I want the PRG offer.

Also they would love to have your $450 AF, lol.

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.