Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX + more after BK!

tag
lizabeth
Contributor

AMEX + more after BK!

Just to give hope to others who went through ch 7 BK. (note: zero lates in 4 years with cap one credit cards & cap one auto loan)

April 2016 app spree this past weekend with scores in the 660-680's, 5 years discharged. 

Discover - DENIED 
Barclays Ring - approved $5,000 
Capital One Quiksilver Rewards - approved $3,000
Capital One Venture One- processing  (being manually reviewed due to double app)
AMEX Everyday - approved instantly $500 (what?)
AMEX Blue Cash - approved $5,000  (yes!!) (after being manually reviewed due to double app)

+ Auto Loan 3 weeks old with Teachers Credit Union - 4% APR! (my previous capital one auto loan opened shortly after BK was 11%!)

I am DONE for many years and look forward to gardening!  

p.s.

Can anyone tell me why AMEX gave me such a puny $500 limit on the Everyday card, and just 3 days later $5,000 on the Blue Cash??? Any ideas? I don't plan to close that card but I was stunned when I saw such a small opening credit line. 

25 REPLIES 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX + more after BK!

Nice. Conrats

Message 2 of 26
lizabeth
Contributor

thanks! excited to have a good set of cards to move forward with. I wouldn't wish the circumstances of BK on anyone (I was young and dumb) but it def jump started the desire to learn how to better manage credit. so ecstatic to be heading toward 700's! 

Message 3 of 26
wachme
Contributor

I concur with your last statement. I'm 7+ years removed and I've been clawing my way back ever since. My SL with Amex was pretty favorable as my scores were a bit higher than yours at the time. However, I know for a fact Amex will grow with you as you treat them right and continue to enhance your overall credit. I pretty much doubled my CL with them in one shot. Keep at it and congrats!
Message 4 of 26
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Congrats on all of the approvals!

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 5 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats!  Nicely done! Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 26
alextercero
Super Contributor

Congrats

Current Credit Cards

Currently rebuilding as of (May 2021)

Current Fico Scores 8/9: (April 2024)

Credit Age:

Inquiries:

Message 7 of 26
TXinandout
Frequent Contributor

Well done!

BK Discharged 06/02/2016 SCORES AROUND 475

Current scores:
EXP-667
EQ-654
TU-653
Message 8 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just curious. 

Has anyone here who's been approved by Amex, post discharged BK 7 or 13, burned Amex in your proceedings?

thanks

Message 9 of 26
lizabeth
Contributor

This is my first time with AMEX so I cannot shed light. However I did sadly burn Discover in my bk and they just burned me with a denial. 

Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.