Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX + more after BK!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX + more after BK!

congrats! when was your BK discharge? Did you burn amex?

Message 11 of 26
lizabeth
Contributor

Thanks! My BK discharged in 2011, so I'm 5 years in and I did not have Amex prior to BK.
Message 12 of 26
aussiesareforever
Established Contributor

Congrats. Love to read happy BK stories.

I was also young and stupid but it did spur me towards being a lot more financially responsible.

BK in January 2008---Barclay's Apple Financing Card ($10,000) --- Capital One Quicksilver ($13,000)--- Platinum Delta Skymiles ($35,000) --- GEMB CareCredit ($10,000) --- AUFCU ($10000)---Discover IT ($33,000)

Experian 835 Transunion 828-- August 2018
Message 13 of 26
Andy77
Valued Contributor

Congrats !!  

How old was your ch 7 bk tradeline when you got approved for the Amex?

Mine was about 6 yrs old when they denied me, twice

It is now 7 years old...if you got approved when yours was 7 years old, I might wait until 7.5 and try again

Message 14 of 26
lizabeth
Contributor

I was 5 years into my discharged BK when I went for Amex and was approved. I had flawless credit history since BK and had an auto loan w/capital one and two credit cards w/capital one within those 5 years that were in good standing. I'm clueless as to why they approve some and deny others but it seems it wasn't due to the length of time out of a BK. Smiley Happy

Message 15 of 26
Andy77
Valued Contributor

Yes that is a mystery to me, too.  So at 5 years out you did still have all the negative accounts on your CR, as I did

I just got off the phone from them, the denial reasons the lady read me were:

-Judgement or collection on file (I had the ch 7 bk tradeline and all my negative accounts associated when I applied, like you did)

-Length of time accounts have been established (my oldest account was 6 years old)..opened two months after bk discharge

-Balances in relation to credit limits too high (this I am going to fix)

None the less Congrats to you...this gives me a lot of hope to reapply again.

Message 16 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex starting lines were based on minimum starting product limit for Amex. All of the non reserve/preferred limits can go as low as $500. Preferred is $5000+ similar to visa signature, can't get one under.

Message 17 of 26
northface28
Established Contributor

I'm surprised you didn't get a Discover but got not 1 but 2 Amex? Wow, nice job.
BK Discharged 9/11

Cap1 Quiksilver Visa Signature $41k| Discover IT $24k| Barclays Uber VISA $16.2k|BOA Cash Rewards $8.4k| BOA BBR $6k|AMEX Cash Magnet $12.8k|AMEX BCP $16.6k|Huntington Voice $5.5k|Citi Double Cash $5.7k| US Bank Cash+ $6.5k
Message 18 of 26
nrm
Frequent Contributor

Congrats, OP!
Message 19 of 26
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

Amex after bk, wow!!

Congrats!

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 20 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.