cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX x2 by mistake but happy!!

Auto Loans for ANY Credit Situation. Immediate Response.
Advertiser disclosure
Valued Member

AMEX x2 by mistake but happy!!

So funny yet really happy great story. Let's start from the beginning ...

I received notice that one of my favorite cards, my Travelocity AMEX from Barclays CL $6500, was going to be discontinued and turn into a Barclay's World Card. That's fine overall and many feel the Barclay's World card is awesome but 99% of the reason I had this Travelocity card was because of the AMEX affiliation and thus the ability to use it at Costco! Seriously, 95% of my use on this card is from Costco as they only take AMEX and since I had a BK in 2005 with AMEX being burned, I was not confident I'd get approved, actually knew I would not so went backdoor to get this Travelocity AMEX from the more kinder Barclays and did!! 

Well now with Travelocity AMEX being no longer I had to get another AMEX to use at Costco so after reading up on this board decided that the AMEX EveryDay card was my best shot. I nervously applied and I get to the last page and got a technical time out error. So I decide to start over and this time get to the final page but get the 7-10 day message. Really bummed. So I then tried to get what I believed was a charge card since some had said that was easy so applied for the Delta Gold AMEX card, well I get the 7-10 day message too.

Yes, I've now learned that COSTCO was going to stop AMEX but take VISA which I have and that the Delta Gold Card is not a charge card but one of their credit cards too.

Anyways, I was 0 for 2 in my AMEX request and was researching trying to do some recon. Got the website to check application status and did and guess what? I see 3 applications?! What?! I only applied for the 2 cards right? Wrong. Apparently despite my screen indicating a technical glitch, the first time I applied for the AMEX ED card did go through and yes that one was approved!!! YES!!! So I realize the 7-10 day message the second time I applied was likely because I applied for the exact same card twice in like 5 minutes. So I call the next morning and explain and the rep is happy to simply delete/cancel the second application. I learn though the AMEX ED credit line is a measly $1000 so I'm on this board asking about how I can try to increase the CL. All the while, I had given up on the Delta Gold AMEX card but this same rep told me to call in again in 5 to 7 days to maybe do a recon on it. I was like "I'll just wait for the denial letter." 

About a week passes and I get the physical AMEX ED card. I'm happy with it and am about to try a CLI at opening but I decide to just go check the application status page again and WOW .... I got approved for the Delta Gold AMEX card!!! It went through! I'm happy and figure well between the 2 cards, I'll probably be fine and won't need that CLI. So finally the Delta Gold AMEX arrives and to my pleasant shock it came with a 10K credit line!!! I'm totally stoked! 

So I'm thrilled to be back in the true AMEX family! I am a little confused though how the ED card is $1K and the Delta Gold is $10K but I'm not complaining. Also, this is the craziest part  ..... on the Delta Gold card and the ED card, it says I've been a member of American Express since .... 1997. It realized I had cards before my BK and despite being burned it recognizes when I first got an AMEX. Is that crazy?? 

Current Score: EQUIFAX 706
Current Score: EXPERIAN 712
Current Score: TRANS UNION 722
BK in 10/2005

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Re: AMEX x2 by mistake but happy!!

Congrats OP! Awesome story too.
Message 2 of 7
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Very nice, congrats on your success !!

Message 3 of 7
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

on the Delta Gold card and the ED card, it says I've been a member of American Express since .... 1997. It realized I had cards before my BK and despite being burned it recognizes when I first got an AMEX. Is that crazy??

And they also used to report that to the credit bureaus. Unfortunately, they no longer do. Congrats on the approvals!

Message 4 of 7
Highlighted
Contributor

Congrats!

Message 5 of 7
Highlighted
Super Contributor

Congrats

EX08 658 EQ08 664 TU08 672 Total Credit Line: 63,550Utilization: 19.4%Inquiries: EQ8 EX11 TU11
Message 6 of 7
Highlighted
Established Contributor

Congrats!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.