Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX x2 by mistake but happy!!

tag
ultimatefighter
Valued Member

AMEX x2 by mistake but happy!!

So funny yet really happy great story. Let's start from the beginning ...

I received notice that one of my favorite cards, my Travelocity AMEX from Barclays CL $6500, was going to be discontinued and turn into a Barclay's World Card. That's fine overall and many feel the Barclay's World card is awesome but 99% of the reason I had this Travelocity card was because of the AMEX affiliation and thus the ability to use it at Costco! Seriously, 95% of my use on this card is from Costco as they only take AMEX and since I had a BK in 2005 with AMEX being burned, I was not confident I'd get approved, actually knew I would not so went backdoor to get this Travelocity AMEX from the more kinder Barclays and did!! 

Well now with Travelocity AMEX being no longer I had to get another AMEX to use at Costco so after reading up on this board decided that the AMEX EveryDay card was my best shot. I nervously applied and I get to the last page and got a technical time out error. So I decide to start over and this time get to the final page but get the 7-10 day message. Really bummed. So I then tried to get what I believed was a charge card since some had said that was easy so applied for the Delta Gold AMEX card, well I get the 7-10 day message too.

Yes, I've now learned that COSTCO was going to stop AMEX but take VISA which I have and that the Delta Gold Card is not a charge card but one of their credit cards too.

Anyways, I was 0 for 2 in my AMEX request and was researching trying to do some recon. Got the website to check application status and did and guess what? I see 3 applications?! What?! I only applied for the 2 cards right? Wrong. Apparently despite my screen indicating a technical glitch, the first time I applied for the AMEX ED card did go through and yes that one was approved!!! YES!!! So I realize the 7-10 day message the second time I applied was likely because I applied for the exact same card twice in like 5 minutes. So I call the next morning and explain and the rep is happy to simply delete/cancel the second application. I learn though the AMEX ED credit line is a measly $1000 so I'm on this board asking about how I can try to increase the CL. All the while, I had given up on the Delta Gold AMEX card but this same rep told me to call in again in 5 to 7 days to maybe do a recon on it. I was like "I'll just wait for the denial letter." 

About a week passes and I get the physical AMEX ED card. I'm happy with it and am about to try a CLI at opening but I decide to just go check the application status page again and WOW .... I got approved for the Delta Gold AMEX card!!! It went through! I'm happy and figure well between the 2 cards, I'll probably be fine and won't need that CLI. So finally the Delta Gold AMEX arrives and to my pleasant shock it came with a 10K credit line!!! I'm totally stoked! 

So I'm thrilled to be back in the true AMEX family! I am a little confused though how the ED card is $1K and the Delta Gold is $10K but I'm not complaining. Also, this is the craziest part  ..... on the Delta Gold card and the ED card, it says I've been a member of American Express since .... 1997. It realized I had cards before my BK and despite being burned it recognizes when I first got an AMEX. Is that crazy?? 

Current Score: EQUIFAX 706
Current Score: EXPERIAN 712
Current Score: TRANS UNION 722
BK in 10/2005

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX x2 by mistake but happy!!

Congrats OP! Awesome story too.
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Very nice, congrats on your success !!

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

on the Delta Gold card and the ED card, it says I've been a member of American Express since .... 1997. It realized I had cards before my BK and despite being burned it recognizes when I first got an AMEX. Is that crazy??

And they also used to report that to the credit bureaus. Unfortunately, they no longer do. Congrats on the approvals!

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats!

Message 5 of 7
alextercero
Super Contributor

Congrats

Current Credit Cards

Currently rebuilding as of (May 2021)

Current Fico Scores 8/9: (April 2024)

Credit Age:

Inquiries:

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.