Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX

tag
loyalsudz
Regular Contributor

AMEX

Approved like 5 minutes ago! I have some baddies like foreclosure from early 2010, delinquents from before 2010 when I was laid off.  I paid off all my debts mostly student loans about a year ago using Dave Ramsey but the mytmmo forum folks would probably not understand opening new credit so I thought I would get some advice and celebrate over here.  I just am so happy because I was getting dings on CR because of low credit limits.   I started traveling for my job recently so this is going to be a big help! 

Update: I was approved for Amex Platinum 9/9/2016. This is posted on page 2.   

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX

Awesome! Which card did you get? What is the credit limit?

We as a family love Dave Ramsey. We follow him. We also started applying for credit cards to use to pay bills, gas and groceries. We don't spend a lot. And then pay it off at the end of the month. We have racked up 200.00 in rewards alone in one month. I will cash it out and get a check for it as well. 

My advice: Pay off cards if you can or unless it's interest free up until that time, then pay it all. Don't pay interest or else it won't be worth the rewards. Don't rack up charges too fast, it will be hard to pay off. Pace yourself. A little at a time and stay discipline. 
For us with 4 credit cards that doesn't mean free money. It's money that needs to be paid back. We keep this in mind when spending on anything. 

Stay on a budget even with a credit card. We use YNAB (google it) to budget and not overspend. We want a big savings account not tons of debt. Hope that helps! 

Message 2 of 20
loyalsudz
Regular Contributor

So it is the basic AMEX green card and from what they said, there is no preset monthly limit. Also, I love that you and your family love Dave Ramsey.  I feel like I have found a kindred spirit.  Great advice! I definitely pay in full monthly and avoid interest.  I have my fully funded emergency fund and a traveling sinking fund from my reimbursements.

Message 3 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

HI,  I am so happy for you. I too had some credit problems and a low credit score.  I was working on it and in 2013, I was offered the AMEX Gold card and was accepted.  Yeah!  I was so excited.  I enjoyed the last 2 years purchasing and paying it on time.  I just got approved and accepted to go platium yesterday!!!  I am moving on up. 

@loyalsudz wrote:

So it is the basic AMEX green card and from what they said, there is no preset monthly limit. Also, I love that you and your family love Dave Ramsey.  I feel like I have found a kindred spirit.  Great advice! I definitely pay in full monthly and avoid interest.  I have my fully funded emergency fund and a traveling sinking fund from my reimbursements.

Message 4 of 20
loyalsudz
Regular Contributor

HI,  I am so happy for you. I too had some credit problems and a low credit score.  I was working on it and in 2013, I was offered the AMEX Gold card and was accepted.  Yeah!  I was so excited.  I enjoyed the last 2 years purchasing and paying it on time.  I just got approved and accepted to go platium yesterday!!!  I am moving on up. 

@loyalsudz wrote:

Congratulations!  I hope to have those same offers in due time.  This gives me hope!  Thank you!

Message 5 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good job and congrats..

Message 6 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@loyalsudz wrote:

Approved like 5 minutes ago! I have some baddies like foreclosure from early 2010, delinquents from before 2010 when I was laid off.  I paid off all my debts mostly student loans about a year ago using Dave Ramsey but the mytmmo forum folks would probably not understand opening new credit so I thought I would get some advice and celebrate over here.  I just am so happy because I was getting dings on CR because of low credit limits.   I started traveling for my job recently so this is going to be a big help! 

Wow, congratulations - that's so wonderful! My sister and her husband love Dave and swear by him.

Keep up the good work. Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 20
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Grats on your Amx approval Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 20
uswala
Senior Contributor

Congrats on the approval!

Message 9 of 20
Berk
Established Contributor

@loyalsudz wrote:

Just remember - you have a charge card and not a credit card. You really have no choice in the matter but to pay the entire balance off monthly. No pre set spend limit means just that. It does not mean that there is not a cap on how much you can put on the card in any given month. Also, it can vary from month to month, week to week, day to day depending on the Amex algorithm.

You have to ask "Would Dave really approve of me having a charge/credit card to begin with?"

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.