cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

APP SPREE MOSTLT APPROVED

tag
Chris679
Established Contributor

Re: 12:01 tonight I'm Applying have a question?

Apply for Discover and Cap One and then lay low for a year. You have a clean slate to build on don't go digging yourself in a hole with a bunch of new accounts and inquiries.
Message 10 of 54
Interestedincredit
Established Member

09 Lexi as far as the AMEX goes I like travel rewards
Message 11 of 54
Interestedincredit
Established Member

And thank you all for your feedback
Message 12 of 54
efranklin23
Valued Contributor

@Interestedincredit wrote:
After reading everyone's advice I put together a list of credit cards I would like to apply for. Please let me know if you think I will be approved or denied so I can cross that one off my list recap I'm turning 18 have established credit from being an authorized user on my dad's cards he currently is carrying some balances.

Here's my list:
(1) discover IT for students
(2) capital one journey for students
(3) citi simplicity
(4) NFCU cash rewards (still have to join)
(5) lowes store card
(6) sole type of American Express what do you guys recommend? Charge or revolver and what kind?

And this is just a list I made up I'm probably not applying for all these maybe 4 tops

I would try to get these 2 cards and build up as you need credit. All the other cards will fall in place once these cards are obtained. And as someone earlier, I don't see the point of you apping for a Cap1 Card when it pulls all 3 CB. Citi Simplicity should be used in the future when you have BT from other Credit Card Balances (I hope you're not trying to juggle debt around at this young age!!!). And as far as AMEX is concerned, I don't see the reason for having an AMEX at this point if you're very young.

You should focus on building credit history, not how many top cards you can obtain. Stick to 2 and build up lovely.  

AMEX BCE (30K), DISCOVER IT (29.5K), NFCU CASH REWARDS (25K), BOA TRAVEL REWARDS (15K), USAA VISA (13K), CHASE SAPPHIRE RESERVE (13K), COMMENCE MASTERCARD (7.5K), CHASE FREEDOM (7K), CHASE FREEDOM (7K), TFCU CC (2.5K), TARGET REDCARD (900)
Message 13 of 54
wHiTeSoL
Valued Contributor

@efranklin23 wrote:

After reading everyone's advice I put together a list of credit cards I would like to apply for. Please let me know if you think I will be approved or denied so I can cross that one off my list recap I'm turning 18 have established credit from being an authorized user on my dad's cards he currently is carrying some balances.

Here's my list:
(3) citi simplicity
(5) lowes store card
(6) sole type of American Express what do you guys recommend? Charge or revolver and what kind?

And this is just a list I made up I'm probably not applying for all these maybe 4 tops

I would try to get these 2 cards and build up as you need credit. All the other cards will fall in place once these cards are obtained. And as someone earlier, I don't see the point of you apping for a Cap1 Card when it pulls all 3 CB. Citi Simplicity should be used in the future when you have BT from other Credit Card Balances (I hope you're not trying to juggle debt around at this young age!!!). And as far as AMEX is concerned, I don't see the reason for having an AMEX at this point if you're very young.

You should focus on building credit history, not how many top cards you can obtain. Stick to 2 and build up lovely.  

+1 franklin has the right idea, there are some you should scratch right away though

Here's my list:
(1) discover IT for students Good card for you, get it.
(2) capital one journey for students only good as a replacement for above if not approved, it's either not both
(3) citi simplicity scratch, a balance transfer card with no rewards is useless to you
(4) NFCU cash rewards (still have to join) Absolutly, if you qualify this should be first priority IMO
(5) lowes store card scratch, unless you need to remodel a home in the next 6 months.
(6) sole type of American Express what do you guys recommend? Charge or revolver and what kind? none, if you're dead set on getting one it's IMO it's pretty obvious: PRG. Waived first year AF since you still dont know if it's right for you, the best travel rewards from amex, and should be easier to get as a charge card. 

Message 14 of 54
Exonumist
Established Contributor

Here's my list:
(3) citi simplicity
(5) lowes store card

No need to rush on trying to get these all at once. Your just going to end up with a bunch of inquiries for two years.

(1) discover IT for students Great card just make sure you are enrolled at a college before applying.
(2) capital one journey for students Waste of THREE hard pulls. They pull all three reports and Cap1 generally has a subpar reputation. It's not going to grow.
(3) citi simplicity Waste of a hard pull. Why do you want this card?
(4) NFCU cash rewards (still have to join) ABSOLUTELY APPLY! If you can become a member join now and apply. Seriously. This should be your top priority.
(5) lowes store card Do you own a house? Why do you want this card? If it's just because it's GE check out the Paypal Extras MC.
(6) sole type of American Express what do you guys recommend? Charge or revolver and what kind? I would wait six months to a year after getting a card. Then app.

Message 15 of 54
Interestedincredit
Established Member

Ok thanks by the way how hard is the Amex PRG to get... That's the gold card right?
Message 16 of 54
Bury

Really do not recommend applying for AMEX until after 1 year of having your own card with payment history.  I was in a very similar situation to you and they will almost certainly decline you for a revolver with no non-AU CH.  They declined me and was just a waste of a HP.  Not sure about Charge cards but with your posted income I dont see the PRG or the Green being worth it to you.  Get the NFCU card and the discover it and garden for a while.  No reason at all to rush into opening all these accounts at your age.

Gardening until 2015 - Last app 2/10/2014

Goal Score: 780+

Wallet - American Express BCE | Discover It Student | Citi Forward Student | Capital One Secured Platinum MC (Annual Fee Waived)

Message 17 of 54
Interestedincredit
Established Member

ok thanks for the advice, less than 20 miniutes until I can apply.  Ill keep you guys posted with my results.  Im gonna join NFCU too

Message 18 of 54
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

ok thanks for the advice, less than 20 miniutes until I can apply.  Ill keep you guys posted with my results.  Im gonna join NFCU too

Well, good luck OP.  Keep us posted w/ your results, i would love to find out what you'd actually applied and the results. 

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 19 of 54
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.