cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

APPROVED: United MileagePlus Explorer & AMEX Cash Magnet!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

APPROVED: United MileagePlus Explorer & AMEX Cash Magnet!

Firstly, HELLO! *waves*

I'm new to the forums.I just wanted to share my recent approvals, if that's okay. My first approval has a very strange element to it, so buckle up. Smiley Very Happy

Back in July, I applied for the United MileagePlus Explorer card from Chase. I figured that, since I had been a Chase customer for over 5 years that I should branch out into their credit cards. I have fraud alerts on my credit reports due to an identity theft situation, so that somewhat hindered the application process, as they had to verify my identity. Also, in between time, I moved, so there were issues with my address; I provided my old address since I was still living there at the time of my application and knew that my mail would be forwarded. Anyhoo, when I applied, I received a message that I would receive a letter within 7-10 business days. I figured that it was a denial because, although I have worked dligently to improve my credit over the last few years and have been successful in being approved for other credit cards (Capital One Platinum MasterCard and (shudder) a Fortiva MasterCard), perhaps my score was just not high enough (it was around 651 at the time). The letter was sent to my old address, but it was eventually forwarded to my new one, and it had directions for me to call a toll-free number and provide the reference code printed in the letter to establish my identity. I followed the instructions, and the agent submitted my application. Lo and behold, I was approved for $9600! This is the highest credit limit I've ever had! I was super excited, and the agent informed me that I would receive my card in 3-5 business days. Cool. However, when I asked if it could be sent to my NEW address, I was told that it could not. I conceded and thought, "no worries," as all of my mail is being forwarded anyway.

Eight days went by, and no card. HUH? So, I called to find out what was happening, and I was informed that the card was mailed out on 08/01/2018. I said that I would give it another day, and that afternoon, serendipitously, my card was delivered. I purchased some things for my new place. However, I kept getting fraud alerts from Chase nearly every time I made a purchase. Eventually, my card was shut down, and no one could tell me why. I was devastated. I was then told that I would receive a letter stating exactly why my account was closed. The letter stated the following reasons:

• RAPID INCREASE IN REVOLVING BALANCES
  • BALANCES ON ACCOUNTS ARE TOO HIGH COMPARED TO CREDIT LIMITS

While I had made several large purchases, I still found this to be strange. After researching Chase shutdowns online - including in this forum - I called the reconsideration line, and informed them that I had just moved, that the purchases I made were going toward my new place, and that the balance would be paid, in full, on 09/07/2018 with my stipend from school (I am a graduate student). The agent submitted my information and told me that I would receive a call within 10 business days (by 09/04/2018). I received a call on 08/31/2018 from Chase's Fraud Department, and was informed that my account would be reinstated, and that the actual reason for the shutdown was that they thought that I was abusing the card to get the introductory bonus or whatever and then would leave the balance hanging; they have a term for it, but it escapes me - maybe one of you can help me out? I told them that I have no intention of doing that, as (a) I fly United frequently, as I travel home to Chicago once a quarter and I have the occasional sojourn with my friends (most recently, Los Angeles; I had never been before, and it was awesome!); (b) unlike when I was fresh into college 20 years ago, I am not irresponsible with credit; and (c) I plan to purchase a home, and this card, along with my others, will be instrumental in achieving my goal. At any rate, they told me that I could begin using my card again within 24 hours if I still had it (I did), and that they would send me a letter to confirm that the account was reopened. I did, indeed, receive that letter, and it was a letter of apology for closing my account in error. So...*whew*...that's that story. Now, I mainly just use the card for Uber to work and class, and the occasional lunch.

That was the most harrowing three weeks of my LIFE!

In between time, my EX score rose to 676. My EQ score is currently 679, but it has not reflected my recent full payment on my Fortiva account, and TransUnion currently reads 639 (it also has not reflected the aforementioned payment).
Side note: Does anyone know why TU always reads much lower than EX and EQ? My goal is to have at least 700-710 across the board by my 40th birthday in Februrary.

Today, while reviewing my credit report and reading about approval odds for some cards, someone mentioned that one can determine if they prequalify for offers with AMEX. I have never had an AMEX card, and I have coveted them for years. So, I decided to, as the youngsters say, "shoot my shot" and see what I prequalified for. Well, I had 2 prequalified offers: the AMEX Cash Magnet card and the AMEX Green card. I knew better than to apply for the AMEX Green card, as I did not want to put myself in a position to be unable to pay the full balance off every month. Plus, charge cards are dead, right? Smiley Very Happy 

Anyway, I applied for the AMEX Cash Magnet card and, after verifying my identity (they sent me a unique passcode via text that I had to input), I was approved for $2000! While that's not a high limit, I am appreciative for it, as I was fully expecting something to go awry and to be denied. So now, I have an entree into the AMEX world.

I will give myself another year or two before I apply for anymore credit cards. In the meantime, I will work with what I have:

Capital One Platinum MasterCard: $500 CL (increased from $300)
Fortiva MasterCard: $1529 CL (increased from $1500)
United MileagePlus Explorer: $9600 CL
AMEX Cash Magnet: $2000 CL

Thanks for reading! Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: APPROVED: United MileagePlus Explorer & AMEX Cash Magnet!

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for reading! 

Thanks for writing -- a great story and with a happy ending.

And Congrats! on your two approvals. That's a great SL w/Chase. 

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, James! Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 12
Medic981
Valued Contributor

Your FICO credit scores are not just numbers, it’s a skill.
Message 4 of 12
stephenskd
New Contributor

congrats!!!

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks! 😁
Message 6 of 12
19eighty5
Senior Contributor

Thank you for sharing your story with us. Congratulations on your new cards!!

FICO 8 (Feb 2018):EX- 519, TU- 530, EQ- 545
FICO 8 (Sept 2022):EX- 706, TU- 685, EQ- 684
What's in my wallet:

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great Story!! Congrats on the approvalsSmiley Happy

Message 8 of 12
xaximus
Valued Contributor

Congrats on your approvals and the whole Chase debacle would have me pulling my hair. Glad it worked out for you!

Scores - All bureaus 770 +
TCL - Est. $410K
Message 9 of 12
goal_digger
Regular Contributor

Awesome story and great approvals. Congrats! 

In order of approval...
Fico Scores: EX 721 | EQ 723 | TU 719
Goals: Reduce util, obtain soft-pull CLIs and 720 across the board.
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.