cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

APPROVED for Walmart store card with 618 TU, recent-ish baddies!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

APPROVED for Walmart store card with 618 TU, recent-ish baddies!

Yeah, after my approval for the Overstock card a few weeks ago, I honestly thought I'd cool my heels and wait a few months before applying for anything else. But something told me that I had a shot at Walmart right now. And I really, really wanted Walmart. (I knew I had no shot at the Walmart MC, I was aiming for the store card.)

Behold! Behold my joy!Behold! Behold my joy!

I like my Overstock card and there's plenty of good stuff I can find there, but I have to look for something to buy. With Walmart, I just get what I would be getting anyway. That's the big benefit. And I get cash back!

DATA POINTS:

• FICO 8 TU: 618
  • Low income (under $20,000)
  • Recent 90-day late (TU says it's 5 months old)
  • 90% utilization on my existing debt. Not insignificant debt (but it was a LOT worse a few months ago). And I'm able to keep up with the monthly payments fine.
  • Recent settlement on one of my credit cards (not a charge-off, but it's on the report as "settled for less than full balance")
  • $200 credit limit

I applied for the Walmart card a few months ago (when my scores were in the mid-500s) and was very disappointed with rejection. I really, really wanted this card. This is the one I can use day-to-day, for both gas and groceries. So imagine my happiness today! Cat Happy

I wish the limit were higher, but hopefully, in time, I'll get some CLIs. I'm just so glad to be in! I hope that my story of triumph is encouraging to others in my same lowly credit position! What a difference a few months can make!

Now this time, I really hope I will garden at least until the Spring. My last two applications bore fruit so they weren't wasted inquiries, but I don't want to push my luck. If I feel the urge again, I'll probably try for the Amazon store card, but I think it would be prudent to wait a few months for that. I don't want to go app-crazy!

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: APPROVED for Walmart store card with 618 TU, recent-ish baddies!

Congratulations on your approval. Your SL may just be a temp limit until you receive your card...at least that how it was for me. 

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Congratulations on your approval. Your SL may just be a temp limit until you receive your card...at least that how it was for me. 

Thanks! I hope that will apply for me too! If not, I can live with the $200 limit for a while. I'll just have to do frequent payments on my balance throughout the month.

Message 3 of 14
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

CongratsSmiley Happy Thats actually impressive. I think i got rejected my first time and i know i was over 650 when i began my rebuild. I started out at a buck fiddySmiley Wink my Wally card now sits at 15kSmiley Wink. On a low income lol. I really should reduce this baby. Wish i could toss you someSmiley Wink. It will grow for sure . Use it and pay . Most likely you will get auto luv first so dont try to hard for cli right now. Try in 6 months to establish some history, score growth and potential for auto luvSmiley Happy
Message 4 of 14
chhull00
Frequent Contributor

Congratulations mate on your approval, keep up the good work, it will grow like a weedSmiley LOLCongratulations_misti.gif

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
CongratsSmiley Happy Thats actually impressive. I think i got rejected my first time and i know i was over 650 when i began my rebuild. I started out at a buck fiddySmiley Wink my Wally card now sits at 15kSmiley Wink. On a low income lol. I really should reduce this baby. Wish i could toss you someSmiley Wink. It will grow for sure . Use it and pay . Most likely you will get auto luv first so dont try to hard for cli right now. Try in 6 months to establish some history, score growth and potential for auto luvSmiley Happy

Thank you for all this advice. I'm planning on using it every time I go to Walmart, which is usually at least a time or two a week. I'll also try to get my gas at Walmart (I do when I think of it, but I'm going to make a point of it now!). 

I wasn't quite sure what to do in the future about CLIs. I've never asked for one, ever. I figured I'd wait at least 3 months, but with my credit history, 6 does sound sensible. My credit score should be going up and my debt should be going down (hopefully paid off completely sometime this year) so that's going to help. I will try to wait for an auto CLI. Hopefully, it'll happen as my score goes up!

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@chhull00 wrote:

Congratulations mate on your approval, keep up the good work, it will grow like a weedSmiley LOL

Thanks! That's what I'm hoping too!

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on approval !!!!

Message 8 of 14
19eighty5
Senior Contributor

Congratulations on your approval!

FICO 8 (Feb 2018):EX- 519, TU- 530, EQ- 545
FICO 8 (Sept 2022):EX- 706, TU- 685, EQ- 684
What's in my wallet:

Message 9 of 14
MartyWrite75
Valued Contributor

Congratulations on your approval!  

April 2024: Experian 769; Equifax 779; Transunion 781

Cards I Have:
Cap One QS: $600 (Sock drawer) || Cap One QS (#2): $6,200 (Sock drawer) || Discover It: $11,400 || Cap One Walmart: $600 (Sock drawer) || AMEX BCP: $8,900 || Amazon Prime Store Card: $10,000 || FNBO Rewards Visa: $2,600 || Discover Cash Back: $5,500 || Citi Custom Cash: $9,500 || Verizon VS Visa: $10,000 || Amex Hilton Honors: $10,000 || Amazon (Chase) Prime Rewards (VS): $9,500

Wishlist Cards:
Paypal Mastercard || Bread Mastercard

Gardening to 10/2024(ideally)
Total Utilization: 11%
Inquiries: Exp: (1) Trans: (0) Equif: (0)

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.