Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accept Discover CLI or wait for auto?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Accept Discover CLI or wait for auto?

I only have 3 credit cards and the oldest is a Cap 1 from May. I got this Discover It in September with a CL 6200. My third statement cut last night, so I hit the CLI Button just now and they approved $1500. I was afraid that if I didn't take it, they may lower the offer next time, but I canceled it anyway. I just couldn't decide whether I should wait to see if they do an auto and then hit the button after the auto? $1500 sound about right on a 6200 limit?

It's better than Cap1, I'll tell you that.   

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Accept Discover CLI or wait for auto?

I wouldn't wait for an auto increase. Take the offer, call them right after and ask for more. Worst that could happen is they say no or request a HP. IMO thats a decent increase on a decent starting limit.
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much OpenG. The more I think about it, I think I'll just take the $1500. It does sound pretty generous to me considering my short history. If I get up enough nerve, I'll call in too.

Message 3 of 13
Remedios
Credit Mentor

All of my auto CLIs happened about a week after the statement cut

If I were you, I'd wait a week, then if you dont get one, request it yourself 

That's just my personal experience, tho

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover gave me something like a $2600 starting limit when I applied. I however couldn't get an increase until my 8th statement, don't remember what it was but probably similar to your offer. After the first increase I had no problems get CLIs every 6mo or so. It's been a few years now but I currently have a 26.5k limit. Discover can be very generous with credit limits.
As far as calling after an increase, AKA "double dipping", seems to be a new thing. I haven't had any experience with the double dip. Good luck and let us know how it goes!
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'M HOME take the $1500. The last time I requested a cli I was offered $1100 and took it. On my next statement I noticed they had also given me another $700 in auto sometime after my request. Two months later the request cli link showed in app. Clicked and filled, another $2700.
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everyone for the helpful info. SinjCeridan, wow. That's encouraging. I decided to accept it because the CLI they gave me in 3 months is as much as my whole credit line on Cap1 ($1500) even after credit steps. I think I'll try a steady slow build instead of trying to race to the top. And Discover has been really good to me so far.

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well guess what happened? I just logged into my email for the first time in a few days and saw the email from where I requested a cli and got $1500, but then there was another one on the same day where Disco gave me an auto CLI of $1600! It said I was going from 6200 to 7800 due to my good credit management. They apparently were already in the process of raising it when I requested. Anyway, I'll take it!

Message 8 of 13
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Well guess what happened? I just logged into my email for the first time in a few days and saw the email from where I requested a cli and got $1500, but then there was another one on the same day where Disco gave me an auto CLI of $1600! It said I was going from 6200 to 7800 due to my good credit management. They apparently were already in the process of raising it when I requested. Anyway, I'll take it!

Now THIS is a Wow moment. Congratulations!!!!

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks CreditInspired! I'm so excited to get an auto inc for using good judgement and keeping my util low. Discover has been great for me. 

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.