Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Added BB&T Spectrum Cash Rewards Secured

tag
HindSight_20_20
Frequent Contributor

Added BB&T Spectrum Cash Rewards Secured

Soooooo I went into the BB&T here and asked about the Spectrum Cash Rewards Secured Card (I already knew a regular Spectrum was out of the question for me right now). 

They took my app and approved me - the lowest SCL you can start with is $400.00, the rep said review time is about a year before a PC to an unsecured card is usually doable.  They offer the same three secured cards as they do unsecured: Travel, Cash Back, & Low APR.

As you can see below my entire rebuild profile is 'secured' (with the exception of Indigo, Care Credit and my $300 Cap1 card, that just auto CLI to $500 with the credit steps program).

My plan is to use these cards for a year or so and grab their respective 'unsecured' counter parts. I will close Indigo just before the annual fee hits.

Really - I feel kind of 'low key' ashamed of the profile due to it being 90% secured with low CL's avg. about $200 - $400 but I understand the process and I'll work it until I'm able to graduate and be considered for healthier products.  

Throughout this year I'll update things to show how each of these cards has either helped / graduated with time and perhaps be able to post about a great 'instant approval' here before too long, say mid 2020 Smiley Wink

DP at time of app: FICO 8's = EQ 590 / TU 601 / EX 599

Lates: 5 spanning (3 to 7 months)

Collections: 1 (5 and a half years old) only shows on TU

AU on one 6 yr old account in great standings 0% UTL

Overall UTL on all my cards combined 60% ish

INQS 14 across the three CRs

Goal Score: EX 700|TU 700|EQ700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

HiltonHonors AMEX 2K | Amazon Store CC $800 | Bed Bath & Beyond 2K | Lowes CC 11K | Cap 1 Secured $500 | Cap 1 Plat $300 | Cap 1 Savor 1K |Citi Secured $200 | Target $500 | Kohl's $1K | Truist Cashback 4.5K | Penfed Power Cash Back 3.5K |Apple Pay CC 3K | Venmo Sig Visa 7.5K | SECU 13.5K | Bragg Mutual FCU 10K | Best Buy Citi Visa $2.5K | DiscoverIT CB 11.5K
9 REPLIES 9
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Added BB&T Spectrum Cash Rewards Secured

No shame friendSmiley Happy you are picking up some very respectable secured cards and establishing history. Cant wait to see if Captain Obvious shows up next yearSmiley Wink....ps this is a SouthPark joke for my fellow KennyiansSmiley Wink
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your approval !!!

Message 3 of 10
HindSight_20_20
Frequent Contributor

Smiley Very Happy @ Captain Obvious!  Smiley Very Happy

HiltonHonors AMEX 2K | Amazon Store CC $800 | Bed Bath & Beyond 2K | Lowes CC 11K | Cap 1 Secured $500 | Cap 1 Plat $300 | Cap 1 Savor 1K |Citi Secured $200 | Target $500 | Kohl's $1K | Truist Cashback 4.5K | Penfed Power Cash Back 3.5K |Apple Pay CC 3K | Venmo Sig Visa 7.5K | SECU 13.5K | Bragg Mutual FCU 10K | Best Buy Citi Visa $2.5K | DiscoverIT CB 11.5K
Message 4 of 10
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Never be ashamed of rebuilding. Those are perfect starter cards and you’ll be thankful for them in the future when you have prime cards with huge CLs. Congrats!

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 5 of 10
FicoGuy2019
Established Contributor

Slow progress is better than no progress.  This time last year I was in the low 500s.   Next year this time, if not before, I hope to be in the 800s.

Message 6 of 10
credit_is_crack
Valued Contributor

Congrats on the addition! There is ZERO shame in having a secured lineup. Way back when I had my USAA & BofA secured cards, and slowly but surely my profile strengthened opening up more and more doors. You're on the right path and saving yourself from ever dealing with some of those knucklehead predatory lenders -- good job!! 

Message 7 of 10
HindSight_20_20
Frequent Contributor

Thank you all very much I appreciate the words of encouragement.

I'm very inspired looking at all these amazing siggys especially knowing how the secured path was a part of the journey.

Work to do no doubt and I am ready, you all inspire me.

Thank you

Message 8 of 10
19eighty5
Senior Contributor

Congratulations!

FICO 8 (Feb 2018):EX- 519, TU- 530, EQ- 545
FICO 8 (Sept 2022):EX- 706, TU- 685, EQ- 684
What's in my wallet:

Message 9 of 10
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

Hindsight_20_20,

Congratulations on your approval. You have nothing to be ashamed of, because you’re rebuilding.  Use that piece of plastic wisely.  BB&T is an excellent bank, but they are conservative.  Pay it on time, rebuild a perfect payment history, keep your card utilization under 30% and you will be fine.  

Guyatthebeach

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.