Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Affinity FCU application

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Affinity FCU application

I've been making some changes on my credit and budget - trying to get rid of expenses I do not need and focus my wallet on cards that give me cashback. I came across some good reviews of Affinity FCU's Cash Rewards Visa Signagure card. I decided to apply on Sunday and figured I'd come here and share with you some observations.

The application process was smooth, no hiccups or anything like that. I did not hear anything on Monday, but did get a welcome email on Tuesday morning asking for proof of income and another form of proof of residence. I sent in my water utility bill and my most recent paystub.  Their lending dpt called and asked for a second paystub and told me I had been conditionally approved for $21,500. woo hoo! 

Today.. I get an email telling me my membership application had been denied. The message stated: We are sorry to inform you that we are unable to offer you membership at this time based on the information you provided in your application.  Obviously without the membership, I can't get the credit card... so I called and spoke to a very nice agent that told me she could not tell me anything beyond what the email stated. I asked to speak to a supervisor. We spoke for about five minutes and she insisted there was nothing they could do. I told her I work for the credit union association (i do) that I could provide any other documentation they could request (since I'm me). I asked to speak with her supervisor. She put me on hold and told me that her manager would call me within minutes, once she got off the phone. An hour went by and no call.  By this time I was thinking I should move on...

Then I got the approval email with my member number and a couple of minutes later I got the approval email for the credit card.

Here are some figures: my fico on the letter was 753 with Experian. My DTI ratio is pretty low and my util rate is about 10%. 

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Affinity FCU application

Congrats on your approval! 

Message 2 of 16
SweetCreditObsession
Valued Contributor

Wow, what a dramatic situation. Congratulations!

(+102) | (+106) | (+151)
| TU Fico 9: ? | Exp Fico 9: ? | EQ Fico 9: ?| EQ Fico 8 Bankcard: TBA

Initial Goal: Min. 740 w/all CRAs - Met
Interim Goal: 780 w/all CRAs - Met
Current Goal(s): Min. 800 w/all CRAs
Gardening Until: ??/??/202?| Last App: 10/20/2023

Message 3 of 16
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Congratulations on your approval!
Message 4 of 16
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Interesting sequence of events, congrats on getting it done Smiley Happy
Message 5 of 16
CreditAggie
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Congratulations on your Affinity FCU approval!

Current Cards (in order of approval):

Current FICO 8 | 9 (February 2024):  
Credit Age:  
Inquiries (6/12/24):  
Banks & CUs:

Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am confused. Did you donate the $5 to one of the two options they have on their site? Their membership page very clearly states who is eligible. 

Congrats on a sweet approval though. I would have fought for that kind of approval too!

Message 7 of 16
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Congratulations on your approval! ...

Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your approval!!!

Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I am confused. Did you donate the $5 to one of the two options they have on their site? Their membership page very clearly states who is eligible. 

Congrats on a sweet approval though. I would have fought for that kind of approval too!

I did. I actually signed up for the $5 contribution on the membership app. I don't think that's why they originally declined it. I think they are now trying to crack down on potential fraud by people opening up membership from outside their geographical area. Who knows. I did read posts elsewhere of people complaining about being turned down for no apparent reason. 

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.