Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After Multiple Denials Approved for the DISCOVER IT/ Student Status

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

After Multiple Denials Approved for the DISCOVER IT/ Student Status

Got denied the last two time I tried and now that my scores are 10 points more, borderline 560; I got approved for Discover IT.

Two things that changed is that I claimed student staatus since I am starting college again this semester(don’t know if that made a difference) I also lowered my rent amount since I am moving to a cheaper place.

After my charge offs and collections that add up to 6 after my divorce.

I have gotten a self lender loan this past month that will start reporting payments at the end of this month.

I reaged my Nordstrom Visa card which is the only real card I still have with a 2k limit which is at 96% util.

I also obtained the MyJewelersClub account which helped me with util and raised my scores 84 points in the last month.

I heard of how this card graduates and offers great CLI, ready for it.

Now my question is what are the Data points for those of you that put 200$/ VS 500$ deposit what type of CLI did you get at graduation? My goal is to have all of my collections paid off by graduation date. Scores should be in the mid to late 600’s by then.

I am not getting any other cards as I will start getting ready to buy a house after this. This is such a booster and validates that I am on track.

From Denial to approval only a matter of time.

8 REPLIES 8
CreditRebuilder2020
Frequent Contributor

Re: After Multiple Denials Approved for the DISCOVER IT/ Student Status

@Anonymous wrote:

Got denied the last two time I tried and now that my scores are 10 points more, borderline 560; I got approved for Discover IT.

Two things that changed is that I claimed student staatus since I am starting college again this semester(don’t know if that made a difference) I also lowered my rent amount since I am moving to a cheaper place.

After my charge offs and collections that add up to 6 after my divorce.

I have gotten a self lender loan this past month that will start reporting payments at the end of this month.

I reaged my Nordstrom Visa card which is the only real card I still have with a 2k limit which is at 96% util.

I also obtained the MyJewelersClub account which helped me with util and raised my scores 84 points in the last month.

I heard of how this card graduates and offers great CLI, ready for it.

Now my question is what are the Data points for those of you that put 200$/ VS 500$ deposit what type of CLI did you get at graduation? My goal is to have all of my collections paid off by graduation date. Scores should be in the mid to late 600’s by then.

I am not getting any other cards as I will start getting ready to buy a house after this. This is such a booster and validates that I am on track.

From Denial to approval only a matter of time.

Smiley Indifferent

Reaged that Nordstram card ..... but pay that sucker down! 

Congrats on the approval and work on zeroing out anything you've got left on balances and those scores will go way up. Discover is very finicky with graduation and CLI's. Mine took 18 months before it graduated even though my scores were well into the 650's with my EX FICO, TU was a bit lower  but still. 

Then I hear others who get graduated after 6 months and immediately get bumped up to $1000. It's a crap shoot. 

X1 VISA SIG $15,500/ AMEX Gold / Petal 1 $3600 / Wells Fargo Active Cash VISA $3K / VENMO Visa $900 / Verizon Visa $2K / Apple Card $1500 SL / Wyndham Rewards Earner Visa $500 / WALGREENS Store $1K / Amazon Store $5000 SL/ Discover IT Chrome $2500K / BP Prime Rewards VISA $4350 / PayPal MC $3500 / BOA BankAmericard $2K / BOA Cash Rewards $1K / Cap One Savor One $1200 / Cap One QS1 $950 / Blaze MC $2250 / Credit One $850 / Credit One AMEX $1200 / OpenSky $600 / AvantCard $1000 / Discover IT Cash Back (Graduated) $400 / eBay MC $750
FEB '22 EX: 698 EQ: 700 TU: 713 | UTL: 23% | Total Credit Limit: $54000
Goal Score: 675 for all FICOS (ACHIEVED NOVEMBER 2021) | NEW GOAL SCORE: 725 for ALL FICOs
Message 2 of 9
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

CongratsSmiley Happy Put a small recurring charge on it and pif and concentrate on lowering your cc debt. Work on your baddies and things will get better. Best of luckSmiley Happy
Message 3 of 9
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Congrats on your approval 

Message 4 of 9
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Grats on the Discover card Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 9
1hotcat
Regular Contributor

CONGRATS ON YOU APPROVAL !!!!

Did you go the pre qualify site 1st ? 

Everytime I go thru the pre qualify it tells me that I have no offers most because the new accounts in my siggy . I wonder does Discover regconize the secure card as a offer versus the other non-secure cards . I just want to get in with the family . 

Starting Scores:

Starting Score: 500
Current Score: 727
Goal Score: 740 (All 3 Bureau's) June 2024 **

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
The 1st stone looks just like a stone until one day you realize that you put one on top of the other and now it's a skyscraper .  

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes the pre-approval for the secured was through the pre-qual. hang in there as this was my third try. i allowed my acounts and payment history to age beyond six month and ny score increased when added myself to my dad’s card as an au, so that combined with the details above did it.

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your approval!

Message 8 of 9
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Congrats on your new Disco it card!

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.